Specialty Restaurants

Giantfan13

My wife and I are booked on the Jewel in August. We both are on sort of restrictive diets, in that we do not eat meat and we do not eat shellfish. A sort of Kosher type diet. We do eat most other fish and anything else that is not from meat, like pasta dishes, and any vegetarian entrees. We have crusied many times and always have eaten in the main dining room, as we know they always have food we can eat.

My question, after reading so much about the specialty restaurants on the NCL fleet, are we missing out. We have always been told that becasue we have such limited things we can eat, it would be foolish to pay extra and not be able to enjoy the entire experience. Is this true?

Would it be worth going to the specialty restaurants and only be able to order certain things, or does it pay for us to just stay in the main dining room??

Hi, If I remember correctly most if not all of the specialty restaurants have a fish dish and a vegetarian dish. In Le Bistro this past September, my husband enjoyed swordfish while I had tenderloin.

Many times I have found the actual menus for all the specialties by doing a search, then you can see all the choices for yourself, before you go.

AND all the menus are posted outside of the actual restaurants on the ships.

Check out the menus at the link Bakerintn posted. I just did and all I can say is, 'Mmmmmmmmmm...' - not just the specialties, but the main dining rooms as well. I'm so looking forward to trying some of the new items and re-experiencing some of the old ones. :) Did Cagney's have the portobello mushroom appetizer last year? I don't know, but I will absolutely be tasting it Sunday night!!

Anyway... back to the original topic... peruse the menus. All the specialties have items that should fit with your needs. You shouldn't feel a need to try them, in my opinion, since the main dining rooms have a lot to offer as well - and in fact I always feel like I'm missing something when I miss a main dining room meal in lieu of a specialty... it's all about whether you want what's on the menu. :)

The food looks yummy. Has anyone tried the hot pot? Is that at the Asian venue/sushi bar? This is the first menu I've seen on a cruise ship that has 'real sushi' as opposed to just fake fish and veggies!

The only cruise we have been on is the Coral Princess to Alaska. At the end of the cruise, we were running to the Chinese restaurants in Vancouver. I now live in San Diego with a wide variety of restaurants. I felt that the food on the ship was very 'middle of the Americas': meat, potatoes, vegetable (in that order). Don't get me wrong...I grew up in Kansas...:D

Archived