Snorkeling with facial hair?

swom

What's the secret for snorkeling with facial hair? Hubby has a mustache and mask leaks because of it. We've tried vaseline, but that doesn't do much good. Any advice? (Shaving isn't an option) :D

Thanks!

What's the secret for snorkeling with facial hair? Hubby has a mustache and mask leaks because of it. We've tried vaseline, but that doesn't do much good. Any advice? (Shaving isn't an option) :D

Thanks!

I myself have a pretty thick fu manchu and while I do get a little leakage, it has never bothered me enough to consider it much of a problem. I have used vaseline and it does seem to help me a little bit. I do trim my mustache a bit at the start of vacation but no more than I normally would. I think what helps me the most is having my own mask that has a pretty wide and soft edging.

There is a technique that involves pushing on the top of your mask into your forehead and blowing air out of your nose. This will force water out of the mask either above or below the water. Hope that helps, no sense in shaving anything off!

I myself have a pretty thick fu manchu and while I do get a little leakage, it has never bothered me enough to consider it much of a problem. I have used vaseline and it does seem to help me a little bit. I do trim my mustache a bit at the start of vacation but no more than I normally would. I think what helps me the most is having my own mask that has a pretty wide and soft edging.

There is a technique that involves pushing on the top of your mask into your forehead and blowing air out of your nose. This will force water out of the mask either above or below the water. Hope that helps, no sense in shaving anything off!

Wouldn't this cause a fog in the mask?

Wouldn't this cause a fog in the mask?
Not if the mask was treated with a de-fogger before use. When I snorkel or dive and my mask starts to fog up, I let a little water in, swirl it around by shaking my head and then clear my mask by the method above. Then when I get out of the water I treat my mask again.

I've been snorkeling/diving (including today) with a full short beard and mustache for years with no leakage. There's two secrets:

1) get a mask that fits your face. Too many people just grab any old mask and complain about leaking. Go to a local dive center and get fitted. You wouldn't just grab any pair of shoes available and expect a good fit. I tried a dozen masks before I found one that worked.

2) Pull your lips together, take a razor (I use a twin-blade) and just trip a tiny bit of the top of your mustache at each nostril (sorry about graphic images but necessary here). That 1/16" to 1/8" will make all the difference in the world. Plus as you let go of your lips you won't even be able to tell you'd trimmed but the mask will know. :D

No leaks, no worries.

Randall

Put your lips together how? Like a pucker for a kissy or straight line. LOL

I know this sounds stupid, but I want to make sure he doesn't leak this time. ;)

Hi,

Suck them into your mouth - like immitating an old man with no teeth. This pushes down the skin beneath your nose and tightens it.

My husband also has a mustache, and the first time he tried snorkeling he had a terrible experience because of leakage. Then someone told him about the "shaving a thin line right below your nostrils" trick and it worked like a charm for him. He shaves it right before our first snorkeling trip of each vacation and it is good until we are headed home. He does also still use a little vaseline just in case, and now he loves snorkeling too.

My husband also has a mustache, and the first time he tried snorkeling he had a terrible experience because of leakage. Then someone told him about the "shaving a thin line right below your nostrils" trick and it worked like a charm for him. He shaves it right before our first snorkeling trip of each vacation and it is good until we are headed home. He does also still use a little vaseline just in case, and now he loves snorkeling too.

Hi,

Just be aware that vaseline is a petroleum product and will damage the "skirting" on the mask (the silicon part that seals to your face). By putting vaseline in an area that's prone to leaking you're actually making the problem worst over time. Your husband should use that as a last resort but not a practice. :D

Randall

Archived