Dutch Cheese

westerfiek

I will be in Aruba on the AOS in Jan 09. Our departure port is San Juan.

I would like to bring back some dutch cheese. If I buy the cheese in Aruba, Curacao or St. Maartin will I be able to carry it on board our flight from San Juan to the US? Should I pack it in our checked baggage? I am wondering what the custom rules are regarding cheese brought back to the US.

You should not have a problem bringing dutch cheese back. We usually buy it in St. Maarten, but it is available on all three islands. We take it in our carryon, because there is always a chance of your checked luggage getting lost. If it takes too long getting it back the cheese might be quite fragrant. Enjoy!

I think there was a previous post regarding this. If I remember correctly, the U.S. customs department makes a distinction between hard and soft cheeses. If it's in a wheel (like gouda), you shouldn't have a problem. I think you might have some difficulty bringing back softer cheeses though (like brie).

You should not have a problem bringing dutch cheese back. We usually buy it in St. Maarten, but it is available on all three islands. We take it in our carryon, because there is always a chance of your checked luggage getting lost. If it takes too long getting it back the cheese might be quite fragrant. Enjoy!

Glad to hear about gouda ok for carry-on. When we have gone to Aruba, we have always put it in checked because of the icepack in the cooler. How do you keep it cold in the carry-on? Interested to know b/c we thot the airport prices were pretty decent

Archived