La Coruna shore excursions, tour operators

Any suggestions for shore excursions for La Coruna? Was looking at La Coruna / Betanzos or the Santiago half day. I know nothing about La Coruna so if someone has an alternate suggestion I would love to hear that too.

Also would like to have recommendations for private tour guides or drivers who speak English.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I am sorry, I don't know of tour operators in the area. But I do want to encourage you to go to Santiago de Compostela. It is one of the crown jewels of Spain. I have been to Santiago twice and I am going for the 3rd time in March ( these visits are not while on a cruise, but land travel). Not only it has a spectacular cathedral, but the town in its own right is lovely and interesting, with many historic old buildings. The old part of town is pedestrian, so it is very nice for walking around. La Coruña itself is a pleasant city, but nothing to get excited about.

If you want to see what Santiago is all about check this website:

http://www.santiagoturismo.com

La Coruna is actually very nice itself. There is an archeology musuem within walking distance of the pier--just turn right and you will run into it. It is in an old fort right on the water front. The square has all the sidewalk cafes enclosed in glass as it rains so much there. My son said it was like a terrerium for people. We had a great time just walking and exploring.

Although I agree with Rachel that Coruña is a nice city, there is just no comparison with Santiago. Unless you are planning to come to this area of Spain in the future I would highly recommend that you go to Santiago. It's not far away, less than a hour on the highway. Actually, it is very easy to go by train or bus, but not knowing how many hours you have I wouldn't risk advising you to do it on your own.

What ship are you on?

Although I agree with Rachel that Coruña is a nice city, there is just no comparison with Santiago. Unless you are planning to come to this area of Spain in the future I would highly recommend that you go to Santiago. It's not far away, less than a hour on the highway. Actually, it is very easy to go by train or bus, but not knowing how many hours you have I wouldn't risk advising you to do it on your own.

What ship are you on?

We are on the Century. We are supposed to have 8 hours, but it's later in the day (1300-2100) so I don't want to risk train runs being less frequent. I'm definitely leaning toward seeing Santiago de Compestela. If I can't find an independent tour, the ships tour should be fine.

Thanks to all for their feedback.

I'm definitely leaning toward seeing Santiago de Compestela. If I can't find an independent tour, the ships tour should be fine.
An alternative: rent a car in La Coruna and drive yourself to Santiago de Compostela. I've done this a couple of times now, and wouldn't hesitate to d it again. It's a very quick and easy drive, and you have a lot more flexibility than on a tour.

• 1 month later...
An alternative: rent a car in La Coruna and drive yourself to Santiago de Compostela. I've done this a couple of times now, and wouldn't hesitate to d it again. It's a very quick and easy drive, and you have a lot more flexibility than on a tour.

Can you, or anyone else on here, recommend a reputable rental car agency in La Coruna? Will an International driver's licence be required? Not sure if there is time to get one, if that is the case...

Thanks nparmalee, but live too far away from a AAA office (and not a member) to be bothered with all that. Perhaps the train might be a better option if the times work out.

I did find an answer about car rental places in A Coruna on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=610984&highlight=coruna

But I just checked the Celebrity shore excursions and they are offering a Half Day tour to Santiago for $52.pp. By the time we rent a car, pay for gas, get an international driver's licence, admissions, etc. I think we might just as well do the ship tour with a guide.

Well, you can also mail in the application to AAA, just need a copy of DL and 2 passport photos with the filled in app. Not sure what their turnaround time is though for mailed. In your case, you probably are better off with the train or ship excursion.

• 3 weeks later...
Can you, or anyone else on here, recommend a reputable rental car agency in La Coruna?
I've done this twice. Once from Hertz at the train station (to/from which you really need to get a taxi), and more recently from Avis at their city centre location (to/from which you can easily walk). Both delivered exactly the kind of service you expect from these brands - no hassle at all.

I've done this twice. Once from Hertz at the train station (to/from which you really need to get a taxi), and more recently from Avis at their city centre location (to/from which you can easily walk). Both delivered exactly the kind of service you expect from these brands - no hassle at all.

Will it be problem getting a rental car if neither of us can speak or understand Espanol? (native speakers all seem to talk too fast for me to understand!lol;))

I like the Avis location suggestion. Also, if we do not have an international driver's licence, will they let us rent a car in Spain? I know we can in France and England (from past experience.)

Will it be problem getting a rental car if neither of us can speak or understand Espanol?
No problem. I speak no Spanish, and none of my friends did on either occasion. And even if we did, I can guarantee that none of us would have spoken it as well as the Hertz and Avis staff spoke English.

I can't say for sure about an international drivers licence. I have an EU licence (UK), so it is no problem in the EU. And I have never had any issues using that licence on its own in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and elsewhere. But I couldn't guarantee that it would be the same for someone holding a US licence.

Archived