Port Canaveral Questions

We are considering a cruise on Freedom of the Seas in Feb 2010. We will be flying into Orlando. What is the best transportation (over than renting a car) to and from the airport? Any info on cost? Any good recommendations for hotels that are within walking distance of the pier?

I have already checked the departure boards, but I hoping to get more info here.

I would appreciate any advice I can get.

Thanks!!

Strange that the "I Work In Port Canaveral" thread is gone! It was a real jewel ...

I'll give you the info that I can. There used to be a great shuttle service called Art's, but they are no longer what they used to be. Apparently there are a couple of other shuttles that do the route from the airport to the port. If you search on this board for shuttle and Port Canaveral you should be able to find several different options.

A rental car is really the easiest way to get out to the port, so if you're able to drive you may look into that. It is such an easy drive. I hate highway driving but have no problem with that trip. It is 45 minutes straight out a toll road. No getting lost in city traffic, no lights, etc. etc. Once you navigate your way out of the airport then it is a quick trip.

As to hotels, there are none within walking distance of the Port. Here are a few close options that are frequently recommended:

Radisson at the Port

Country Inn and Suites

Residence Inn

If you're staying longer than the night you might want to consider staying on the Beach, just so you can extend your vacation!

I was actually looking for the same information, however looking for recommendations for limo company's. I posted on the Florida board as well, but only received one response. Anyone here have any suggestions for Limo's for eight people?

Thanks.

We were on the Marner in Nov. and stayed at the Radisson at the Port. Not walking distance, but had a shuttle to the pier. It was very prompt and orderly. Nice outside bar by the pool and a restaurant. They also will alllow you to use their shuttle to restaurants that that are within 5 miles of the hotel. Used it to get to fish lips on the water and it was fun.

We used co co beach shuttle to and from the airport who were very reasonable (I think 20 dollars pp). Never rented a car because its a hassle to drive and have to fill up with gas.

We used FL Tours for a cruise out of Port Canaveral and was not happy with the return experience. I'll have to dig up the post I posted on the DIS DCL board because I can't recall the exact details now; but it had something to do with some surprising $50'ish cash "late charge" that we weren't prepared for when we were picked up at the port. I think Cruisinmama recommends another Florida private car service, but I can't recall the name so maybe she'll chime in. We had a very good experience with Sunray Transportation this December for a WDW to MCO route (not port canaveral), but they only have towncar or SUV service for up to 6 people. Many on various boards have also recommended Happy Limo but I have no experience with that company. Another place I've seen recommended on other boards is Quicksilver Tours & Transportation; but again I don't have any personal experience.

We used FL Tours for a cruise out of Port Canaveral and was not happy with the return experience. I'll have to dig up the post I posted on the DIS DCL board because I can't recall the exact details now; but it had something to do with some surprising $50'ish cash "late charge" that we weren't prepared for when we were picked up at the port. I think Cruisinmama recommends another Florida private car service, but I can't recall the name so maybe she'll chime in. We had a very good experience with Sunray Transportation this December for a WDW to MCO route (not port canaveral), but they only have towncar or SUV service for up to 6 people. Many on various boards have also recommended Happy Limo but I have no experience with that company. Another place I've seen recommended on other boards is Quicksilver Tours & Transportation; but again I don't have any personal experience.

Guess wev'e been lucky with FL Tours.We have used them for eight trips in total and never had a problem at all.

The late charge thing is something I'll keep in mind.

Keith

We stayed at the Orlando Holiday Inn Express on Conway Road last month for about $100/room and it had a free airport shuttle. We then did a rental car from Orlando to Pier, and it was a breeze! The car rental agencies all do shuttles between the pier and their rental offices (1-2 miles away), so you drop your car off and just take a shuttle to the ship, and when you disembark, you just take a shuttle to the car rental agency, pick up your car, and away you go. Truly is a straight shot from Orlando to the Port Canaveral. Also, having a car gives you the opportunity to visit Cape Canaveral afterwards and beat the crowds if you want.

We were on the Marner in Nov. and stayed at the Radisson at the Port. Not walking distance, but had a shuttle to the pier. It was very prompt and orderly. Nice outside bar by the pool and a restaurant. They also will alllow you to use their shuttle to restaurants that that are within 5 miles of the hotel. Used it to get to fish lips on the water and it was fun.

We used co co beach shuttle to and from the airport who were very reasonable (I think 20 dollars pp). Never rented a car because its a hassle to drive and have to fill up with gas.

I have to agree... we were on the Mariner in August and used Cocoa Beach Shuttle to get from the airport to Radisson and had great service. Also our stay at the Radisson was wonderful. If you get a chance search Radisson at the port on webshots to get some nice pics of hotel and pool area. We happened to have a room on the correct side of the building, so that when we opened our curtains Sunday morning we could see the Mariner. (from a distance of course, it is not that close).

We've used Cocoa Beach shuttle 3 times in the last year, yesterday most recently. They charged us $75 for the 4 of us, one-way port to airport. They have always been reliable for us. Also stayed at the Radisson and the Residence Inn, both are very nice hotels.

we used Cocoa Beach Shuttle last year for hotel to port and then post-cruise from the port to MCO. They were great and we recommend them.

FYI, we were in PC 2 days pre-cruise and used a rental from Budget from MCO to the hotel.

we used happy limo from the airport to windsor hills and then windsor hills to the port.

They were great, on time and even upgraded us free from a town car to a stretch limo for the ride from the airport.

The driver loaded our bags and was there to meet us at the airport with a name board.

All in all a great service plus you do not pay upfront.

Archived