Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, Manzanillo

MommyCruisers

I am a bit perplexed as to what to do in the last two ports on my list.

Acapulco Either Palao Island Club or Jet boats

Zihuatanejo/ Ixtapa: no clue

Manzanillo: i have no clue what to do

All I am seeing are shoping tours, dolphins, atv's and things i am not too interested in and i know the men in my group will like some of it but this is a family trip and we all want to be involved. I could use some good suggestions. thank you.

We are leaving for those ports shortly, so I'll post more when I get back, but we have been to Manzanilla before and it is really not a tourist city - not too much of interest to see. We will be taking a ship shore excurision at this port. I have heard a lot of people go to Las Hadas resort for the day (day pass around $25)

DH and I did Zihua in 2006, we took a water taxi over to a beach we had seen from the ship.. it was a couple of dollars each. You then walk the beach until you find the perfect spot, there's lots of chair, umbrellas and little bars wanting your business. You sit all day in the wonderful sun and water, just buy some drinks and they treat you like royalty! I even got a massage for $20, the best no, but not even the worst I've ever had. Just remember to re-apply your sunscreen. Looking back it was one of the best days of our cruise.

DH and I did Zihua in 2006, we took a water taxi over to a beach we had seen from the ship.. it was a couple of dollars each. You then walk the beach until you find the perfect spot, there's lots of chair, umbrellas and little bars wanting your business. You sit all day in the wonderful sun and water, just buy some drinks and they treat you like royalty! I even got a massage for $20, the best no, but not even the worst I've ever had. Just remember to re-apply your sunscreen. Looking back it was one of the best days of our cruise.

We are also going to Acapulco soon. We have seen much of the coast line. Very nice. Zihua is a nice place to lounge around. not much more to do there. Who are you using for the palao and shotover in Acapulco? We are also interested in similar activities.

If you go to Las Gatos, go to OTILIAS which is the next to last restaurant on the beach, good food...and ask where ROSA is if you want a massage...but prices have gone up.

If you don't want to go to that beach, grab a taxi for 3 bucks and go to PATY'S MAR Y MAR on the beach at La Ropa, great food, clean banos and you might see me there....I be napping under a palapa probably, after my daily shrimp cocktail.....It's almost a mile long beach, Las Gatos is much, much smaller if you like to beach walk...

If you go to Las Gatos, go to OTILIAS which is the next to last restaurant on the beach, good food...and ask where ROSA is if you want a massage...but prices have gone up.

If you don't want to go to that beach, grab a taxi for 3 bucks and go to PATY'S MAR Y MAR on the beach at La Ropa, great food, clean banos and you might see me there....I be napping under a palapa probably, after my daily shrimp cocktail.....It's almost a mile long beach, Las Gatos is much, much smaller if you like to beach walk...

I like to sit and enjoy a few drinks and i love fresh shrimp cocktail. Are there activities for my husband and son? they would like atv's and all the man stuff. it will be great for me if they can enjoy themselves too.

Zihua is the favored port on this cruise, we rent a scooter and visit Ixtappa. Many brouse and shop, a water taxi across the bay to a nice beach is also popular, below is a pic of zihua

STP61894.jpg

Manzanillo is the least favorite port. Pick your favorite tour and enjoy

I asked a similar question on Trip Advisor and I think they want me to join a club. In case you are with us who are you using in Acapulco? We want to go to Taxco and would like to enjoy some local activities. There are 8 of us traveling together. Thank you

my photoshow of acapulco, manzanillo, zihatenejo

Photoshow of our mexican cruise...

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/uj7YN4ZE

my suggestions..

1. acapulco...cliff divers of course....or goto villa vera resort and see villa where elizabeth taylor married and where lana turner lived

2. manzanillo...visit las hadas resort...watch '10' movie to prepare

3. zihuatenejo/ixtaPA...take taxi to hotel barcelo and relax on beach or just walk through zihuatenjo town...great beachs and resorts especially at la ropa beach in zihua...

I like to sit and enjoy a few drinks and i love fresh shrimp cocktail. Are there activities for my husband and son? they would like ATVs and all the man stuff. it will be great for me if they can enjoy themselves too.

No ATVs on the beach at la Ropa..(BTW, ATVs are not legal on any Mexican beach but unfortunately,nobody cares what the laws are...) However, you can rent wave runners, small sailboats, banana rides and parachutes in front of Paty's.....

We are also going to Acapulco soon. We have seen much of the coast line. Very nice. Zihua is a nice place to lounge around. not much more to do there. Who are you using for the palao and shotover in Acapulco? We are also interested in similar activities.

My wife and I have been visiting Acapulco each year for the past 10 years. We like Acapulco it is a good location for visiting other parts of Mexico. We usually stay at the Copacabana Hotel. Just about 3 blocks from the copa is a small bar on the corner called Tequisol and we like to stop in on occasion for a pina colada. Next door is a travel office called Intersol Tours you can't miss them. We hire them each time we visit Acapulco. They provide all of our transportation when we are in town and we use them for all of our travel in Mexico. We have used them for both Palao Island Club and the one day tour to Taxco. Both are excellent experiences. You can visit their website at http://www.intersoltours.com Tell them James from Portland sent you. They are wonderful people. The owner and I play guitar together by the pool when we get a chance. If you visit them tell Abel we said Hola.

We did Aca, and Zihea last Jan. Biggest bang for our buck in ACA was taking a little lass bottom boat (called the Dinka)for 8.00 just as we got off the ship.We had 1 1/2 tour. It is a locals ride to Fantastico Island.(and back but you get could off there if you wanted to)

Z was our favorite place. very laid back and quiet. We did not go over to Itaxpa.

My wife and I have been visiting Acapulco each year for the past 10 years. We like Acapulco it is a good location for visiting other parts of Mexico. We usually stay at the Copacabana Hotel. Just about 3 blocks from the copa is a small bar on the corner called Tequisol and we like to stop in on occasion for a pina colada. Next door is a travel office called Intersol Tours you can't miss them. We hire them each time we visit Acapulco. They provide all of our transportation when we are in town and we use them for all of our travel in Mexico. We have used them for both Palao Island Club and the one day tour to Taxco. Both are excellent experiences. You can visit their website at http://www.intersoltours.com Tell them James from Portland sent you. They are wonderful people. The owner and I play guitar together by the pool when we get a chance. If you visit them tell Abel we said Hola.

Wow! Thank you so much this is really a cool comment and is what we were looking for exactly. We like to have fun and I think you just hooked us up to the fun connection Mr.Blues. You see the Trolley? If you have the blues there is nothing like New Orleans baby. I will throw you some beads!

New Orleans in Acapulco, don't laugh it can happen. Global warming. I did not just say that. Penguins in Acapulco? Anyone have Al Gores number, I have a question. Too funny. Smile people. Many Hugs. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Mr.Blues, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your advice. Our experience has been flawless and you were the person that helped us the most. Thank you, thank you, thank you. We have been to Tequisol too!! Excellent Pina Coladas!!! Gotta run.. going to Taxco this morning. Will keep you posted.

I am a bit perplexed as to what to do in the last two ports on my list.

Acapulco Either Palao Island Club or Jet boats

Manzanillo: i have no clue what to do

All I am seeing are shoping tours, dolphins, atv's and things i am not too interested in and i know the men in my group will like some of it but this is a family trip and we all want to be involved. I could use some good suggestions. thank you.

In Manzanillo I used Paco of Chimal Tours chimaltour@prodigy.net.mx, and had a great day. We went to the turtle farm, The Magic zone, Comala and Copala (or what ever the name of the other town is called). It was great.

Z - We walked around on the beach, did some shopping. The shops are great there. Had lunch and beers. It's a good place for walking around.

In Manzanillo I used Paco of Chimal Tours chimaltour@prodigy.net.mx, and had a great day. We went to the turtle farm, The Magic zone, Comala and Copala (or what ever the name of the other town is called). It was great.

I just got back and we too used Paco @ chimaltour for a private tour in Manzinillo to the Sea turtle preserve......he was very reasonable, transporatation was top notch, and guide was excellent. $45 pp for a 7 hour tour, included great lunch and drinks....would highly recommend. He also responded very quickly via email......

We found that Zihautanejo was our favorite of the three stops. We were aboard NCL last February and took the ship's city walking tour.

We became entranced with the quaintness of this beautiful, little fishing village. There was nobody sticking out their hand for a handout. The locals accepted us (tourist) as what we were and nothing more. Our favorite location during the tour was the local market. This large building was packed full of different families, all selling their different wares. It was interesting how meat was hung up and the fish etc. was displayed.

The guide was very knowlegable and spoke with pride about their village and it's history......

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any experience taking photos in the markets? Specifically the meat and fish hanging? Some places we've gone to expect a tip and other places don't want a photo taken at all. I'm curious as to how it's handled in Zih (and Manzanillo & Acapulco, for that matter).

TIA

We have had no problems with taking pictures in Mexico. Zihua has a small but interesting main market with all the good stuff hanging (within walking distance of the pier). I wish I had taken pics.

We did have trouble one time in Marrakesh (Muslim Morocco north Africa). I snapped a pic of a small juggling act from a distance. The act immediately broke up in front of a crowd of a dozen nearby spectators, and they all came running at me. Blew me away! (never did tip them)

Next month we plan to Carnival Splendor visit the main market in Mazatlan to catch a pic of the "catch of the day" and I anticipate no problems. We have not visited the central markets in Acapulco or Mazanillo.

I wish we had tipped the Mazatlan fisherman below as he was patient and kind (02/09). We are planning on dropping by his spot again to see if he has any Durado, and I plan to tip him .

IMG_8000.jpg

Thanks bobnsofi. We were thinking of taking a taxi over to Playa La Ropa for awhile and then come back and just walk around Zih & check out the town.

Did the shops 'shut down' at any certain time (that you noticed) for siesta or anything?

It seems from chatting with the ex-pat locals that Zihua comes alive when a cruise ship is in the bay, so we have not experienced siesta closures. The central market was a tight mismash of leanto pathways, and some smells only the locals could love. Zihua can be hot HOT humid HUMID, a water taxi could be more comfortable than the wrong auto taxi. As you likely know, Zihua is a favorite port due to it's quaint village and bayside views/beaches

Playa La Ropa

IMG_3803.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3812-1.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_2998-1.jpg

Beach near Tender Pier

IMG_3830-1.jpg

Thanks for the photos! Two more questions (for now, anyway). ;)

1. Do you feel that Playa La Ropa is safe for two females traveling alone?

2. We can either take a taxi or a water taxi to Playa La Ropa? Where would we catch either of those?

I appreciate your help!

Zihua is a quaint little village that is tourist oriented; thus seems safe. The cruise ship tenders to a pier. On and near the pier are many vendors offering tours and water taxi rides.

Many folks water taxi to the Playa Las Gatas bay beach for an inexpensive desolate natural surroundings beach adventure with some snorkeling.

Playa Las Ropas is a long beautiful bay beach lined with small bars, eateries, small hotels, etc. The beach at the cruise pier is much the same, except not as long. It would be a nice safe walk with interesting sights and good exercise the walk the length of Playa Las Ropas beach.

Auto taxis are a few feet away on the street behind the tender pier beach.

Typical beachfront - Playas Las Ropas

STP61962.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

Archived