Labadee - sea lice?

dylan26

• 2 weeks later...

Having never heard of this (and I'm going to be in Labadee in March) I decided to look into "sea lice". I learned that they are not lice at all... they are the larvae of a certain kind of jellyfish. They are common in all warm tropical waters.

Since I plan to swim in Labadee... I wanted to know how to best reduce (or limit) my chances of being stung.

"Prevention:

Outbreaks of seabather's eruption occur intermittently between March and August, but they appear to peak during early April through early July. There have been many days when no infestations have occurred. Beach goers need to listen to local beach reports and observe daily posted beach messages in affected areas. The following recommendations may also help in minimizing the number of stings:

1. Each beach goer needs to assess his or her individual risk of an immune response. Persons with a history of a severe reaction should confine their beach activities to land, or use pool facilities instead, during outbreaks.

2. Swimmers should avoid wearing T-shirts while in the ocean. Use of a topical sunscreen and limiting sun exposure protects against solar injury. There is some evidence that use of a topical sunscreen or suntan lotion may actually protect skin from penetration by the nematocysts.

3. Women should consider two-piece instead of one-piece bathing suits, to reduce the surface area of swimwear that could trap larvae. It is possible that smooth, tight weave bathing suits may trap fewer larvae than suits with an open-weave fabric.

4. After ocean exposure, swimmers need to change out of their bathing suits as soon as possible after exiting from the water. Most lesions have occurred from contact with contaminated swimwear. Removal of possibly contaminated swimwear, followed by a shower to rinse off loose larvae, should limit the number of stings. If showers are in a public area, it is suggested that people bring a second suit to the beach; after removing the first, possibly contaminated suit, they can don the second suit and then shower. Showering with fresh water while still wearing a contaminated bathing suit could cause discharge of nematocysts trapped in the fabric of the suit.

Bathing suits should be thoroughly washed with detergent and heat-dried after use. Some have experienced a recurrence of symptoms when wearing suits that had only been air-dried. Air-dried nematocysts still have the potential to fire. A person who has had a severe reaction may be wise to discard the infested suit."

If you want more info, check out this website:

http://www.oe.fau.edu/faculty/mcallister/sealice.htm

ETA: The reason watershoes are suggested is that the beaches are very coarse (coral). It's hard to walk into and out the water barefooted. Don't try to go barefoot on the sand, either. It's blistering hot.

Thank you so much, the link proved interesting and I hadn't come across that one before. We are going our first cruise during the first two weeks of April, so although we'll possibly get off at Labadee I really don't think I would want to risk swimming. Pity really but an excuse to go to the Carribean again during the winter!

The lotion you're looking for is called Sea Safe. I always order mine online but I've heard some dive shops sell it too. We've been to Labadee several times and haven't had a problem ever with sea lice. We have problems with it sometimes when we go to Destin in the Florida Panhandle. One piece bathing suits make it worse because the water is caught in your suit. A two piece works much better. Sea Safe also helps protect against jelly fish stings too so I always put it on my daughter when we're snorkeling.

The lotion you're looking for is called Sea Safe. I always order mine online but I've heard some dive shops sell it too. We've been to Labadee several times and haven't had a problem ever with sea lice. We have problems with it sometimes when we go to Destin in the Florida Panhandle. One piece bathing suits make it worse because the water is caught in your suit. A two piece works much better. Sea Safe also helps protect against jelly fish stings too so I always put it on my daughter when we're snorkeling.

Thanks for the info on Sea Safe. I've read about it online, but wasn't sure how effective it is. My son has very finicky skin and often has problems in salt water which we think has been attributed to sea lice. I will definitely order this lotion before we go. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks folks, have managed to buy some Sea Safe here in the UK via the internet so am feeling much happier now. Only two and a bit weeks to go, can't wait to get away from the cold and rain here!!:)

Archived