Norovirus

paradiseseekers

I always check out the CDC vessel sanitation website to see the trend of norovirus. I wonder why HAL,Norwegian, and princess are the most numerous on the list!!?? I only sail Carnival, once on caribbean Princess where there was NORO. Carnival does have problems occasionaly, but not as much as these others...Just a thought...:confused: It definitely make a difference on my choice of ships

It may be that these ships sail longer itineraries that have more of a chance for the cruise line to determine there was an outbreak. It takes 3 percent of the passengers or cruise reporting symptoms to the medical staff to meet the reporting requirements of the CDC.

I could see where a short (3- or 4-night) cruise may not have enough people exposed to the virus and come down with symptoms before the cruise is over.

A lot of the cruises listed in the CDC reports were longer cruises. Just a few of them were 7-night cruises and even fewer were shorter than that.

Noro happens any and everywhere--elementary schools are a PRIME breeding ground for this germ!

A couple of years ago, in Wash. DC, several hotels were shut down due to Noro. Nursing homes routinely get this. It's NOT a cruise ship illness! It's just that cruise ships have to report it more readily than other places!

One of the major (world class) hospitals in Boston had to close their cardiac surgery floor for some number of days to eradicate an outbreak of Noro like Virus. It was a stubborn outbreak they had trouble getting under control.

There isn't a dormitory, nursing home, hotel and the like that has not had an outbreak.

One of the major (world class) hospitals in Boston had to close their cardiac surgery floor for some number of days to eradicate an outbreak of Noro like Virus. It was a stubborn outbreak they had trouble getting under control.

There isn't a dormitory, nursing home, hotel and the like that has not had an outbreak.

Trust me--as a nurse I can tell you that the worst thing I have seen is new surgery patients who have been hit by noro, or GI flu when it spreads through the hospital! It is awful!!!!

Nowhere is immune from this and it is very hard to control once it gets started!

I always check out the CDC vessel sanitation website to see the trend of norovirus. I wonder why HAL,Norwegian, and princess are the most numerous on the list!!?? I only sail Carnival, once on caribbean Princess where there was NORO. Carnival does have problems occasionaly, but not as much as these others...Just a thought...:confused: It definitely make a difference on my choice of ships

From our experiences, most cruise ships are more sanitary than most luxury hotels. The employees live on these ships and they want to do as much as possible to keep them that way.

Every where you go there are hand sanitary stations all over the place to cleanse your hands.

You certainly don't have to be on a cruise ship to get Noro. I had it just three weeks ago and I haven't done any travelling in months. Probably got it from shopping cart handle or a doorknob. I don't care to repeat that experience anytime soon.

My bet is Carnival doesn't report it like they are supposed to or that the typical Carninval passenger is soooo intoxicated that they think they are vomitting from being too drunk!

Norovirus is EVERY WHERE that there are large amounts of people in small spaces.

The biggest problem with the norovirus is that for you are contagious for 72 hours AFTER your 1st symptoms. So you blow both ends off for 24 hours and are "feeling better" and head out to enjoy the rest of your cruise and infect a ton of other people.

Every where you go there are hand sanitary stations all over the place to cleanse your hands.

I liked this when we sailed on the Sensation in December. Made sure to get a dab in my hand each time before I picked up those buffet trays.

Our markets provide large sheets of alcohol based wipes to use on grocery cart handles. Great idea and I specifically now only go to markets that have the dispensers right beside where you pick up a cart.

again on my second cruise with Princess, many people do not use the 'soap' that is there before going in the buffet, this was mainly young adults, they then proceed to not always use the utensil for picking up food. Some pick up a roll of bread with their hand and then replace it picking another, consequently I never opted for a bread roll

My guess is that most of the passengers (especially HAL) are bringing it directly from the convalescent hospital.

My guess is that most of the passengers (especially HAL) are bringing it directly from the convalescent hospital.

No it's dirty/filthy passengers that go to the toilet, don't wash their hands and pick up and put down again, bread rolls etc...and possibly pick their nose in between

Interesting article from USA Today.

I was on the Island Princess 1/3-1/13/09 from Acapulco to Fort Lauderdale and there was some type of outbreak as we got the in-room PA announcement from the bridge with the doctor. Also, after a few days, the buffets had staff serving the food and the Captain wasn't shaking hands at the repeaters party. The were no bread baskets in the dining room nor butter or salt/pepper shakers. The lotion patrols were out in full force and staff was furiously cleaning everything!

Since it was my first time on a ship with an outbreak, I don't have anything to compare things to, but I guess the measures taken by PCL where considerable if we weren't officially a noro-cruise (going by info from the article). Hate to see things if we would have been one...

My bet is Carnival doesn't report it like they are supposed to or that the typical Carninval passenger is soooo intoxicated that they think they are vomitting from being too drunk!

Norovirus is EVERY WHERE that there are large amounts of people in small spaces.

The biggest problem with the norovirus is that for you are contagious for 72 hours AFTER your 1st symptoms. So you blow both ends off for 24 hours and are "feeling better" and head out to enjoy the rest of your cruise and infect a ton of other people.

Not everyone on a Carnival cruise is roaring drunk. Besides, how drunk would one have to be, to not notice Noro virus? :eek: It isn't just vomitting!

I'm sorry, but I have to say it......

Because the people on Carnival fall overboard before they can infect anyone with NORO.

Obvious moron who knows nothing of Carnival but loves to show a lack of intelligence by talking out of the wrong part of the anatomy!

Doesn't make a difference to me. "Past history is no indicator" of future unclean masses. could show up on any ship, any time. I'm not going to go seek that stats, will just pick the sailings I want, and do like I always do: wipe down the cabin when I get there, and wash my hands frequently.

Would you let down your guard on a ship that doesn't frequently appear on the Noro Weekly list? I wouldn't.

We've not cruised with Carnival, but might in the future. I would never, ever make the kind of mean-spirited, ignorant, rude, nasty, and uncalled for remarks of some posters here. I guess they think it's funny or that it's okay to make fun of Carnival because of the past reputation of their small "party" ships that do the shorter itineraries--which are usually more party oriented no matter what cruise line we're talking about. It's not the Carnival pax who are low class, it's these kinds of immature posts.

beachchick

Archived