Costa Maya with kids

lindslea

We are not booking a ship's tour at this port and I will have young children with me. We're looking for a nice, safe beach or other activity with the kids. We would also like to avoid areas where a lot of people are partying. Any suggestions?

A while back a mom posted her son's email address. He is an American who is living in Majuhual. I emailed him for some ideas of what to do with my two young children. He said that the beach across the street from the hotel is ideal. He said it is very sheltered and the water is calm and it has lots of nice white sand. We are going to try that. Even if our little girls only play in the sand for a while, they will have a great time. We will take a cab from the port area into town. I guess there is only one hotel because he said you can't miss the beach.

Are you looking for some place like this:

27mahahual4.jpg

My kids really enjoyed playing in the sand and the warm water:

28kidsplay1.jpg

You can see the photos in a larger size Here

That looks like a nice beach for the kids. Is it across from the hotel, or where is it in relation to the hotel?

We were in Costa Maya a couple of months ago and went with our kids to the monkey farm. We all had a blast. We took a taxi from Majahual. The taxi driver knew onlya little English, but we had a great time communicating with him and learning about his family and life. At the monkey farm, we actually got to play and hold a monkey. It was a real highlight for the kids.

this is my first reply to a message - leaving next week on Grandeur to Western Caribbean. My daughter would love going to the Monkey Farm. HOw much for taxi, how long there, any $ to visit, taxi stay while you visit farm? Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

RSJC - The salt water pool is located at the pier - you do not need to go anywhere and there is some beach area there also. The nice beach that is in the pictures above is in Mahahual and is a short taxi ride away.

diane - There is a beach that runs the entire length of the town of Mahahual. I'm not quite sure where the hotel was but you can just find a spot you like and settle in. There are little bars and restaurants all along the way.

I hope this helps!

That looks like a nice beach for the kids. Is it across from the hotel, or where is it in relation to the hotel?

It was pretty much across the street from Hotel Mahahual, but like others said, the beach runs just about the whole length of town.

12hotelmahahual.jpg

the port facilities that have the saltwater pool are at the end of the dock where the ships tie up. In fact, you have to walk right passed it to get out to where the taxis are.

This is what it looks like from the ship:

01portfacilities.jpg

The "beach" there doesn't extend into the water. The shoreline is all rocky so you would want something on your feet if you intend to go snorkeling there.

We were in Costa Maya about two years ago. We did not go into the town since I was not feeling well that day. I can't wait to go to the beach there this time. It looks like it should be easy to find a nice spot to relax and hang out. My girls will have a blast playing in the sand and swimmng. I have heard that you need those water shoes as there can be some sea urchins. Has anybody else heard that?

Diane

I have heard that you need those water shoes as there can be some sea urchins. Has anybody else heard that?

It is unlikely that you will find urchins in the sand. You will find them on and around rocky structure because they feed on what can grow on the rocks. Their food source doesn't grow in the sand. If you are snorkeling from a rocky shore, then you would want to wear something on your feet because of the rocks anyway, so you would have some protection from urchin spines.

Sluther,

To get to the monkey farm, just go into the village. There will be taxi stands there. You can tell them were you want to go and for $30.00 a taxi will take you there. The taxi driver will stay with you the whole time. The farm is free, but they do ask for a donation. You can stay as long as you want, but the mosquitos are quite bad, so wear long pants. If you want I will try to post a picture of the Pebbles, the monkey that we played with. It was well worth the money.

We were thinking about renting a golf cart. Is it too to go to the Monkey Farm on a golf cart? Also thinking about going to Solymar Mahahual which should be close to the farm. My contact says it's about 5 km from the pier. (3miles) Is this doable on a cart?

Monikasch, was the $30 taxi ride to the monkey farm for just one way or was it the total price for a round trip taxi ride? Did the cab driver charge you per person or was this a flat fee? Also, how long was the ride over to the monkey farm? Was it a clean place with restrooms and everything? I have 2 kids ages 6 and 8 that would love to play with a monkey. It's not an excursion you see very often.:)

Archived