Buenos Aires Questions

Keith1010

I had a couple of questions for our upcoming cruise.

When we leave Buenos Aires for our return flight back to the United States, is there a departure tax that US citizens have to pay at the airport ticket counter. If so, does anyone know how much and if you have to pay it in US currency?

In terms of tipping. How much do we tip at the restaurants? How about for taxi drivers?

Thanks,

Keith

Yes at the airport in buenos aires you have to pay about $18.00 pp in their currency last time i went to buenos aires was last year. At restaurants you tip whatever you desire. The dollar right now she be at $2.59 . For taxi drivers again whatever you desire.

I have an information sheet from Discovery World Cruises in front of me that explicitly states the airport departure fee must be paid in United States currency ONLY. It is possible the sheet is wrong but if I have to choose between what someone on this board tells me and what the cruise line claims, I will go with the cruise line. It does say the amount is $18 USD.

R&M,

I have just checked the website for Argentina and airport tax and Kitty Travel is correct.

The airport tax is ARS18 not US dollars. It was changed from US dollars to ARS in 2002. As far as I know, no country in the world charges their airport tax in a different currency from what is the currency of that country and in Argentina's case ARS is the currency.

You say that you would rather believe what the cruise line claims, than what is written on this board. I have experienced first hand that often the cruise lines are completely wrong in their claims or are behind the times.

I do know that on this board there are people who have travelled in South America and have first hand knowledge of what to expect.

Jennie

Currency fluctuates daily, so if you are paying in Argentine money, the USD amount will be different, as the value of the dollar changes relative to the Argentinian money.

I would think, but don't know that you would pay in the local currency.

jc

R&M,

As far as I know, no country in the world charges their airport tax in a different currency from what is the currency of that country.

Jennie

Chile demands that you pay $100.00 US as you enter the country.

First of all I will like to say thank you R&M, Will have gonna to argentina about 4 times already, last time I was there was june 7-18, it could have been possible that from june 19 to now the price meant have gonna higher, but other then that I remember paying $18.00 argentine currency. In chile if go out of the airport you will pay $100.00, if you're just connecting you don't pay the $100.00..

Thank you all for the information. It looks like it is US $18.00.

Roger, you mentioned that they will take cash. Do you know if they will take US Dollars or if I will need to pay in Peso's? Also, you mentioned that they take Master Card or American Express. Do you know if they also take Visa?

Keith

New Info on the Departure Taxes. I am now sitting in the B.A. departure lounge they now take Mastercard and Visa Cards. They also take Pesos, US Dollars and Euros. They do not take American Express. The amount is US$ 18.00 converted to the Peso Rate of the day and today it was 2.9? or 53.01 Pesos

Regards

Roger

Archived