Rockly Beach / Worth a visit?

Mountain Sky

Has anybody been there lately? How far is it from the dock by taxi. Any amenties? Worth going for half day?

25th anniversary cruise and we spent our honeymoon there. Lots of memories and unsure if it is as nice as I remember.

Any other suggestions for beaches or "down time" for family with two teens 17 and 15. We have many exursions on other islands.

Hi we took our family there last winter. We loved it. It's about 10-12 minutes from the dock if I remember right. We played golf in the morning at the Rockly Golf club down the road ( very inexpenive with all the rentals included) and then took a cab the short distance to the beach. There are a few shops and a fast food place across the street ( Chik fillet? something like that anyway and it was very good) also showers and bathrooms. There are chair rentals although we didn't use them so I dont' know the prices. Lots of shade trees and the beach was gorgeous. It was crowded a bit but we didn't care as the water was so amazing we spent our time in the ocean. The sand was pinkish and very pretty. We are going again this year in 3 weeks. I'm sure you will have a great time there. And again for anyone reading this the golf course was amazing. Rentals for a riding cart/9 holes of golf/ club rentals and the fee for a non paying passenger came to 70.00 and for golf in the caribbean that's a steal.

Hi we took our family there last winter. We loved it.

It's about 12 minutes from the dock if I remember right. ===> You remember right!

We played golf in the morning at the Rockly Golf Club down the road (very inexpensive with all the rentals included)

and then took a cab the short distance to the beach. ===> Cool arrangement!!

There are a few shops and a fast food place across the street (Chik fillet? something like that ===> Maybe not..:D

anyway and it was very good) ===> Chefette

also showers and bathrooms.

There are chair rentals although we didn't use them so I don't know the prices. ===> About $5 for the day, I'm pretty sure..

Lots of shade trees and the beach was gorgeous.

It was crowded a bit but we didn't care as the water was so amazing we spent our time in the ocean.

The sand was pinkish and very pretty.

We are going again this year in 3 weeks.

I'm sure you'll have a great time there.

And again, for anyone reading this the golf course was amazing.

Rentals for a riding cart/9 holes of golf/ club rentals and the fee for a non paying passenger came to 70.00

- and for golf in the Caribbean that's a steal.

Accra Beach/Rockley looks something like this..

Accra-34.jpg

and there's now a new boardwalk that starts at the Western end of the beach and goes West

-past Kentucky Fried Chicken- for about a mile or so

Boardwalk-82.jpg

- it's a pleasant stroll ...you get to see a bit more, and it ultimately leads to Hastings Beach in front Coconut Court Hotel.

and if you catch a real nice day there, like so...

Accra-013.jpg

..the scenery can be attractive! :)

Accra-42.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Hi we took our family there last winter. We loved it. It's about 10-12 minutes from the dock if I remember right. We played golf in the morning at the Rockly Golf club down the road ( very inexpenive with all the rentals included) and then took a cab the short distance to the beach. There are a few shops and a fast food place across the street

After reading your info, I reserved a tee time for my husband and just rode alone. They said that they no longer charge for a rider so we only paid $65 (US).

This was a great day as my husband was able to golf then we walked down to Rockley Beach.

After seeing APLMAC's pics, we were able to easily find the beach and felt like we had already been there! We had a nice day at the beach between downpours!! (I would rather have a downpour than snow :D).

Oh good for you MIcruiser99 !! You know there isn't much info on this golf course in the CC threads so I'm glad you benefited from our experience. We'll be there again in a little over a week now and I can't wait. This time our children and their spouses are coming along and we're all playing golf there again. It is an amazing value when you start pricing out golf courses in the caribbean. Wow we had no idea how expensive some of them get. And boy do I agree.......rain/ocean/flowers are better than the sub zero weather we've had here in northern Mn.....two days ago it was once again -30 below zero at 9:00AM.....I am SO ready for our trip.

Was going to Crane Beach for the day on Saturday May 2nd, but as a keen golfer now considering trying to book golf in the morning and spend afternoon on the beach, assume that you can can get drinks/lunch in the Accra Beach Hotel if required (ice cold beer/cocktails :))

Lee

Was going to Crane Beach for the day on Saturday May 2nd,

but as a keen golfer now considering trying to book golf in the morning

and spend afternoon on the beach ===> Good idea!

Assume that you can can get drinks/lunch in the Accra Beach Hotel if required (ice cold beer/cocktails :))

Accra/Rockley is the heart and soul of Barbados' South Coast beach activity.

Soooo..yes you can get food and drink at any number of places nearby!

If you want to have a hotel lunch(at hotel prices) I'm sure they won't kick you out.

The hotel has a pool with a swim-up-to-it Bar if I'm not mistaken

and I doubt they'd kick up a fuss if you went for a dip after having one of their lunches.

Tourism is our business and we want you to have a good time!

Your idea to do some golf and then beach it at Accra makes sense

bcoz when you're at the Crane, that's it

- there's not a lot else to do there, apart from lunch in the restaurant

and their bar.

Transport from the Rockley/Accra Beach Hotel area back to the ship is not a problem!

Even if every single taxi is gone from the stand that's been there since I was a kid

(unlikely!)

there's a bus-stop on the beach side of the road, that goes into Bridgetown

and buses and mini-vans constantly pass that area,trust me!

Hi Aplmac,

thanks for your posted info.

A few questions

Do you know approx cost of taxi from Cruise Terminal to Rockley GC

Do you know number of bus to get to Accra Beach from Bridgetown, is stop walkable from cruise terminal.

How far is the walk from Rockley GC to Accra Beach.

I have also seen posts for sport bars in Accra Beach area, Berts and Bubbas, any experiences from CC members on these bars/restaurants please.

I have booked tee time for 9.30am, so plan is golf, few beers, swim, lunch, walk, few more beers, swim, cocktail, maybe dinner prior to returning to Sea Princess (which departs at 11pm).

Notice that Bubbas shows English Premiership Footy, which will be good on a Saturday http://bubbassportsbar.net/ and Berts has a happy hour (and a half !) between 4.30 and 6pm http://www.funbarbados.com/Restaurants/bertsbar.CFM

so after taking all this into consideration, I have put Crane on hold until our next visit ! :):):)

A few questions

Do you know approx cost of taxi from Cruise Terminal to Rockley GC ===> Sorry can't help.(?US$20?)

Do you know number of bus to get to Accra Beach from Bridgetown,

===> Anything that passes, going in that direction.

is stop walkable from cruise terminal. ===> 1.5 miles is walkable?

How far is the walk from Rockley GC to Accra Beach. ===> Thru Blue Waters, prob. 1 km.

I have also seen posts for sport bars in Accra Beach area, Berts and Bubbas

I have booked tee time for 9.30am, so plan is golf, few beers, swim, lunch, walk, few more beers, swim, cocktail,

maybe dinner prior to returning to Sea Princess (which departs at 11 pm). ===You got time!

Notice that Bubbas shows English Premiership Footy, which will be good on a Saturday ===> can get busy!

and Berts has a happy hour and a half ! between 4.30 and 6pm ===> Good thing your ship sails at 11p.m.! :D

so after taking all this into consideration, I have put Crane on hold until our next visit ! :):):)

Sounds like you have a plan!

Blue Waters is a residential area off Golf Club Rd.

but you'd have to know where to turn to go thru B.Waters,

which will put out out at the bottom end,

right opposite the beach and Chefette fast-food place!

To LIMPIT ....will try to post a picture here ( first time doing this) so you can see the clubhouse at the Golf Course. We had beers/water there but others were eating lunch ....off to the right is where the grill area is. I don't remember exactly what they had to offer but others were eating burgers etc. also attaching a pix of the golf car and surrounding path area at the course. we had a great time there. The course is in a residential area so we had a few neighbors waving hello. The fairways were a little dry but not bad and the greens were just fine. I don't play but my daughter and I watched as my husband and son in law did. We didn't walk to the beach although it wasn't far but the main road leading to the beach is VERY busy and there didn't seem to be much of a shoulder where I would feel safe walking. Now there may be back roads to get to the beach that I'm unaware of and if so you could walk there more safely. We took a cab....wasn't far and didn't cost much at all. The beach was SO NICE....and sounds even better now with the boardwalk. The sand is pinkish and there's lots of trees for shade areas as well as great bathrooms and showers and enough places for food to keep you happy. It was a great day and we are about to repeat it in 9 days!!! We can't wait. Oh and bring golf balls with you if you can...the ones they have at the course are crazy expensive. The whole golf package is very inexpensive but the balls ......yikes.....so bring your own if possible.

P1010318.jpg.b2ebeb8d0119e11c1accac0f46bebadc.jpg

P1010309.jpg.30f83dc8c393310799a34b1e519307c8.jpg

In regards to the golf balls.....they ran between 5.00 and 7.00 American dollars each. My husband is a very good golfer....not a great golfer so he loses a ball or two at times and that price was too high in his opinion. The course is surrounded by beautiful flowering bushes etc and gorgeous trees. Very pretty.

Hi Aplmac,

thanks for your posted info.

A few questions

Do you know approx cost of taxi from Cruise Terminal to Rockley GC

How far is the walk from Rockley GC to Accra Beach.

We had offers of $30 then one offer of $25 US for a taxi ride to the golf course.

After golfing, we never did see a taxi so walked out of the golf course and down to the beach. Easy downhill walk, we walked down to the entrance, turned right, walked till we found a street going down, then when we got to the main street, turned right and saw signs for Champers, Chefettes, then finally across the street saw the beach.

APLMAC - Your photos are wonderful - we are staying at the Southern Palms, is accura beach + boardwalk in walking distance?

LIMPIT - we are on the same cruise.:) Double check the departure time, I think it's changed to 9PM.

Thanks for all the golf club info, I will certainly take my golf shoes and plenty of balls (especially at the prices illustrated to buy locally) , also I have checked and the time of sailing has changed from the previously published time of 11pm to 9pm, thanks

Lee

We had offers of $30

then one offer of $25 US for a taxi ride to the golf course. ===> That's more like it.

After golfing, we never did see a taxi ===> There are usually a few taxis hanging out at Rockley Golf Club

so walked out of the golf course and down to the beach. Easy downhill walk,

we walked down to the entrance, turned right, ===> along Golf Club Rd.,yes..

walked till we found a street going down, ===> Sounds like you took the Garden Gap turning, because..

..when we got to the main street, turned right and saw signs for Champers, Chefette

then finally across the street saw the beach.

You made it!

Yes, sidewalks are sorely lacking in some parts(read non-existent!)

but local drivers are accustomed to dodging pedestrians! :D

so don't worry too bad about that.

In fact, pedestrians are very much protected by law, so we try reeel hard not to hit y'all! :D

If you had missed Garden Gap, and taken the next 'down' street,

that woulda bin Blue Waters I mentioned earlier...thru an older Barbadian residential area...

and that choice of 'down' road woulda put you out on the main Coast Road

directly opposite Accra Beach/Rockley, with Chefette on your immediate left!

APLMAC - Your photos are wonderful ===> Glad U like them! :)

- we are staying at the Southern Palms, is Accra beach + boardwalk in walking distance?

Depends on how hot the day is, how fit you are

- and how much you like walking on narrow roads with sometimes-sidewalks sometimes-not! :D

Accra/Rockley is about a mile West of Southern Palms(which is in St.Lawrence Gap)

If you can make it out to the main South Coast Rd.(about 200 yds. inland from S.Palms)

just jump on a local transport --bus or minivan- heading into Bridgetown (ask!)

pay them Bds.$1.50 per person -75 UScents- and you'll be at Accra in 5 mins.

That'll save you a bothersome? walk, but then I don't know how much of a challenge you like.

yes you can walk it, and the earlier in the day, the cooler it is

but it's up to you.

Us Bajans don't walk a mile, no way! :D

You made it!

Yes, sidewalks are sorely lacking in some parts(read non-existent!)

but local drivers are accustomed to dodging pedestrians! :D

so don't worry too bad about that.

In fact, pedestrians are very much protected by law, so we try reeel hard not to hit y'all! :D Good to know!

If you had missed Garden Gap, and taken the next 'down' street,

that woulda bin Blue Waters I mentioned earlier...thru an older Barbadian residential area... Yeah, with all the cars going so close to us, we took the first road down!

and that choice of 'down' road woulda put you out on the main Coast Road

directly opposite Accra Beach/Rockley, with Chefette on your immediate left!

We really loved your island. It is high on my list of places that I would like to visit again!

I believe you stated all buses go to Rockley Beach.

I will be arriving via cruise ship. Once I leave the cruise terminal ,do I make a right or left to catch the bus to Rockley Beach. How much is the bus? Is it exact change or do you buy a ticket/token from a terminal?

Archived