?? About Money. VERY last minute...we leave in a couple hours

Lauristeiny

Hi! We are leaving in about 5 hours to head to the airport for our cruise in australia. We are from the US. I was wondering how and when to exchange money?? Should we take cash with us or just bring our credit card and do it once we're in Sydney? In the airport? On the cruise ship? I'm afraid I have NO IDEA how to handle this. THANKS for your quick responses!! :)

Hi,

there are a number of options.......

- You can exchange your US$ to Aus $ at the airport when you get to Sydney. But exchange rate is usually lower than normal and they have fees.

- You can your your credit card and get money out of the ATM's (holes in the wall) in Australia. Exchange rate is usually the going rate and depending on who your bank is, there may be fees or there may not;

- You can exchange it on the crusie ship, but they usually charge about 3% in fees but their exchange rate is usually pretty good;

- There are plenty of cash exchange booths around Sydney and Melbourne, but again, their exchange rate is usually lower than the going rate and high fees

- You can also exchange money at Australian post offices. This is what I have done in the past as it is the best exchange rate and no fees. But, I have exchanged AUS$ to US and Canadian. I am not sure if you can do it the other way.

- Also, any bank here will exchange money. They are the going rate (that usually changes slighly by the minute) and have minimal fees.

My suggestion.........wait to you get here and try the Australian post offices in Sydney. If that doesn't work, enquire at a bank and do that way.

Regardless, you are still going to do well on the excahnge rate to AUS$.

Hope this helps.

fletch1

Depending on how you are travelling, and how much you anticipate spending, it would be cheaper and better off for you to bring it with you. But you have to weigh up the stress of carrying all that cash with you though.

Hi,

My suggestion.........wait to you get here and try the Australian post offices in Sydney. If that doesn't work, enquire at a bank and do that way.

To save you time, you cannot exchange foreign currency into cash at post offices, only Australian currency into foreign exchange (and you normally need to order that at least a day in advance as they need to order it in from American Express; they don't normally carry foreign currency themselves).

I'd probably go with the ATM withdrawal as a general recommendation - there are many around and the rates are good; it's only a question of the fees.

Archived