Shops opened on a holiday in Aruba??

cruizn2escape

I posted this on the ports of call post but thought someone on this board might know as well.

We will be in Aruba on Feb 4th which is a Wed. but according to Aruba.com Feb 4th is a holiday called Carnival Monday. Will the shops be open that day? I would think with a cruise ship in port they would be open, but... just wanted to know if anyone has first hand experience with this. Thanks in advance for your help.

We were on the New Years cruise on the Zuiderdam and docked at Aruba on New Years Day. There were very few stores open. Diamonds International, one of the first shops away from the pier, was absolutely mobbed with shoppers. Only one souvenir type store selling tshirts, caps, etc. was open, and that was incredibly crowded as well. The local market was closed when we arrived there but then a few vendors started setting up about noon, by which time most of us were headed back to the ship. Didn't see very many restaurants open either. We ended up doing lots more strolling and shopping the next day in Curacao.

I don't know if other holidays are similar to New Years for closings, but if they are, it will be pretty quiet in Oranjestad.

We were in Aruba last year during carnival, and if my memory serves me correctly... I think that the shops were open til 12 noon. There may be a few souvenir shops open, as I remember buying some souvenirs before getting back on the ship! :)

Hey Marilyn !

Based on info at visitaruba.com, Carnival Monday is 2/23 this year, so should not be a factor when we visit on 2/4.

Must be that the calendar at aruba.com is last year's, as they show Easter as 3/23 when in fact it is 4/12 this year.

Mike

Hey Marilyn !

Based on info at visitaruba.com, Carnival Monday is 2/23 this year, so should not be a factor when we visit on 2/4.

Must be that the calendar at aruba.com is last year's, as they show Easter as 3/23 when in fact it is 4/12 this year.

Mike

Thanks, Mike! I quess I didn't even think about it being the 2008 calendar! I know Easter is in April so...

Archived