Notepad computers for Cruising........

sail7seas

Circuit City's going out of business sales here in So Cal are nothing to get excited about. As you probably know, a liquidation company buys the inventory and knows how to get maximum dollar for it. The 20-40% off is below the full retail price. Things are less expensive online or even down the street at Best Buy. I'm not criticizing the CC sales though...it's intersting to see people crowding into the stores for the privelege of paying too much for non-returnable items.

Things could change in a few weeks as remaining items are discounted further to clean out remaining inventory so they can vacate the space.

I've never found a 'great' deal at any going of business sale. By the time the discounts are substantial most of the good stuff is gone. It amazes me that people automatically assume they are getting a good deal if a company is going out of business. I have found that Amazon generally has much better prices overall. I bought my Aspire One from Amazon. At the time it was one of the best prices out there. Since I order a ton from Amazon and have a 'prime' membership, shipping is free on most items.

I, too have an ACER Aspire One 110-1588. Purchased at Costco for $449 Cdn. Costco extended the warranty for an extra year, package included mouse and case. I find the keyboard to be small, but not too terribly important. The portability is the selling point for me. this unit will fit quite nicely into my camera backpack with the rest of the camera equipment, and will fill all of my personal needs. Great piece of technology.

Just a quick thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. With the information you all gave we went out yesterday and bought an LG 10" screen at Future Shop for $479CDN. (They only had one left and the box was open....which means it was returned...it also had all the inspection labels still on it that the store applies when they give it a going over before refunding....anyway....they gave us a $199 warranty package for 'free')

So with everyone's help we really came out ahead.

Thanks again folks!!

I tried the Acer, but found that the keyboard on the Averatec was larger and easier to use. It has an Intel Atom processor and 160 GB HDD. It is actually faster than my larger 4-year old HP laptop. Love it! So much easier to pack and carry. Bought mine at Circuit City. Fortunately, I had enough foresight not to buy their extended warranty.

I've been fine with the 1G memory as I haven't loaded software that takes up huge amounts of memory on the Mini. I transferred a bunch of photos but also brought a keychain drive with 8Gig of space for back-up.

I heard the Internet person tell many people that they could NOT use their laptops in their cabin. As his desk was also in the library on the Amsterdam, you couldn't help overhearing. One day, I was using my little laptop in my cabin and as I went to sign off using http://1.1.1.1, the page wouldn't load so I immediately shut down the computer completely to make sure no additional minutes were used. That evening, the Internet person was supposed to be on duty from 7 - 10PM according to the daily schedule so I stopped by at 8:45. No Internet person. I waited 20 minutes but he never appeared. I stopped by the next day and explained what happened and he literally snarled at me in a confrontational way, "You know you're not supposed to use your laptop in your cabin and you do so at your own risk?" I told him that I was aware of it and I'd done it anyway. So he snarled again, "Well, I can't help you then." I got him to look up my record and even though the page hadn't loaded, I'd been signed off. So, he yelled at me some more not to use my laptop in my cabin. I was fully aware that connection speed isn't as fast from the cabin but when I did take my laptop to the Internet cafe, the connection speed wasn't any faster than in my cabin so I just ignored him. He was very unpleasant.

As far as I know the internet manager is provided by the internet supplier, MTN, and is not a HAL employee. My experience with the two internet managers that I have dealt with is that they are not hired based on their interpersonal skills. In any job like this, you have to deal with a wide variety of folks with varying technical ability, as well as a few who will try to "game the system" to avoid or reduce their bill, so they sometimes get very hardline.

As for access in the cabin, I had mixed results on the Prinsendam. I was usually able to connect OK, but with a very weak signal strength (around 10 to 15 per cent). I didn't do any benchmarks on performance in the cabin vs hotspots, but my gut feel is that response time might have been slightly slower in the cabin, but I have no hard data to back that up.

I don't know what to do to improve the customer service of the internet managers. I always try to fill out the cruise survey to provide feedback on what was good and what was not. I'm not sure that will fix the problem, because the intrusive photographers (who are also non-HAL employees) are still there.

I looked at WalMart and the one near me did not have the Acer.

Did you buy the three or the six cell battery. I want the six cell but my Wal Mart didn't have either.

My memory is you can use the three prong plug in cabin outlets. Drop one of the small three prong adapters into your suitcase just in case. Takes no room, costs 99 cents and you won't have to stress just in case.

Well, friends ... I didn't participate in this thread, but I did read every word as it was happening. My white 6 cell Acer Netbook arrived yesterday, and I love it! I'd gone, as suggested, to a local store to try out the keyboard - it's a little tight, but certainly nothing I can't live with. The only place I could find the 6 cell battery was at Amazon, so that's where I got mine.

I'd like to add a word about Acer, a personal experience that has me sold on the brand. About a year ago, we bought an inexpensive notebook specifically for travel (about $700, which was inexpensive at the time). We just wanted something that was free of all our personal information. A few months ago, my more pricey HP notebook died - and rather than buy a new one, I got out that little Acer we'd bought. What a surprise - it totally fills my computer needs here at home. I sure didn't expect that. DH uses the "big" computer, but I like my own little place to play.

So, for anyone who is hesitating to get this $349 Netbook - just know that I am thrilled with mine. :)

I also have the 6-cell Acer Aspire One which I just acquired last month. It's been great so far (our regular computer is a nearly 7 year old laptop- still works great but weighs a ton!) We were able to connect from our aft cabin on the Eurodam, slow, but doable.

I am glad I bought the 6 cell instead of the 3 cell, the slight extra cost is worth it IMHO.

Hope you enjoy your new computers, GmaPajama and S7S.

I also have the 6-cell Acer Aspire One which I just acquired last month. It's been great so far (our regular computer is a nearly 7 year old laptop- still works great but weighs a ton!) We were able to connect from our aft cabin on the Eurodam, slow, but doable.

I am glad I bought the 6 cell instead of the 3 cell, the slight extra cost is worth it IMHO.

Hope you enjoy your new computers, GmaPajama and S7S.

other than length of time for working wirelessy what is the other advantages to the 6 cell Acers vesus the 3 cell? I can work while plugged in I don't necessarily need to be unplugged?? :o

other than length of time for working wirelessy what is the other advantages to the 6 cell Acers vesus the 3 cell? I can work while plugged in I don't necessarily need to be unplugged?? :o

For my uses, there's not always a place to plug in. The most comfortable place in my cabin - airports - movie watching on an airplane, etc. The 6 cell battery, with it's 5-1/2 hour charge, is going to be great.

Advantages of 6 cell over 3?

Other than a greater battery life (6 cell gets at least 5 hours, 3 cell gets 1-2 hrs) I don't think so.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a extra 3 cell battery for when I don't need need to be 'unplugged' for long period of times. The 6 cell adds about 1/2 pound plus a little more girth to the Aspire. 1/2 pound can get heavy when schlepping it around on a long trip. I've taken it on several and that extra 1/2 pound can start to weigh on you in a shoulder bag. Still, I love the 6 cell because I can move it around the house with me all day if I want. If you put it into stand by mode the battery last much longer.

For my uses, there's not always a place to plug in. The most comfortable place in my cabin - airports - movie watching on an airplanre, etc. The 6 cell battery, with it's 5-1/2 hour charge, is going to be great.

thanks! just needed to know what the difference is for roughly $50 more other than actual unplugged time, i.e. speed of processor or applications, or just convenience. :o

My DH and I each bought an Acer at Best Buy the other day. I wanted mine to use in the kitchen to load all my recipes so I didn't have to copy them on paper. I also thought this one would be great for our cruise in Sept. We paid $299.00. I love it already. My only complaint is the keyboard is smaller than my desktop, yeh I know this is a tiny computer and that's why the smaller keyboard. With my longer nails I keep hitting more keys than I want:rolleyes:. Guess the longer nails go.:D The Acer has just what I want on it since I do my other stuff on the desktop.

I had an Asus Eee and dual-booted Windows XP and Linux, but the keyboard was far too small for me to use comfortably. The keyboard on the Acer looks much more useable. 3G support would be nice to have, though. I wouldn't buy another netbook without it.

That's my problem exactly. I would love to buy a small notebook computer specifically for traveling, and a price of around $300 would be perfect for me since I don't travel often enough to make it worth it to spend much more ... but I have "fat fingers" and find typing on my laptop to be a chore. I can't imagine what it would be like typing on something like one of these small notebooks.

So, at least for me, I guess I'm going to have to keep lugging the heavier laptop on my cruises. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

You also might want to check out the just announced Asus EeePC 1000HE.

$350 street price and has been getting good reviews.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2340596,00.asp

We will be doing a 28 day B2B Panama Canal out of San Diego in November and I will absolutely be buying something with a 10 inch screen and good keyboard.

Hauling around a full size laptop when traveling does not make much sense in this day and age. I don't see where hard drive size much matters either with one of these travel machines. I'd prefer a solid state over mechanical hard drive and will wait until close to the sailing to see if a good one appears.

I've read that the solid state drives MAY consume a bit more power than a mechanical drive but haven't confirmed it. And if true, how much more??

Good cruising. Love those sea days.

You also might want to check out the just announced Asus EeePC 1000HE.

$350 street price and has been getting good reviews.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2340596,00.asp

We will be doing a 28 day B2B Panama Canal out of San Diego in November and I will absolutely be buying something with a 10 inch screen and good keyboard.

Hauling around a full size laptop when traveling does not make much sense in this day and age. I don't see where hard drive size much matters either with one of these travel machines. I'd prefer a solid state over mechanical hard drive and will wait until close to the sailing to see if a good one appears.

I've read that the solid state drives MAY consume a bit more power than a mechanical drive but haven't confirmed it. And if true, how much more??

Good cruising. Love those sea days.

I saw this yesterday at Best Buy for $199. It looked pretty neat, but the keyboard would be unworkable for me.

I do have a question regarding the use of such a computer on a HAL ship. Does one pay connection & time charges or is it similar to using a computer at a place like Starbucks. :confused:

You pay. The connection fee is $3.95, then it's $0.75 per minute.

You can purchase a plan of 100 minutes for $55, or 250 minutes for $100. If you do that the first day there's bonus minutes given.

Near the end of the cruise there are smaller packages available.

This afternoon I saw an Acer at Staples for $299. I do have a question regarding the use of such a computer on a HAL ship. Does one pay connection & time charges or is it similar to using a computer at a place like Starbucks. :confused:

Do you happen to know if it was a 6 cell battery? I was going to stop there yesterday and drove on by thinking Nah......they won't have it. Darn.

I've been very busy on a miserable task I must attend to and have had little time to do the 'fun' things like getting a new computer. :(

I love my Acer. just off 28 day in south america and so so easy.bought from amazon no shipping no tax. i did buy a mouse for cabin use. save time i did all the foot work best price and only simple purchase with 6 cell. cost $375 . Happy sailing Alsas

Do you happen to know if it was a 6 cell battery? I was going to stop there yesterday and drove on by thinking Nah......they won't have it. Darn.

I've been very busy on a miserable task I must attend to and have had little time to do the 'fun' things like getting a new computer. :(

Sail, why don't you just call Best Buy or Staples near you and ask. I also saw what you want on line at Amazon. Just be careful what you order since they also have some that are used.I'm thinking I would like one too and am trying to justify a reason to get it. I don't travel that much. Maybe for my special birthday coming in June.

Archived