Are RCCL Removing Conceirge Access for Diamond Members? - Opinions please

You state that the CL on the ship was converted back to a card room for your cruise and concluded from that fact that diamond members were no longer going to be given access to CLs fleetwide. That's a bit of a leap in logic, isn't it? Was there a CL for suite guests on your ship and if not, should we assume that their access to the CLs are also going to be eliminated? It is already late January so the reports that this action was going to be implemented throughout the fleet beginning January 1st is already behind schedule.

Bill, I don't think that you are being fair to the OP. The OP stated that the CL was removed on Legend two weeks prior to his cruise, which is fact. The rest of the information he presented came from the Legend's Food and Beverage Manager and the Guest Services Manager. Why would he not take the word of these two staff members at face value? I would have.....then I would have posted here on CC, as he did, to determine if others had heard the same information. I don't think that there is much wrong with starting a post like this.

You state that the CL on the ship was converted back to a card room for your cruise and concluded from that fact that diamond members were no longer going to be given access to CLs fleetwide. That's a bit of a leap in logic, isn't it? Was there a CL for suite guests on your ship and if not, should we assume that their access to the CLs are also going to be eliminated? It is already late January so the reports that this action was going to be implemented throughout the fleet beginning January 1st is already behind schedule.

Bill, I don't think that you are being fair to the OP. The OP stated that the CL was removed on Legend two weeks prior to his cruise, which is fact. The rest of the information he presented came from the Legend's Food and Beverage Manager and the Guest Services Manager. Why would he not take the word of these two staff members at face value? I would have.....then I would have posted here on CC, as he did, to determine if others had heard the same information. I don't think that there is much wrong with starting a post like this.

For us it's the private lounge for breakfast with cappacino. The Concierge makes all your reservations for you at Chops or Portofino and you recieve your ice show tickets. The concierge books your shore excursions for you as well. He will also assist with any special needs or dining room arrangements. You can come in for a coffee in the afternoon and sit in relative quiet. The Concierge also has DVD's for you to watch in your cabin. The evening cocktail hour is a very nice perk and enjoyable to meet other passengers in the lounge. Many make lasting friendships there. Overall it's a benefit afforded to loyal passengers of the cruise line. Take this all away and it evens the playing field with other cruiselines that are defintely more price competitive.

I would miss all those things..especially the ease of meeting people...it seems that people who have cruised a lot, have a lot of interesting information, stories to tell...kind of like on CC.

I started cruising on RCI because I loved the ships and the service...but now that I have built up 30 cruises I would be very disappointed if the CL or DL was taken away. Yes, I would be more likely to consider other lines...Princess has a pretty good program I've done about ten cruises on their line...so I could build that up.

Free drinks...please, the CL is so much more than that.

I'll just wait and see if this happens. Unfortunately I prefer to sail out of NY (where we live) - If this happens I will be considering Celebrity, Holland American and Princess.

I am a Diamond member primarily due to the number of cruises I sailed with Celebrity. My feelings is if a program is revamped, they really need to base your status on the number of days cruised not the number of cruises. I think Royal Caribbean will probably do this as the other cruise lines base their loyalty status on total days. It really isn't fair for a person who sailed a total of six days (2 cruises) to receive two credits when a 7 day cruise receives one credit.

How they handle past guests and grandfathering in will definitely be an issue.

RC seems to be removing all enjoyable aspects of cruising from there ships. Bad customer service, poor food, just simply put "Wasted Money". And I am a Diamond Plus member. I cruise somewhere between 3 and 6 times per year and have eliminated RC as an option.

Troll alert!

I don't know what eventually will happen but I am not as prone as some others to believe that every imaginable bad thing that might happen will happen. Just because something can happen doesn't mean it will happen.:rolleyes: Frankly I am a bit disappointed by the reaction of some who "knew something like this was going to happen".

I enjoy the benefits of the concierge lounge but I enjoyed my RCI cruises before we had concierge lounges or access to them and I believe that, in the unlikely event that they are eliminated, I will continue to enjoy my cruises. If I don't I suspect that the elimination of the lounges won't be the reason.

Well put

Actually they should not allow you to cross lines with your status. That alone would cut down on some of the CL use.

When Royal caribean and celebrity close their books at year end - they are one company - united - you can't buy celebrity stock only RCL.

When Royal caribean and celebrity close their books at year end - they are one company - united - you can't buy celebrity stock only RCL.

I'm very aware of that. All of the brands for Carnival Corporation are under the same company umbrella but they don't cross the lines when it comes to past guest benefits.

I'm very aware of that. All of the brands for Carnival Corporation are under the same company umbrella but they don't cross the lines when it comes to past guest benefits.

If you really want to cut down on the number of people that have access to the CL they need to raise the number of days a person has to cruise to become platinum, diamond or diamond plus. A person can become diamond by merely cruising 30 days - instead of 10 cruises @ 7 days. Quite a big difference.

If you really want to cut down on the number of people that have access to the CL they need to raise the number of days a person has to cruise to become platinum, diamond or diamond plus. A person can become diamond by merely cruising 30 days - instead of 10 cruises @ 7 days. Quite a big difference.

At least they are doing it on the same cruise line.

In the end RCI will determine what changes are made. My bet is the CL will go directly to those guests that book GS and higher and I don't have a problem with that.

As a Diamond+ member I would definitely be upset if they did away with the access to CL.

We got to Diamond+ the hard way and taking that privilege away would be very upsetting. So many people are stating that they don't use the CL very often -- hopefully it won't get overcrowded. Our friends are always wanting us to go on a cruise on a different line but we remain Loyal to Royal - but not if our priviliges are taken away. Is it true that on the Freedom class (where they have D/D+ lounges) you do not have access to the CL unless you are in a suite? I don't think that is right! I think the only answer is to make it harder to reach the different levels!

As a Diamond+ member I would definitely be upset if they did away with the access to CL.

We got to Diamond+ the hard way and taking that privilege away would be very upsetting. So many people are stating that they don't use the CL very often -- hopefully it won't get overcrowded. Our friends are always wanting us to go on a cruise on a different line but we remain Loyal to Royal - but not if our priviliges are taken away. Is it true that on the Freedom class (where they have D/D+ lounges) you do not have access to the CL unless you are in a suite? I don't think that is right! I think the only answer is to make it harder to reach the different levels!

Their loyalty ase in each category grew too fast - the crusing industry enjoyed a number of years of great growth - Cruising is not just for seniors anymore. This became a problem and their program should have been revamped a number of years ago. As I stated it should not be the number of cruises, but based on the number of days cruised.

I see far too many people taking 3 day cruises just to get their numbers up. I did a 5 day onces, but never less than a 7. We are currently booked on a 10 day, Someone who does 3 3 days will get 3X the number of credits that we will get. Doesn;t seem fair. Could the 3 days count as only a half a cruise? There needs to be some rethinking. I like just adding the total number of days.

To the poster who said that it is nowhere stated in RCL brochure or website, I just copied this from RCL website:

"Suites On Legend Of The Seas - Royal Caribbean International Most come with a private balcony and all include standard features. Some suites even include complimentary concierge service, which includes access to a private lounge as well as personalized service to help with making reservations or other arrangements. Suites are a great way to travel in style and give your family more space, while keeping everyone together."

I am sailing Legend in April and I called C&A today about this. They are sending an email to the concierge and asking them to email me. I am sorry but I do have a big issue with this. If they want the card room back then why not just open a satelite lounge for cocktail hour like they do on other ships when the cl is crowded. I also think it is really tacky to have a benefit then not have a benefit then have it again at their whim. I have cruised RCL many times and I am sorry but their product quality is starting to go down hill. Sooner or later that is going to start impacting customers decisions on sailing with RCL or another cruiseline.

We got to Diamond+ the hard way and taking that privilege away would be very upsetting. So many people are stating that they don't use the CL very often -- hopefully it won't get overcrowded. Our friends are always wanting us to go on a cruise on a different line but we remain Loyal to Royal - but not if our priviliges are taken away. Is it true that on the Freedom class (where they have D/D+ lounges) you do not have access to the CL unless you are in a suite? I don't think that is right! I think the only answer is to make it harder to reach the different levels![/QUOT

I believe the CL lounge shld be available only to suite pax & D+ members..if RCL starts counting days NOT cruises so I agree with u RCL needs to change the policy on reaching a C & A level!!

Seems RCL in their haste to ensure repeat cruisers they started offering perks that wld backfire - too many reaching D & D+ status..

The 'free drinks' program costs RCL a ton of $ and with the economic situation being as it is and will continue to be for some time to come, they have to start economizing if they want to stay in business.

Are u suggesting the CL access & free drinks are the deciding reason u sail RCL though?

Where are all u folks who are threatening to 'bail' out (pardon the pun) going to go if RCL does start this - all cruiselines are economizing.... and most don't even offer 'free' drinks to any pax except perhaps for a one-time bar setup for Suite pax..or access to a CL for anyone BUT suite paxs!!!

Besides, with the reduced fares offered lately I suggest u can't do better than RCL, perks or not!

Have happy cruisin'!

We are just off the 1/18 Independence sailing. There was a concierge lounge for suite guests and also one for Diamond and Diamond+.

The problem was that no one monitored access to the Diamond lounge. If the door was opened by someone with a key card, others followed in. The Diamond lounge is next to the Oliver and Twist Lounge ( Viking Crown on other ships). If RCC wants to control costs (as we all do), have someone monitor who gets access. Sounds simple:confused:

I am concerned that if the lounge costs spiral (especially when you have many who should not be there), they will cut this benefit. I did put this on my Satisfaction comments.

We have been on many RCC ships with concierge service and never saw such lax oversight of entry to the lounge.We always had to produce proof we were D or D+:(

I am thinking as I write this I hope RCC gets my message.

The 'free drinks' program costs RCL a ton of $ and with the economic situation being as it is and will continue to be for some time to come, they have to start economizing if they want to stay in business.

I disagree about what the program cost. They can't be paying more than $5 to $10 a liter for the booze. It probably isn't costing them more than a hundred a ship a night. I would think their cost is closer to $5 a bottle.

Along these same lines of total number of cruise days, concierge lounge access, etc, we just completed the two-night Navigator of the Seas one time cruise.

Boarding day, we received a letter stating that due to the short length of the cruise NO Crown and Anchor gifts would be passed out, plus no loyalty party and return party would be held, but we did receive a key to the lounge.

Turns out that what we love most in the concierge lounge, the fabulous coffee/espresso/capuccino machine, was on a catch-as-catch can basis. We'd go and the machine would be "locked", or dozens of chairs were piled in front of it or it would serve only decaf coffee. Today, the morning we were to leave the ship, Carlos Marisigan, our concierge, informed us that the coffee machine was not available because it was going to be "inspected" that morning.

I can't prove that this delightful perk of Diamond/D+ was deliberately cut back too on this short cruise, but I suspect that it may have been.

That said, we did get one C&A cruise credit for this cruise.

I do feel that RCI is making cuts large and small in every area they can to save money. But every business is. In a two block area of our home town entertainment strip, three major restaurants have closed since June including Macaroni Grill and Ruby Tuesday. We also lost Circuit City and Linens and Things recently in that same area.

At least RCI is still sailing. I do suspect, however, that they might phase out the R&A gifts and maybe cut back on parties...drinks but no canapes, etc.

I failed to mention, if there was a Loyalty Ambassador aboard, I never knew it. I guess RCI wasn't going to give discounts for on board booking during a two day cruise.

Okay, I am going to be totally honest here about the CL. DH and myself would have at least 3 drinks each on any length cruise. What are we saving? You do the math. I am talking liquor and not beer or wine. Yes we do use the other perks of the CL but the coctail hour, truth be told is the main perk.

Is the CL or Diamond lounge important to us…..u betcha! If they do take this perk away then I will definitely look to other cruise lines we have sailed before that is begging for our business. Our OBC, NC,SB and whatever have been reduced.

I have never had a bad cruise. I will book any mass market cruise line that gives me the best bang for the buck because I love to cruise. We have sailed most of the mass market lines.

I am loyal to Royal because of the way they treat me now! Tomorrow is a different story.

Just the PRIVILEADGE of getting in the room is a big kick in itself! LOL

Technically, you could reach Diamond by sailing only 15 days...5 cruises of 3 nights in a suite.

We just became Diamond this year. We have since cruised twice on RCCL and one of those cruises was on the Monarch, which does not have a CL. Our 14 night Serenade cruise was our first as Diamond members and we did use the CL a lot. Maybe because it was an Alaska cruise and we got hooked on those cappuccinos! But I found myself going in to the CL if I wanted to use the internet or just sit and look out at the scenery. We never did go to the cocktail hour, which was held up in the Vortex.

I am not saying that if they took away my CL privileges (which we earned by taking a couple of longer cruises and just cruising often) that I would totally take my business elsewhere, but that perk is factored in when we are looking at what to book. Take that away on top of not letting us use C&A coupons with our balcony discount and suddenly other cruise lines are looking a little better. We have already sampled other lines over the years that we have been cruising, so it's not like we're going into unchartered territory.

Just my 2¢.

I disagree about what the program cost. They can't be paying more than $5 to $10 a liter for the booze. It probably isn't costing them more than a hundred a ship a night. I would think their cost is closer to $5 a bottle.

Say on a ship carrying 2500 pax u have under 1/3 of them getting free drinks..so 800 pax X .50 each considering lots have more than 1 drink and some none (including mix, cost of breakage etc.), not including the cost of the staff to serve the pax - (yes, they do get paid if only a small amt plus room & board and if serving u they aren't working elsewhere,) totals $400 per nite x 365 days per yr = $146,000 per ship daily & averaging out (some ships carry a lot more than 2500 pax) on all 21 (did I get the count right?) RCL ships totals over $3M per yr...

Even if the amount is only 1/2 that -$1.5M yrly, it is going up every yr because of the increase in Diamond members..& esp at this time when RCL is having to slash fares & lower revenues??

Any amt over a Mil seems like a 'ton of $' to 'moi' but perhaps u consider it 'chump change'! Wish I was u then :)

Archived