Transportation from Rome to the cruise terminal Civitavecchia

sdagenais

I can't get enough of you talkin about trains in Italy. How about this...it is so much cheaper to take the train then a cab from Roma to port so could we buy an extra seat to put our luggage on??? what do you think?? Total of 3 weeks with the cruise and add on time I don't think we can pare down our luggage.

We had 2 med bags, 2 smaller bags, and 2 backpacks for our 3 week trip in Oct. If you leave Roma around 10:30 or so you will probably find the train not overcrowded. At least that is what we found on our last trip. There were a total of 6 adults in the entire train car. Plenty of extra seats for baggage. Even if you bought an extra ticket (not necessary), I'm not certain that the locals would understand the concept.

• 1 month later...

Question regarding transportation from rome to port. We are travelling with 13 people (3 kids but are over 14) with 1 luggage each; since we are a large group; is the train to the port recommended or hiring a van? Thank you....

I think you'd be much better off with a van--one of the sites that was recommended here had very large vans for very reasonable prices. Can't remember if it was rome cabs--something like that. I have taken the train mutiple times but I think with a large group and so much luggage a van is really WAY better!

Cathy

• 1 year later...

I saw on another site that said: There are not any trains that go directly from the airport to Civitavecchia.

Can somebody confirm that it's true?

Does it also mean there is no direct train service from Civitavecchia to FCO as well?

If that's true, then on the last day when we leave the ship for FCO for the 12:15pm flight, it will be very tight to take the train first to Roma Termini, then connect the Leonardo Express to FCO, not to mention the fare.

You have to change trains to get from the airport to the port and vice versa.

You can take the local train from the airport to Trastevere and change there for the train to Civitavecchia. Or, you can take the Leonardo Express from the airport to Termini Station and get a train to Civitavecchia.

There's pretty good video of this on Youtube as well as some good info on this subject on tripadvisor.com.

• 2 years later...

I fully agree with the recommendations to take the train from the port into Rome, or in the reverse direction. It is easy, and inexpensive. It will involve a bit of a walk at each end. In Rome, the tracks used for this trip are a bit of a hike from the main part of the station. In the port, you will have to walk four blocks or so to catch the free shuttle bus at the port gate that takes you to the cruise terminal and the ship. Thank goodness for luggage with wheels. I have found several references that warn about theft on the train. Keep a close eye on your baggage. Keep it near you rather than in the rack at the end of the train carriage. Be alert and all will be well.

BA

I saw on another site that said: There are not any trains that go directly from the airport to Civitavecchia.

Can somebody confirm that it's true?

Does it also mean there is no direct train service from Civitavecchia to FCO as well?

If that's true, then on the last day when we leave the ship for FCO for the 12:15pm flight, it will be very tight to take the train first to Roma Termini, then connect the Leonardo Express to FCO, not to mention the fare.

It is true that there is no direct connection.

There is no need to change at Termini, which adds both time and expense to the trip. As susietb said, take a regional train to Trastevere and change there for a regional train to the airport. The total fare is 11 Euro.

For a 12:15 flight you'd want to be at the airport at either 9:15 (if you are taking a flight directly to the US on a US carrier, or any flight to Israel) or 10:15 for all other flights. (The additional time is due to the increased security at terminal 5.)

A 7:36 train from Civitavecchia arrives at the airport at 9:19. If you are going to T5 you'll need to take the shuttle bus from in front of T3, so that will add some time as well. If you are on the cautious side, you might want to go for the train just before that, which leaves Civitavecchia at 7:02 and arrives at the airport at 8:49.

• 3 weeks later...
what are my options besides the train to transfer with luggage? Not a good scene with jet lag. Private pre paid from vendor in Canada $100 p.p. any other cheaper suggestions

You can take a taxi for a fixed fare of 120 Euro. You can share the cab (up to four people) and luggage is included in the fee.

http://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-roma-en-/pax-fco-taxi

• 1 month later...

I investigated this at the end of September 2012. From Rome to Civitavecchia there are at least 3 trains an hour, and one is a high-speed train with first class carriages. It takes about an hour. That costs Euro 10 one way. The four long block walk at the port is easy because the sidewalk is smooth enough for luggage with wheels. Each cruise line runs continuous free shuttle buses from the fortress near the port gate to the check-in building. I would allow half an hour from station to ship. Each cruise line uses its own SMALL building for check in. I strongly recommend that you not arrive too early, ie. before the advertised check in time. There will probably be no one at the desk before that announced hour. Also, there will probably be limited seating in a building with very few amenities.

Martinibob

• 4 years later...