Booking a wedding though carnival-read first!

Hi everyone. I originally booked my wedding through carnival but have since cancelled and think everyone should know why.

They charge DOUBLE what you will pay if you book directly through the venue. For example, if you like the resort or location Carnival uses, they probably have a wedding coordinator on site that you can contact. Call them directly.

Do NOT book through Carnival.

If the location charges 14.00 pp round trip to the wedding location, Carnival will charge you 28.00. Carnival will also charge a per chair fee, a possible holiday fee, and you won't get half the things you would booking through the venue. I cancelled with Carnival once I realized I'm getting married on a holiday ( no one at Carnival knew this and I found out on my own). when I called my 'wedding planner' she informed me that since it was a holiday I would be charged extra!! She didn't even know it was a holiday. I found out and told her, and now you want to charge extra! :eek:

Carnival also uses a company called the wedding experience which has to get a cut of your money. Basically you're paying Carnival, the wedding experince, and your venue. If you book directly with the venue it WILL be much cheaper!

Also if you don't like the location Carnival uses, there are many other alternatives. Google the island or area and look at other options. Most of these places have wedding coordinators on staff and they are A LOT friendlier than your carnival 'wedding coordinator'.

I'm getting married July 6 in Grand Cayman. I booked the venue myself and am having a cocktail party back on board afterwards. They will try and scare you by telling you they won't do your reception if you don't book your wedding with them. You can book cocktail parties through the group dept. which are the same EXACT same thing, including music, they just won't decorate the room for you.

It may be less hassle to book with Carnival and just let them plan everything, but the customer service sucks and you will pay close to double for your day!

Hope this helps the brides!:D

p.s. Once you sign your contract with Carnival, none of the on site coordinators can help you. They have contracts with Carnival.

You are pretty much spot on, except for it's not just Carnival. It's all the mass market lines that do this with weddings.

I figured this out a few years ago when TWE (the company that gets the weddings subcontracted to them via all of the cruise lines) tried to charge me $300 for a Barbados marriage license that only costs $97. We got way more for less money by going through a private coordinator in Barbados.

Unfortunately if you want a shipboard wedding, using the ship's services and TWE is the only way to go.

It's all in what you want. :)

I agree with the poster above..it's all the cruisleines...

One important thing you may not be aware of...Grand Cayman is the most missed port. Will you be refunded if the ship cannot make port and do you have alternative wedding plans?

It sounds as if you have had more issues than just the price with CCL. Sometimes paying a bit more works out in the long run.

As another poster mentioned, Grand Cayman is the most missed port in the Caribbean so make sure that you will receive a refund--or can get married at a future date-- if you miss the port. All ships must tender, which makes weather critically important (we missed it once because of fog & I've often heard of it missed because of winds and seas). I think I remember a bride on here that went with a local planner there and it was in the contract that, if they missed Grand Cayman, they could get married there at a later date. They planned that, if they missed the port, they would fly to Grand Cayman after the cruise and get married.

Yea I agree thats why I booked with Janelle Scott for St Thomas. Also I spoke with someone ab a reception on the ship and the lady was very rude, but she forwarded me the info for a cocktail party that seemed just like a reception to me:rolleyes:. But honestly the prices my WC quoted me for a reception on the island was like $10 cheaper per person and offered more, so its still up in the air for me. I really wanted the reception on the ship but we'll see how it goes. It's based on how many ppl we book.

Archived