Luggage valet on Princess?

savgerl

On my last RCL cruise, they had an option for Luggage Valet - you pay $20pp and still put your luggage out the night before but w/ the valet tags. They print your boarding passes and deliver them to your room the last night as well. Your luggage is then checked in for you w/ the airline and nothing to worry about ... you see your bags again when you arrive at home.

Does anyone know if Princess has a similar service?

On our Crown cruise in January, Southwest (actually I think the vendor was Bags to Go) had a kiosk set up after we collected our bags upon disembarkation. They would print out boarding passes and check your luggage in at the airport for you. I think it was only for Southwest. We had printed our boarding passes onboard so only had to check our bags. It was $10.00 per bag. After seeing the Southwest check-in counter at the airport, I was thankful we didn't have to stand in the long, long line.

A company called Bags does this and their website (airportbags) will tell you if your port and airline participate. We were on the Crown out of San Juan last April and Princess did offer this service, although I am not sure if they used Bags. Because USAIR did not participate we could not use the service. :eek:

We were on the Emerald in October and Crown in January and I don't remember being offered anything similar.

We did the Med T/A and used "EZ Check" for our flight from FFL to LAX. Was great not seeing the bags until we got off at home. One thing though, I found out recently on the Diamond that Princess doesn't do "EZ Check" in Non US ports.

Bob

Diamond Princess Aus/NZ 01/09

Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Celebrity Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Carnival Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

What Princess calls "luggage valet" differs from what the OP described. (Check their website). It's pricey and only offered for certain cruises. When I called about it, it was explained they send airbills to affix to the bags, which are then picked up 2 weeks prior to the cruise, and delivered directly to the cabin. I don't know if they use different providers, but in my case the bags would have been collected by Federal Express.

On the return, you follow the usual "put the bags out the night before" routine, collect your bags and get them through customs, and then place them in an area designated for the luggage valet. The bags are then delivered to you within 5 business days.

It sounds extremely convenient provided you want to pack early, but the cost quoted to me for sending 3 standard sized suitcases roundtrip (up to 75 lbs each) was $1023.00.

Others have posted that the service to take your bags to the local airport (sometimes from outside your room, sometimes from after customs) for a small fee has been discontinued due to the airlines now charging differing amounts for checked luggage.

Where before it was, for example, $20 to do this for two bags, the airline did not get any of that money.

Now, depending on the airline, frequent flier status, type of ticket, international vs domestic for the originating ticket, credit card used to pay, etc., there can be a different airline charge for almost every passenger. Too much to handle, thus why it was discontinued.

Southwest does have, as one poster noted, at FLL a way to check in at the pier after bringing your bags through customs. Southwest does have a nominal charge for this service.

Archived