Advise on dressing a 12 year old boy- formal nights?

jacksmom09

Hi! I have a soon to be 12 yo ds that I am really having a hard time dressing for our formal nights! He is 5' 4" and 140 lbs. He is very broad shouldered and has a large neck! (no i am not kidding) He is large boned and just big, not fat (he plays football and baseball and is muscular)! I have tried a 20 Husky jacket on him and it is to tight through the shoulders (ok every where else)! A mans jacket is to long in the sleeves and to long in the body! Also a 20 Husky dress shirt fits okay except it is way to small to button around his neck and a little tight through the shoulders! A mans 15 1/2 fits his neck (just barely) but is way to long in the body and the sleeves are also to long! I really don't know what to try next? Anyone else have these problems?? I certainly want to dress him appropriately and would love some help!:confused: TIA!

Hi! I have a soon to be 12 yo ds that I am really having a hard time dressing for our formal nights! He is 5' 4" and 140 lbs. He is very broad shouldered and has a large neck! (no i am not kidding) He is large boned and just big, not fat (he plays football and baseball and is muscular)! I have tried a 20 Husky jacket on him and it is to tight through the shoulders (ok every where else)! A mans jacket is to long in the sleeves and to long in the body! Also a 20 Husky dress shirt fits okay except it is way to small to button around his neck and a little tight through the shoulders! A mans 15 1/2 fits his neck (just barely) but is way to long in the body and the sleeves are also to long! I really don't know what to try next? Anyone else have these problems?? I certainly want to dress him appropriately and would love some help!:confused: TIA!

I'm here to help!:D

First of all click on this thread/link here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=409661

It discusses buying suits, and how to fit.

For your concerns pay close attention to the information on "drop".

Secondly, the most important thing when fitting men's jackets and shirts is to fit the shoulders/chest FIRST.

That is the most difficult and complicated, so it must fit.

Then sleeves and waist are easier to tailor.

Thirdly, you need to look for (and pay attention to) Athletic Cuts.

If you just do searches for "Athletic Cut" jackets and shirts, they will already be cut to fit closer to his dimensions.

Depending on your budget, and how much you want to spend - there are a lot of options. But you probably need to start looking at Men's Short.

For jackets and shirts.

Possibly a 32 short, or even 34 short.

(Measure his chest with his arms hanging down in relaxed position at his side. Then add two inches to get an approximate jacket size).

Let me know if that helps, or gets you going in the right direction.

I'll check back when I can, if you need more help, or have further questions.

I'm here to help!:D

First of all click on this thread/link here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=409661

It discusses buying suits, and how to fit.

For your concerns pay close attention to the information on "drop".

Secondly, the most important thing when fitting men's jackets and shirts is to fit the shoulders/chest FIRST.

That is the most difficult and complicated, so it must fit.

Then sleeves and waist are easier to tailor.

Thirdly, you need to look for (and pay attention to) Athletic Cuts.

If you just do searches for "Athletic Cut" jackets and shirts, they will already be cut to fit closer to his dimensions.

Depending on your budget, and how much you want to spend - there are a lot of options. But you probably need to start looking at Men's Short.

For jackets and shirts.

Possibly a 32 short, or even 34 short.

(Measure his chest with his arms hanging down in relaxed position at his side. Then add two inches to get an approximate jacket size).

Let me know if that helps, or gets you going in the right direction.

I'll check back when I can, if you need more help, or have further questions.

WoW! Thanks! I never thought of a mans short (I guess cause hubbie isn't short):D! I now have a new plan!;) Since you are so knowledgable, could you also give me some ideas for other nights? We are going to the specialty restaurants x 2 and I really want him to look nice each night! Thanks so much for all your help! I really appreciate it!

WoW! Thanks! I never thought of a mans short (I guess cause hubbie isn't short):D! I now have a new plan!;) Since you are so knowledgable, could you also give me some ideas for other nights? We are going to the specialty restaurants x 2 and I really want him to look nice each night! Thanks so much for all your help! I really appreciate it!

You are so very welcome!

It's always nice, when I know that my knowledge and experience can help someone.

In that way, click on this thread/link here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=773735

There are a lot of ideas and pictures that I put together - on ways to mix and match suit components for young men.

From dressy to really funky/casual.

Look through the various ideas and pictures that I've presented there, and see if that gives you any ideas or inspirations for the other evenings.

You might even have him take a look, and see if some seem "cool" to him.

Start there, and see if that helps.

I'll check back again, and see if you need further ideas - and if we're doing good so far in the "new idea" department.

Have fun with it!

(From your signature, it seems like you're going on an Easter cruise - so much more fun time to get dressy and take lots of great pictures of the family!)

:cool:

don't feel obligated to drop a pile of cash on outfitting him! if you can afford it and he really likes to dress up, that's great, but if you'd rather save some $$, or if he's fighting you about it, khakis and golf shirt will be fine- everyone is always talking about how formal isn't as formal these days, and no one will bat an eye. we bought our son a suit for our cruise last year - he wanted one- and he looked like a million bucks, but i wouldn't do it again. the formals were a pain to pack and now it hangs there collecting dust.

I disagree with the suggestion for khakis and golf shirt. Perfectly appropriate for the casual nights, but not for the formal nights. It doesn't matter to me if everyone else chooses to dress down; I think it goes against the spirit of the evening. And it is a great teaching moment for the 12 year old. I applaud the OP for wanting to make the most of the night.

Jack's Mom, I have a 12 year old, he is about 5'2", 125lbs, so just a bit smaller than your boy.

He is just small enough that he can fit into a 20 jacket, so he has 20 blazer that he actually wore with his kahkis and polo's for smart casual. However for formal he prefers a tuxedo.

I bought him one for this cruise because we cruise often, and it made more sense than renting, but renting is certainly an option. We bought the jacket big, and then I had the sleeves turned under to take them in, and the seam in the back taken in. It was still big in the shoulders, but on a young man it looked fine.

However if you rent, you don't have to worry about growing room, and the Tuxedo shop will alter their rental jacket to fit him perfectly. So that might be a better option. If you want to consider renting you can either do it through your cruise line, or you can do it locally. Call around to several different shops and see if they are willing to work with you for a longer term rental than just a few days. Some might only charger you one rental, others might charge you 1 1/2. All shops are different so find one that will work with you. Here's a picture of my son on formal night from our last cruise. You can see the tux is a bit big, but everyone seemed to notice the tux and not that it was a bit big.

Another option if you don't want to spend a fortune is to check out thrift stores like the Salvation Army and Goodwill. They often have suits that look like new. You could then spend your money on any necessary alterations. Alterations on a suit might run between $30-50 if you go to an independant tailor and how much work he/she has to do.

Also, Kurt, I am not sure if I've posted any pictures of my young man in is tuxedo, but I wanted to thank you again for all the help you gave me in finding it. This is the vest that I bought online. It looks a bit flashy in the daylight and in flash pictures, but looked more subdued in the eveing light. The other nights he wore a black tie and cummerbund.

finalformalnight3.jpg

We weren't cruising when my sons were small but they each had a dress jacket for other occasions and like your son a couple of them were broad shouldered. The best jackets I found on our shopping trips to the states were made by Van Heusen at JC Penneys....they were inexpensive and the "husky"fit was perfect. around 12- 13 years they probably wore a Husky size 20. Anyways he will probably be able to wear it for graduation! Good luck.:p

This is not directed at you personally canuckgal, but you bring up a really, really good point...

don't feel obligated to drop a pile of cash on outfitting him! if you can afford it and he really likes to dress up, that's great, but if you'd rather save some $$, or if he's fighting you about it, khakis and golf shirt will be fine- everyone is always talking about how formal isn't as formal these days, and no one will bat an eye. we bought our son a suit for our cruise last year - he wanted one- and he looked like a million bucks, but i wouldn't do it again. the formals were a pain to pack and now it hangs there collecting dust.

And that is one of the things that I think is really unfortunate.

Suits don't have to be just for "formal" nights, Christmas and Easter.

That's one of the points for all the options and ideas on this thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=773735

It's a shame to spend any amount of money, then not get use out of it.

Especially if you have a kid who actually wants to wear the suit!

Let your kid have fun with it! Mix and match. Wear the jacket to school with jeans and a t-shirt if he wants.

Wear it with a rugby shirt to Saturday dinner.

Whatever the time or occasion, encourage those kids to be creative and let them wear their suit, jacket alone, pants alone -whenever they feel like it.

If they know that they can, and that they can mix and match in any way to make it their own, and can wear it just because they feel like it...

You'll at least get more use of it, instead of just gathering dust in a closet...

Just ideas and possibly new ways of thinking to any people reading now or in the future.

the formals were a pain to pack

And regarding the packing, just another idea (for anyone reading) to make suit/jacket/formal packing much easier, and take up a lot less space...

2114324320079337728RYvvZs_th.jpg

Click on the thumbnail picture above to get a full sized printable version.

;)

Also, Kurt, I am not sure if I've posted any pictures of my young man in is tuxedo, but I wanted to thank you again for all the help you gave me in finding it. This is the vest that I bought online. It looks a bit flashy in the daylight and in flash pictures, but looked more subdued in the eveing light. The other nights he wore a black tie and cummerbund.

Awesome Suzanne! Thanks for following up.

The best part of it - is that he looks good and confident...

I bet he had lots of compliments that night!

Jack's Mom, I have a 12 year old, he is about 5'2", 125lbs, so just a bit smaller than your boy.

He is just small enough that he can fit into a 20 jacket, so he has 20 blazer that he actually wore with his kahkis and polo's for smart casual. However for formal he prefers a tuxedo.

I bought him one for this cruise because we cruise often, and it made more sense than renting, but renting is certainly an option. We bought the jacket big, and then I had the sleeves turned under to take them in, and the seam in the back taken in. It was still big in the shoulders, but on a young man it looked fine.

However if you rent, you don't have to worry about growing room, and the Tuxedo shop will alter their rental jacket to fit him perfectly. So that might be a better option. If you want to consider renting you can either do it through your cruise line, or you can do it locally. Call around to several different shops and see if they are willing to work with you for a longer term rental than just a few days. Some might only charger you one rental, others might charge you 1 1/2. All shops are different so find one that will work with you. Here's a picture of my son on formal night from our last cruise. You can see the tux is a bit big, but everyone seemed to notice the tux and not that it was a bit big.

Another option if you don't want to spend a fortune is to check out thrift stores like the Salvation Army and Goodwill. They often have suits that look like new. You could then spend your money on any necessary alterations. Alterations on a suit might run between $30-50 if you go to an independant tailor and how much work he/she has to do.

finalformalnight3.jpg

He really looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Awesome Suzanne! Thanks for following up.

The best part of it - is that he looks good and confident...

I bet he had lots of compliments that night!

For him to be dressed like many of the grown men on the cruise really made him feel grown-up. He just felt like he belonged and didn't feel out of place. On this cruise he, his sister and one other 12 year old boy were the only school age children, so it made him feel really good to be dressed so grown-up.

I disagree with the suggestion for khakis and golf shirt. Perfectly appropriate for the casual nights, but not for the formal nights. It doesn't matter to me if everyone else chooses to dress down; I think it goes against the spirit of the evening. And it is a great teaching moment for the 12 year old. I applaud the OP for wanting to make the most of the night.

I agree completely. If you start out teaching your son about how certain events require different levels of dress, he'll understand this as he gets older (and by college will be wowing the ladies! :D)

What does your son have to say about it?

Personally, I don't think your son must wear a jacket; I've seen some perfectly wonderfully-dressed young men on cruises (mine included) wearing a simple white dress shirt and tie. Many men remove their jackets for dinner, anyway. Please don't feel obligated to buy him a jacket. He will look sharp in a shirt (probably size 16 neck, which he could tuck in and either roll up the long sleeves, or button them) and tie.

He'll look great, don't stress about it. Have a fun cruise. :)

Archived