Steamers, yes or no?

phinn

I know this issue has been addressed before, but I can't find it, sooooooo I've been busy getting things together to leave in a few days and want to know if anyone has brought just a plain clothes steamer on board? Under FAQ it just prohibits irons, but when I printed out my docs, it says no irons or steamers.... I need pressed clothes since we like to wear cotton folks and I know I don't have enough time on a 2 night cruise to send anything out to be pressed, so can you tell me if you have brought one on board?

I know this issue has been addressed before, but I can't find it, sooooooo I've been busy getting things together to leave in a few days and want to know if anyone has brought just a plain clothes steamer on board? Under FAQ it just prohibits irons, but when I printed out my docs, it says no irons or steamers.... I need pressed clothes since we like to wear cotton folks and I know I don't have enough time on a 2 night cruise to send anything out to be pressed, so can you tell me if you have brought one on board?

Hi Phinn,

Streamers are not allowed, however, you can have Royal just press your clothes for half of the cleaning cost. Hope this helps; this is what I am planning on doing if they arrive with too many wrinkles. Good Luck!

Ricky

Sorry, I missed the line that mentioned it was only a 2 night cruise. Not sure what you are going to do. I must admit, I have brought on a small travel iron on every single cruise I have taken and it has always been delivered to the room with no problems. I have never had to use it though. Sorry! If you chose to do this just be very careful :-)

Ricky

Go to a store like a WalMart and in the section where they have all the little travel items, get one of the empty spray bottles.

You can adjust the tip for a very fine spray of water. Spritz your clothes very lightly, or heavier if the material will allow it and hang them in the shower on the cord.

That is what I do with all of mine when I cruise now and they come out better than the steamer.

Of course you can't do this with a garment that water spots. ;)

Go to a store like a WalMart and in the section where they have all the little travel items, get one of the empty spray bottles.

You can adjust the tip for a very fine spray of water. Spritz your clothes very lightly, or heavier if the material will allow it and hang them in the shower on the cord.

That is what I do with all of mine when I cruise now and they come out better than the steamer.

Of course you can't do this with a garment that water spots. ;)

That is a great idea, I think I will give it a shot next week. Thank You!

Listen....You are on vacation!!! I send anything needing pressing out in the laundry bag. It is very reasonably priced and comes back the next day looking like new clothes!!!

Give it a try....

Did you miss the part about it being a 2-night cruise? :rolleyes:

OK, I take my steamer with me. It's made of plastic and doesn't get hot to the touch. Very safe, and uses little electricity.

Since you are taking mostly cotton clothes, I agree with Alexis. However, add a little bit of liquid fabric softener to help relax the fabric more. You might be able to spray them good and hang them in the closet. Sometimes hanging does the trick.

I'm with you, by the way. I like my clothes in good shape when I wear them, and it makes no difference where the heck I am. :D But then, I also LIKE to iron!! :D

How would anyone know if you have a steamer? I, too have a small plastic steamer. (Wouldn't really spritz Downy on a formal dress). If RCL "finds" it, will they take? Will they give it back? (It's not like I'm smuggling alcohol, just want to press a few things).

How would anyone know if you have a steamer? I, too have a small plastic steamer. (Wouldn't really spritz Downy on a formal dress). If RCL "finds" it, will they take? Will they give it back? (It's not like I'm smuggling alcohol, just want to press a few things).

Karyn: I recommended using the Downey and water mixture on COTTON clothes. Formals are a whole different animal, I agree.

They x-ray luggage just like at the airport. If they see the shape of it in the bag, they may call you down to the luggage hold and ask to see it. They can confiscate it until the end of the cruise.

If this ever happens to me, I plan on asking for the Safety Officer to inspect it, turn it on, etc. If they approve it, I'll ask for a sticker on it for future cruises. Otherwise, I'll just pick it up at the end.

Prior to our 1st cruise 2 years ago, I read on the boards that dry cleaner bags will keep your clothes wrinkle free. Let me tell you, I was sceptical, but this trick really worked. Our clothes were in the luggage for a total of 4 days pre-cruise, and tossed around by the airline, handled by the valet at our pre-cruise hotel and the cruise porters, etc... and NOTHING was wrinkled when we unpacked. The thin plastic material allows for the clothes to shift and adjust and not get stuck to the other items of clothing. We used the same trick in 2008 for our non-cruise trip and they worked then, too. I'm saving all of our bags in one of the suitcases and will be using them for our next cruise.

Is this a one night, two day cruise???

Why would RCI schedule such a short cruise like this? Just curious.....

Navigator of the Seas is going to dry-dock, and there was an extra 2 day period, so they scheduled a short cruise to Coco Cay on Jan 22.....we'll be aboard too! :)

It's more expensive to send the ship out to sea without passengers...so a short cruise was offered. Some people are doing back to back with the prior sailing to extend it a bit.

We purchased a "Steam Buddy" before our last cruise. It's made of plastic. It has the shape of a blow dryer on the x-ray. We put it next to the straightening iron in the suitcase. No problems. Worked great. We let it cool down before leaving the room. No worries!

PS -- Why can you "legally" bring a hair straightening iron on board and not a regular iron or steamer? There is no consistenancy!:rolleyes:

We like to pack our clothes in a garment bag, we have a large rolling one the size or a typical suitcase. Everything is packed into a plastic dry cleaner bag.

If an item is cotton or line, I place a dry cleaner bag over the hanger, hang the item and place a second bag over the top. I was wearing a pair of linen capris one day and a woman in the hallway said "I know who smuggled an iron!" Wrong!, I didn't need to.

I use a wrinkle spray as well, but I don't care for the scent of the Downey brand, I use one by Faultless. It's aerosol and easier to pack, no worries of leaking bottles.

Archived