Passport, did Carnival catch on ...

helicopter

I just received an email from my PVP with some changes I had made to my cruise. I noticed that next to the informaton there is a box that has things to know before you go, so I clicked on documentation. Sure enough it said (in so many words) that closed loop cruises were good with B.C. and I.D., but beginning June 1, 09 any cruises beginning and ending at different ports would require passports. This issue had been questioned earlier on the board (regarding closed loop cruises, and passports), do you think Carnival is now saying 'Must be OK'.:rolleyes:

Yep, you don't need a passport for the RT WHTI cruises....Carnival's FAQ page is still confusing as it starts out with "Soon the government will require passports of all cruisers"...but 'soon' is not anticipated any longer. But Carnival updated the passport rules page about 6 months ago.

Does it really matter what the rules are. If you are leaving the country "Get A Passport!" I'm sorry I always hear people "I don't want to get one, $90 is expensive" yet I watch people pay nearly twice that to upgrade their cabin to a higher deck or category. If you don't have a passport, you can not use carnival's vacation guarantee (never used it my self though). If you miss the ship, you can't get back to US and you can't meet the ship in the next port. If there is a medical emergency you may not get the immediate assistance you need because of you being in a foreign country with out a passport.

Does it really matter what the rules are. If you are leaving the country "Get A Passport!" I'm sorry I always hear people "I don't want to get one, $90 is expensive" yet I watch people pay nearly twice that to upgrade their cabin to a higher deck or category. If you don't have a passport, you can not use carnival's vacation guarantee (never used it my self though). If you miss the ship, you can't get back to US and you can't meet the ship in the next port. If there is a medical emergency you may not get the immediate assistance you need because of you being in a foreign country with out a passport.

you said it all. some people just want to see how long they can beat the system and do things their way.

i begged my daughter to get passports for the kids. they are age 4 & 7 and have been on 4 cruises. we just took them less than 2 months ago and i told her i sure hope nothing happen as we could not fly back. (parents not on this trip, just us grandparents) she replied "oh not to worrry , they will know you are part of a cruise and will allow it" hello, rules are not made to be bent and broken on her behalf. as it stands they are cruising in july and all of us again in december so they are finally getting one, thinking they need it for july.

what is the big deal.... if you can run with the big boys, buy the equipement.

you said it all. some people just want to see how long they can beat the system and do things their way.

i begged my daughter to get passports for the kids. they are age 4 & 7 and have been on 4 cruises. we just took them less than 2 months ago and i told her i sure hope nothing happen as we could not fly back. (parents not on this trip, just us grandparents) she replied "oh not to worrry , they will know you are part of a cruise and will allow it" hello, rules are not made to be bent and broken on her behalf. as it stands they are cruising in july and all of us again in december so they are finally getting one, thinking they need it for july.

what is the big deal.... if you can run with the big boys, buy the equipement.

Why is a select few posters getting there panty's in a bundle about getting passports.If there not required until June 1st, 2009 why get one.I have talked to several US Embassy's around the Carribean and was informed if there was an Emergency you could get a passport that very day.

I don't know if any person should not have a passport. For adults they're good for 10 years so there's not a good excuse NOT to have one. I like mine for proving my identity and citizenship. It's one document instead of two. If you lose it, it's easier to replace than both drivers license and birth cert. It makes it less of a hassle if you DO need to travel home. (even if you CAN get a passport in one day, if there is a reason you need to go home, I bet you're under enough stress and the last thing you want to do is fight with the embassy to get you a rush passport. If you already have one and you have your passport card you can get a copy that's good enough to get back into the states.)

I got mine for our first cruise even though it wasn't required. It's just a safety feature!! If it helps me stress less before a cruise then I'll do it.

The U.S. government leaves many citizens stranded in the Caribbean, especially if they are in need of immediate medical assistance, every year:mad:. Come on now it's the Department of States job to provide U.S. citizens assistance with these situations. It may not be as convenient as having a passport but you will get back to the U.S.. As far as meeting the ship in the next port it depends what port you are at and where you are trying to get too (just don't miss the ship at embarkation). Many Caribbean countries do not require passports to travel between them. Air travel may not even be necessary as water service maybe the best option.

Let's not assume that a family can afford to spend several hundred dollars on passports. The exception to passports for closed loop cruises was allowed by the U.S. because of pressure from Caribbean countries that feared they would lose a certain portion of U.S. tourism dollars that is a large (if not most) of their local economies.

Let's not be fear mongers and let adults make decisions that are right for them.

I don't know if any person should not have a passport. For adults they're good for 10 years so there's not a good excuse NOT to have one. I like mine for proving my identity and citizenship. It's one document instead of two. If you lose it, it's easier to replace than both drivers license and birth cert. It makes it less of a hassle if you DO need to travel home. (even if you CAN get a passport in one day, if there is a reason you need to go home, I bet you're under enough stress and the last thing you want to do is fight with the embassy to get you a rush passport. If you already have one and you have your passport card you can get a copy that's good enough to get back into the states.)

I got mine for our first cruise even though it wasn't required. It's just a safety feature!! If it helps me stress less before a cruise then I'll do it.

Just to be the devils advocate here. An available flight and your emergency passport will probably happen at the same time at most of these small Caribbean islands.

I second this. Get a passport. If not because of the reasons stated below, then to help secure our borders.

I second this. Get a passport. If not because of the reasons stated below, then to help secure our borders.

How is me getting a passport gonna secure the borders?? Maybe a better question is because I dont have a passport, how it the US border left unsecured.

The sky is fallling, the sky is falling:rolleyes:

Get the passport. It's your picture ID, BC in one package. And, if you're "stuck" in another country, it helps the US Embassy help you. The cost? Spread it out for ten years, and if you use it enough, it's a good deal. My opinion, of course!;)

How is me getting a passport gonna secure the borders?? Maybe a better question is because I dont have a passport, how it the US border left unsecured.

The sky is fallling, the sky is falling:rolleyes:

You can think that way, but anything that make border security easier helps with over all security.

It is not about having or NOT having a passport if you are not planning to cross the border. Stay in the USA, and don't get a passport. However if plan to cross the border then it helps if you are prepared for enhanced security.

I am sure it is much easier to think it is still Sept. 10th... I understand.

You can think that way, but anything that make border security easier helps with over all security.

It is not about having or NOT having a passport if you are not planning to cross the border. Stay in the USA, and don't get a passport. However if plan to cross the border then it helps if you are prepared for enhanced security.

I am sure it is much easier to think it is still Sept. 10th... I understand.

On September 11th all of the hijackers had valid passports. I still do not understand how a bunch of U.S. citizens on a cruise ship (that is doing a closed looped cruise) all having passports secures our borders.

Just wanted to point out that well past 9/11 Canada allowed undocumented workers to arrive and were allowed entry into the country as long as they promised to show up at an immigration hearing. In the U.S. they would find themselves in custody and most likely deported post haste.

Well good for you, you don't have to stress about yourself! and please, don't worry about me and my birth certificate carrying self!

On September 11th all of the hijackers had valid passports. I still do not understand how a bunch of U.S. citizens on a cruise ship (that is doing a closed looped cruise) all having passports secures our borders.

Just wanted to point out that well past 9/11 Canada allowed undocumented workers to arrive and were allowed entry into the country as long as they promised to show up at an immigration hearing. In the U.S. they would find themselves in custody and most likely deported post haste.

It is not about the hijackers, it is about secure borders. If you don't understand how a passport is better than a birth certificate which does not have a picture, and is not standard (so there is no way to know if it a forgery) and a drivers license, then I wont be able to convince you.

It is not about the hijackers, it is about secure borders. If you don't understand how a passport is better than a birth certificate which does not have a picture, and is not standard (so there is no way to know if it a forgery) and a drivers license, then I wont be able to convince you.

You are missing the point entirely. The post is about the requirement for U.S. citizens needing a passport to take a Caribbean cruise. As it stands now we do not need one for a closed loop cruise. The government is allowing us to leave the country on a cruise departing and returning to the same port with only a birth certificate and government issued ID. The powers to be see this activity as a low security risk to begin with or they would never have the current rules to take place in a post 9/11 world.

Now if you wish to turn this into a debate about foreign nationals crossing borders then yes a passport (or passport card) is the more secure document and that's why the government requires it.

Last spring, DH and I were booked on a cruise (with passports) and had plans for our kids to stay with GMA and GPA during that time. Turned out that the grandma had a bit of a health problem come up about 4 weeks before our cruise, so it was uncertain whether she would be able to keep them during our planned cruise.

DH and I were not able to cancel the cruise at that point, so we decided to bring the kids. Their passports were expired at that point. We learned on CC that all we needed were birth certificates. We also went to the BMV and got them state IDs with their pictures on them.

No way could we have afforded to pay extra for expedited passports, or drive to the nearest passport agency 7 hours away and get them in that short time, in addition to the cost to buy another cabin for the kids on short notice.

I guess my point is that it is not always possible or practical to get passports...especially if it is not an absolute requirement.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D.

Boo

Why is a select few posters getting there panty's in a bundle about getting passports.If there not required until June 1st, 2009 why get one.I have talked to several US Embassy's around the Carribean and was informed if there was an Emergency you could get a passport that very day.

If you have the proper identification. Otherwise it is much more difficult. But to some degree you are correct- you can usually get one which is limited in time in an emergency. We did in Thailand after ours were stolen. But it was a long day and very concerning. But the price of a passport over the amount of time it is good is very small. More and a bit of a hassle for kids- they and both parents need to apply. But still they are about $19 a year or something- a couple of DOB over a trip and you have it paid. And a passport is a good thing to have. It means that you can go away at a moments notice!

I guess the reason I got a passport is because as much as the requirements have changed over the years, I am always afraid that we'll get out of the country or get really close to the cruise date and they will change the requirements on me. That's all I'd need is to get within a few days of my cruise and find out that I need one and don't have one. But to each their own. :)

You are missing the point entirely. The post is about the requirement for U.S. citizens needing a passport to take a Caribbean cruise. As it stands now we do not need one for a closed loop cruise. The government is allowing us to leave the country on a cruise departing and returning to the same port with only a birth certificate and government issued ID.

The problem is that sometimes you might not have a closed looped cruise, so what happens then? Last year with the hurricane damage in Galveston, people ended up in New Orleans......if they didn't have a Passport they wouldn't be allowed off the ship?????

You are missing the point entirely. The post is about the requirement for U.S. citizens needing a passport to take a Caribbean cruise. As it stands now we do not need one for a closed loop cruise. The government is allowing us to leave the country on a cruise departing and returning to the same port with only a birth certificate and government issued ID.

The problem is that sometimes you might not have a closed looped cruise, so what happens then? Last year with the hurricane damage in Galveston, people ended up in New Orleans......if they didn't have a Passport they wouldn't be allowed off the ship?????

It was a scheduled closed loop cruise. Some of those passengers are still on the ship waiting for their passports:D I am sure the government allows for these type of exceptions if not it would have been all over the news.

Archived