Coming Alaska Volcano Eruption????

jhannah

New activity within the Reboubt volcano which is across the Cook Inlet SW of Anchorage and WNW of Seward.

Since last fall, the Alaska Volcano Observatory (AVO) has detected increasing volcanic unrest at Redoubt Volcano. Starting on Friday, January 23, the level of seismic activity increased markedly, and on Sunday AVO raised the Aviation Color Code to ORANGE and the Volcano Alert Level to WATCH. On the basis of all available monitoring data AVO regards that an eruption similar to or smaller than the one that occurred in 1989-90 is the most probable outcome. We expect such an eruption to occur within days to weeks.

It's still a while before cruise season ... but who knows.

Click here to go to the Alaska Volcano Observatory website for more information.

I'm surprised that somebody is not putting together a 'see the volcano' cruise.

I wonder if any of the cruise lines might modify a north or southbound itinerary to allow the passengers to see the volcano?

Geography makes that out of the question. Yes, the volcano is near Anchorage, as are the cruiseports, but in opposite directions. The cruiseports are basically on the east coast of the Kenai Peninsula. Redoubt is across from the west coast of the Kenai Peninsula.

Ah yes, that little volcano. I live about 100 miles from Mt. Redoubt, a bit outside of Anchorage. As mentioned above, this has no impact to the parts of the state that cruise ships cruise, regardless of when it may go off. While ash fall may eventually drift into our area, depending on wind direction ect, there are no people living in the immediate area of the mountain to be affected by mudflows etc.

The last this peak went off in 1989-1990 it lasted a few months and did deliver ash to the Kenai Peninsula and Anchorage area, but we are somewhat used to that here. Frankly, I'm more concerned about the cold weather this month than the volcano (although it as become a bit of a welcomed distraction vs talk of the economy).

For those of you coming to see us this summer, perhaps you'll get some great stories from locals about "where were you the day it blew". Come one come all... we have room for you, especially this year!

Archived