Photos of BEE swarm on Carnival Fantasy

A swarm of honeybees took over the Lido deck on one of our recent cruises:

b3.jpg

I posted the entire story on the Carnival board. To see it all:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=17727298&posted=1#post17727298

Photos were taken with an Olympus Evolt E510.

A lot of passengers thought I was NUTS while I was taking the shots...:eek:

Very cool photo. I would ask "what kind of idiot would be out taking pictures of that?" if I weren't one of those idiots! Hats off to you!

Sort of reminds one of the taxi drivers and tour operators in Acapulco right after the ship docks....

Dave

Very cool photo. I would ask "what kind of idiot would be out taking pictures of that?" if I weren't one of those idiots! Hats off to you!

Dave

Some of my actions drive my wife crazy. I like to photograph or video tape incoming severe storms, too. Usually outside..............she's heading for the basement and I'm headed for the nearest camera! She wasn't on deck with me when this all took place. (Thank goodness!)

having worked with honeybees in the past, there wasn't any "fear factor" for me. I just saw it as a great opportunity to get some unique shots. What developed over the following several hours with 'control measures' was just plain great entertainment. hearing everyone's "expert" opinion about the situation would have made a good Funniest Home Video!

I will say that I didn't have to buy any of my own drinks while this was going on..........:D:D:D

I looked at your photos and read your story on the Carnival thread - very disturbing yet very cool at the same time. :eek:

Congrats on getting such cool photos to document this unexpected vacation memory.

thanks. All cruises are fun................This one was just a little more exciting!!

What developed over the following several hours with 'control measures' was just plain great entertainment. hearing everyone's "expert" opinion about the situation would have made a good Funniest Home Video!

I'm sure you would have been a great help to them had you been able to say "bee smoker" in Greek, Ukranian or Croatian!:D

Dave

Love it cruisetobeaches! I too would have been taking pictures and having a great time with this.

We actually have almost the same situation - our neighbor took one of the lights off the side of his house, didn't bother to cover up the hole. Last year the bees found it and figured it was a great place to build their new home. So now they have a beehive in the wall of their house.

In summer, when the sun hits the wall, a huge bunch of them are outside the hole trying to create some cooling ventilation.

It's fun to watch and so far we haven't been bothered or stung by any of the bees, even when there are a lot of them flying around.

Archived