I Received My Compass Rewards

Whippets

My single account had 509 points in December - their "final" balance is 2 points!

DH's single account had 308 points in December - their "final" balance is 12!

Our joint account had 970 points in December - their "final" balance is 47!

We received a grand total of 3 worthless 1 category upgrade certificates.

It appears to me they only issued certificates for the points earned from our normal December 10 closing date thru December 31. We should have three $500 certificates and a couple of worthless 1 category upgrade certificates. Let the letter writing begin!!!

BTW, our PCC had confirmed the address as:

NCL Compass Reward Resolution

NC1-022-17-01

201 NORTH TYRON STEET

CHARLOTTE, NC 28255

“You will receive a response in 4-6 weeks in the mail.”

GOOD BYE BANK OF AMERICA! Just got my worthless category upgrades. I was expecting $300 of travel certificates to pay off the balance of my April cruise. I had about $320 worth of points as the Dec. 31. I can't hold NCL responsible for this, I am putting it squarely on BOA. I called my personal agent at NCL and she gave me instruction on how to proceed. It has been a nightmare to NCL the way the BOA administer changed the program from the original agreement. He gave me 4 $100 upgrades. Tried to make it sound like he was doing me a big favor. I have already stopped using the credit card. I do all of my banking with BOA (checking, saving, CD, and invesments thru it's newly acquired Merrill Lynch). They have gone from the most profitable Bank in the US to needing bailout money. Talk about bad managment. I'm headed elsewhere.

GOOD BYE BANK OF AMERICA! Just got my worthless category upgrades. I was expecting $300 of travel certificates to pay off the balance of my April cruise. I had about $320 worth of points as the Dec. 31.

Expecting $300 of travel certificates?

Actually, the only certificates that could be used to pay for a cruise (that I'm familiar with) have been in $500 increments all along. Less than $500 amounts have been upgrade certificates (as have amounts between the $500 increments)

Another goof-up by BankAmerica. My account was right. 18 points got us one worthless upgrade certificate. No complaints there.

My wife's account had 355 points as of the December closing. We charged another $5700 through December 31, which should have gotten us a $500 certificate. They claim we have 204 points and sent us three worthless upgrade certificates.

Incompetent jerks. And when I go to the BankAmerica web site it won't even show me my past statements, so I can prepare a package to send to them.

:) We have been with compass points for quite some time, took the Gem outta NY in Dec. and used 4 $500 certs. When Dec. ended my math said I should have had 202 points, at least enuff for 2 upgrades certs. When my statment came it showed me at 198 and did not give me any points for the Dec. purchases. I called BOA kinda upset and was on the phone a few different times for a lotta time. Finally one rep agreed with me, said he didn't know how to fix it, and as a make up to me for the mess would send me a $50 gift card from a list of thier preferred partners or something to that effect. I chose Exxon Mobil. I figured $50 was more than the value of the 2nd cert. so I was pretty happy. The card came within a week!!! TODAY (2-5-2009) I got mail from BAO (I live in NY btw) and in there were 3 100 point certificates, the statement said 202 points, and they gave me the 3rd cert for the overage (a measly 2 points). I dont understand why people say they are useless. The $500 off is definitely a better value but they can still be used to upgrade rooms and save a few bucks.I have 2 cruises booked in BA and will send them in a get a price reduction to a BB or BC. Only about $20 per person but better than nothing at all. All and all other than the 2 hours spent on the phone,I am happy with the handeling of my particular Compass Rewards program.

My TA was quite shocked that NCL never sent me a thank you for cruising to Bermuda on Dawn with 2 upgrade certs as they state on their web site. But after our Canadian cruise last November we got the letter & upgrade certificate for 2 the end of January. On it it states that it is good for upgrade for inside to inside, oceanview to oceanview or balcony to balcony (which should include the deluxe balcony aka mini suite) or if not available, you will receive a credit by one category. The itty bitty print also states NOT GOOD ON: L, M, N, H, HH, NR, BH, BI (whatever those are). And it must be mailed to them with your deposit. But mine was paid onboard.

I don't get it.... How do they work the upgrades? Do they give you a better cabin for x amount, or do they give you money back? I've never tried to use one. Do they specify that they can't be used on a cruise for which you also use a $500 cert?

Ok So I'm kinda new at this and need some help. I got my Compass Rewards Certificates in the mail today( 3 100 point upgrade certs.) They claim that my points balance as of Dec 31 was 241 points. I have spent $5,413 on the NCL card before 1/1/09, $4,750 of which was with NCL. How many points SHOULD I have?!?! Thanks in advance for the help. We're cruising for our honeymoon and any money i can get off the better.

Ok So I'm kinda new at this and need some help. I got my Compass Rewards Certificates in the mail today( 3 100 point upgrade certs.) They claim that my points balance as of Dec 31 was 241 points. I have spent $5,413 on the NCL card before 1/1/09, $4,750 of which was with NCL. How many points SHOULD I have?!?! Thanks in advance for the help. We're cruising for our honeymoon and any money i can get off the better.

5413 - 4750 = $663.

$663 x .03= 19.89 points

$4750 x .04 = 190 points

Total points = 209.89 points.

When BOA called a halt to Compass Reward as we knew it , I thought they specified that the last travel certificates were going to be sent out in $100 0r $500 multiples. I had only used $500 ones on my last 3 cruises with NCL. I did expect my final $300 to be in travel certs and not worthless upgrades. Did I miss something somewhere? Won't be the first time I've been wrong. Now if they want to upgrade me from my balcony to the penthouse, then maybe they won't be so worthless. I'm not holding my breath

Hi

Like all of you I feel I am getting ripped off too. I am also confused after being on the phone multi times with both NCL and BoA.

Today I got my letter from NCL giving me one $100 upgrade and a statement telling me I have 40 compass points. On my Dec. BoA statement my total points were 1114 and in my call to NCL I was told I had 6,507 "World Points". Finally in another call to NCL I was told I would be getting 2 $500 certificates mailed me. Can anyone here tell me what I should be getting for my points cause every time I make a phone call I get a different story/answer.

Just got off the phone, first with Bank of America, then with NCL. The former was useless, claiming they no longer have access to the records (Huh? Did Dick Cheney take 'em?). Spoke with Brandy, a "co-supervisor" at NCL's Phoenix location. She told me thay NCL has had many complaints and is gathering information from those of us who have received incorrect points and certificates to take it up with Bank of America, but told me to write to BoA at the infamous N. Tryon Street address given above in order to file a written objection.

You would get 4 pts per $100 for the NCL purchases, and you would get 3 pts per $100 on the remaining charges. So you would have 190 + 20 for a total of 210.

Add me to the list of people that didn't receive the correct certificates. We had max'd out our points on our November statement. I had used $500 pts earlier in the year and had $500 remaining. All I got was the upgrade certificate. After call BoA I now have an address to write to, but that doesn't help me with having the certificate to apply to a cruise that I leave in 14 days for.

Just got my BOA certificates in the mail...WRONG!:mad: My Dec. statement closed on Dec.3rd and I charged $1700 to NCL on Dec.3rd and it posted to my Jan. statement on Dec.4th. I had 435 points on my Dec. statement and they only gave me 17 points for my $1700. So I received 5 upgrade useless certificates and now I have to start writing that letter to dispute it. I was expecting a $500 off certificate and they screwed up mine to. I called BOA and was told send copies of everything to the Charlotte address. BTW, the agent at BOA said don't send the original certificates back, make copies and send those.

So, what do you think? Send the originals of just copies?:confused:

It's time to kick this up to the highest level. If all of us do this, we'll be more likely to get a fast resolution. Here is the contact info:

Mr. Kenneth D. Lewis

Chairman, CEO and President

Bank of America

100 N. Tryon Street.

Mail Code NC-1-007-18-01

Charlotte, NC 28255

ken.d.lewis@bankofamerica.com

Received our certs today:

One acct had a Dec closing balance of 484 and additional charges were posted before Dec 31 that would give an Jan 1 balance of 520. The correct certs were received (1 - $500 cert and 1 - priceless upgrade cert. :D

The second acct had a Dec closing balance of 544. The ONLY thing received for this acct was the ugrade cert. The letter said there were 2 points as of 12/31/08. I did call NCL and speak w/the latitudes dept. A very nice guy took my name, phone number, points missing info and said someone would investigate the problem. They would call back within 5 business days. Let the countdown begin...:D

Just as an FYI, these certs look different than the other ones. Also, there is space for 4 certs per page, not the usual one per page.

I received my Rewards today, On my Dec statement I had 1059 points . I received a 100 point upgrade and a statement that said I had a total of 10 pts on my account. Sounds like BOA had more wrong than right! My second Account was right.

I live in Massachusetts and haven't received my 2 - $500 certificates yet. I'm now wishing I had called to cash them in instead of waiting. Chances are they are going to be wrong.

Anyway, here's my question: Are the certificates that you are receiving that are wrong, the ones where you gathered all your points in December?? Do you think the incorrect certs are when the credit cards were used in December for the points?

I'm in Michigan--no certs yet for me!

I dont understand why people say they are useless. The $500 off is definitely a better value but they can still be used to upgrade rooms and save a few bucks.

There are a number of reasons why we consider the upgrade certificates worthless. The biggest one is that they can't be used for upgrades from inside to outside, from outside to balcony, etc. Since one of the common promotions cruise lines use to encourage bookings are free upgrades to the best available category within those same parameters, we savvy cruisers don't need a lousy certificate for an upgrade. If I can get an upgrade for free, and that upgrade is more than a one category upgrade, then that $100 cert is worthless.

And while the price difference between categories varies depending on the category, a quick check of one sailing shows that often the price only increases $20 per person between categories. So that $100 upgrade certificate could really only save you $40. If they were really worth $100, then why not let us use two $100 certs to upgrade two people from an inside to an outside since most often the difference between the lowest inside and the lowest outside is $100 per person?

You would expect that if a cruise line charges more for certain categories, they're worth more. However, there is very little difference between many cabins. For example, most likely the only difference between M and N inside cabins is the location. If I got an upgrade from an N to an M, I would consider that worthless. That said, there are some upgrades that would be worth it, like from an obstructed view outside cabin to unobstructed. But again, being a savvy cruiser, I'll just wait for the promo where I can buy the lowest outside and get the highest available for free.

OK so I need some advice on the best strategy. I am sailing on POA on May 23, and my final payment is due March 9. Currently I am booked in a BI Guarantee. All of the BI rooms are booked so I am guaranteed to be bumped up at least one category. I have my 3 compass rewards upgrade certificates to send in that I just got today. What should I do to get the best room?

A) Send in the certificates now and make my final payment on march 9.

B) Make the final payment now so they will go ahead and assign a room, then send in the upgrade certificates.

C) Pay my deposit March 9, then send in the certificates.

I was waiting til March 9 to pay because I was hoping the boat would fill up more and I would get bumped higher. Now, my thinking is that I go ahead and pay so I will get assigned(and bumped up a bit), and then get bumped up again from the 3 upgrade certificates. Any help on how to use the system best would be greatly appreciated!

Received our certs today:

One acct had a Dec closing balance of 484 and additional charges were posted before Dec 31 that would give an Jan 1 balance of 520. The correct certs were received (1 - $500 cert and 1 - priceless upgrade cert. :D

The second acct had a Dec closing balance of 544. The ONLY thing received for this acct was the ugrade cert. The letter said there were 2 points as of 12/31/08. I did call NCL and speak w/the latitudes dept. A very nice guy took my name, phone number, points missing info and said someone would investigate the problem. They would call back within 5 business days. Let the countdown begin...:D

Just as an FYI, these certs look different than the other ones. Also, there is space for 4 certs per page, not the usual one per page.

Everyone call the NCL latitudes desk. I just did and was told they are getting bombarded with these calls.

I was told to hold off sending a disputing letter and making copies of my statements.

They are going to handle this in a different way. They will call me back in 5 days.

I had to give him my name, phone #, points missing, last 4 digits of my CC and my reservation # on my next NCL cruise.

Good luck everyone!:):mad::confused::eek:

My December closing statement was 12/4. Prior to 12/31 I charged enough to take me over 1,000 points. In mid January I called BOA and reviewed with a nice lady working on a Saturday what the points should total. After a few minutes she found the correct amount which was 1,075.

After opening my letter today...it was CORRECT. Two five hundred certicates and one upgrade certificate. I praised Jesus and immediately logged on to report here. As a previous poster stated, they do not look the same as previous ones...they are on white paper all on the same sheet.

I will pray that all the incorrect ones will be corrected. Although I am happy to not copy, call, write, submit, wait, etc. I am interested in following your updates. I still have faith that what BOA messed up, NCL will do their best to assist and to help resolve (as TVLady just shared an NCL response to her).

coka

Despite what has been posted to the contrary on the NCL web site's FAQs (at least until recently), I'm concerned that BoA is going to fall back on the paragraph in their original notification letter that reads:

"Transactions made after your December 2008 statement closing date will not earn points towards the Compass Rewards program."

While many of us don't even have the correct balance as reflected on our December closing statements, in our case, if the post-December-statement charges are not counted, it's not going to matter. Four worthless upgrade certificates are of no more value to us than the three we were sent.

Archived