Sao Paulo safety?

smj

Has anyone been to Sao Paulo? I am wondering how safe it is. We are travel savy and feel very safe in places like New York and most cities in Europe. I know no matter how hard we try to blend in we won't. It will be obvious we are tourist in Sao Paulo.
Thanks,
Steve

I have been to Sao Paulo twice. I personally feel safer there than in Rio. That being said, I also dislike Rio. A good percentage of South America is more dangerous than other places in the world. If you are travel saavy, you should have little or no problems. Use car service or taxi's arranged by the hotels, watch for the "mustard scam" or similar, watch the groups of kids, (they are the worst), don't take your passport from your hotel-carry a copy, no jewelry, very little cash, credit card in your shoe, stay away from demonstrations, don't wear tennis shoes, dress in Dockers instead of jeans, use the cheap camera, no shoulder bags, all the normal travel warnings.

I go to South America (primarily Chile and Peru) at least 4 times per year on business. Certain places are much more dangerous than NY (I am in NY every month) and Europe; the Lima airport (outside the airport) being one. You are in countries where the rich and poor are DEFINITELY delineated. And the poor are truly poor. Hence, the gangs, gypsies, and common thieves. Just watch it-much more than in NY and most parts of Europe. Be aware of your surroundings is the best advice.

Mustard or similar scam

Usually involves a group of 9-15 year olds. Someone either "squirts" or "spills" mustard, coffee, hot chocolate, etc. on you or your traveling companions. WALK AWAY THEN and THERE!!!!! Push your way, if you must, out of there IMMEDIATELY. The clothes will clean or you can throw them away.

This is what happens if you don't get out of there immediately

Everyone gets all flustered-kids and you. "Excuse me, oh, I'm so sorry, here, let me help you clean it up". At that point, while someone is squishing the "stuff" into your clothes trying to assist you in cleaning, someone else is picking your pocket, your wallet, cutting the strap on your camera, etc., etc, etc.

The kids are sharp and usually VERY poor. But they know a mark when they see one. I grabbed a lady and her friend (about 70+) away from this situation in Lima last year. I thought she was going to call the cops on ME!!! I was really scared, both from her yelling and the gang of kids. But I just knew I had to hang on to her-all I could see was MY Mom. The lady really believed the kids were trying to help. After I explained, she looked rather sheepish.

Just be aware and keep away from the groups of kids. I travel alone on my business trips, have to go into a lot of unsavory areas (my company office is in the South Bronx), and really have to keep my wits about me. So far (30 years), so good. Got robbed ONCE, inside a US Post Office, on Canal Street, in NYC.

Gina

Evidently, Brazil is finally realizing they have a problem with crime against tourists.

Below is an article from Rueters this morning.

"Crime Wave Hits Brazil Visitors
Brazilian authorities sought ways to make Rio de Janiero tourist spots safer on Tuesday amid sharp criticism of police after 24 muggings over a holiday weekend. Visitors from Germany, Italy and Argentina were among the victims in the four-day spree. A 61-year-old Japanese woman remained hospitalized after being stabbed on Friday while trying to flee from robbers. "Naturally, these numbers are not normal and something has got to change," said a spokeswoman for the state security secretariat. Security officials were meeting on Tuesday to discuss ways to improve policing at tourist areas. "Whatever new measures the authorities decide to take now, they should have been taken long time ago," said Alfredo Lopes de Souza, president of the Rio de Janeiro Hotel Industry Association." (Reuters)"

Wow Gina.. that is a good one! I have seen alot of scams working in tourist areas esp. in Barcelona- the map scan is great. Where a gypsy lady will walk up to you open a big map over your purse while another has their hands in it.
It is amazing that when people/ ladies go on cruises they drag their biggest purses to go ashore..and you men with the bulky wallets in your back pockets.. BIG NO!

Claudia,

My father was a potential victim of the "mustard scam" in downtown LA about 10 years ago. Scammers squirted mustard on him and then the accomplice offered to clean it off him. My father, hip to the scam, screamed out in his loudest voice, "Well, I LIKE the f#$*+ mustard on
me, now get lost you piece of $#@&!" The scammers took off and ran.

GreatAM,

As a native New Yorker, I'm sad that you think my beautiful city is not terribly safe. Even during our most horrible crime years, in the late 70's - 80's, we never made it to the top 10 worst crime cities. Please, when you talk about US crime rates, talk about the cities on the top 10 list - Miami, Detroit, DC, Baltimore, etc.

As for Rio, it was dangerous when we were there 14 years ago and Iknow it's not any better now. We were ripped off by waiters and cab drivers as well as mugged in the street by a gang of kids (fortunately not hurt). We're quite travel saavy and take all precautions.
I agree with you, Rio ain't my kind of town. We'll be there for the last day of our cruise, and though we usually don't take group tours, we'll do so in Rio.

[quote name='Jane110']GreatAM,

As a native New Yorker, I'm sad that you think my beautiful city is not terribly safe. Even during our most horrible crime years, in the late 70's - 80's, we never made it to the top 10 worst crime cities. Please, when you talk about US crime rates, talk about the cities on the top 10 list - Miami, Detroit, DC, Baltimore, etc.

QUOTE]

Jane110,

Please reread my post. The South Bronx (Hunts Point) is not particularly safe, although in the last 10 years, it has become safer. I did not say that NY was particulary unsafe. In fact, I said it was much more dangerous is parts of South America, than in Europe OR NY.

I own a logisitics managment company that specializes in ethnic and specialty (read high dollar) refrigerated foods. Our main traffic lane is New York City to the West Coast. We handle a lot of fish (to Fulton St. Market) and prime meat (to and from 125th St., W. 14th St., and the Brooklyn Meat market). Most of our deliveries and pickups are 12:00AM-7:00AM. I am sure you will agree that a woman alone in these areas, if not extremely alert, is an easy mark. But it is the only time I can see most of the buyer's who use our services.

I thought I made the point that the ONLY time in 30 YEARS I have had ANY trouble in New York was INSIDE the US Post Office on Canal Street. This incident occured about 2:30PM. I have always felt New York was safer than certain other cities and I don't believe I conveyed any other message.

Archived