Folkloric show - private or Princess?

Susnyk

I am hoping to hear from some recent Princess cruisers who either saw or heard about the folkloric show that Princess offers on board the ship - and how it compares with the one(s) offered in St. Petersburg by the private tour companies. We are using DenRus during the two-day visit, but I am concerned about being too tired that first night to go out again. If the show on the ship is decent, it could be a good alternative.

Any comments, please? Thanks, Susan

I've never been on Princess or any other cruise yet but I am very familar with the folk performances in St Petersburg. If you have the energy to stay out after dinner, I would recommend a first time visitor to attend one of the "Feel Yourself Russian" folk perfomances, it is great fun and a very good show. Most of your tour will be in vans so you will not be walking miles. Although the days will be packed, it is not terribly demanding physically. If you had time and the energy, taking in a performance at the Mariinsky Theater can be the high point of any visit to Russia for ballet or concert fans. Spending as much time as possible in the city among Russians is a sure way to really fall in love with St Petersbrug.

When is your trip. If it is during late spring or summer, energy will not be a problem. Due to the loooonnngggg days and midnight sun we call White Nights, everyone seems to have unlimited energy and most people seem to keep running for ever with little sleep. You can feel the energy just stepping outside during that part of the year. Getting to bed before 3-4 A.M. is normal even for people who work in the morning. That contrasts the overly long winters with overly short days, sometimes with sunrise at 11:30 A.M. and setting at 3:30P.M., a result of being 500 miles of the arctic circle.

Have a great visit

Stan

• 2 weeks later...

susnyk- I was on the Grand Princess this past June. My husband and I did our tour of St Petersburg with Denrus and loved every minute of it. In the evening, we did the ships' evening folkloric show because this was our first trip to Russia and we didn't want to miss anything. The show we saw was at a large Soviet era auditorium ajacent to the Anitchov Palace. While the show was good, it wasn't wonderful and the venue was not spectacular - rather run down. When we returned to the ship, we were able to see some of the 10PM folk show. Looking back, if I had to do it all over again, I would relax after a very busy day, have a nice dinner in the dining room,(we only had time to rush up to the buffet before leaving), and then go the show on the ship. Any other questions you have, I'll be happy to answer.

Oops! mek, I didn't see your reply to this question until I had already posted the previous note. The option of staying on the ship and going to the ship's Russian show is definitely a possibility. What did you think of the ship's show? Was it put on by the crew or by local talent? I am really thinking of doing just what you did, but, on the other hand, I may never have another chance to go to St. Petersburg and I'd hate to miss out on something wonderful while I have the chance. Susan

The performers on the ship were local talent. I thought it was very good. The problem with the folkloric show off ship was that I love balalika music and in fact expected to hear some during the performance. Unfortunately, this never happened. Also wanted to see some cossack dancing, which for the most part was absent. It was more folk dancing, with women and men in traditional costumes as well as some military men singing, who really did have great voices, but most of the songs they sang seemed the same. I do know that other evening show are available independently of the ship and also you can arrange for this option with Denrus. If you really don't want to miss anything, perhaps you could arrange for a dinner in St Petersburg that night saving time by not going back to the ship, see a show and still be back in time to catch the 10PM show on the ship. Probably an extremely long day, but when will you get the chance to go back to Russia?

Archived