Long Flight to Australia

cruiseonly

Even more comfort

StarClass, Jetstar's premium cabin, is available on all international Jetstar services operated by the Airbus A330 and offers a total package experience for the traveller who wants more space, and more comfort, for a long trip. The StarClass cabin offers 38 leather seats, each with a 38-inch seat pitch giving you more room to move. All seats are equipped with in-seat power, allowing passengers to plug in a laptop or recharge personal music players.

In-flight service

As part of the StarClass personalised service, meals, beverages and a snack bar are included. StarClass passengers will have an unlimited beverage and snack bar, as well as all meals, included as part of the StarClass personalised service. For each meal, StarClass passengers will be able to select from three meal choices, one of which will be vegetarian. The number of meal services will differ depending on the length of your flight. Beverages will include water, juices, soft drinks, tea, coffee and a range of alcoholic drinks.

Passengers are also given an amenity kit, blanket and pillow as well as entertainment options which include audio channels and a personal video-on-demand unit featuring a range of new release movies, TV shows, music videos and kids' programmes.

At the airport

To add to the airport experience StarClass passengers have priority check-in and a checked baggage allowance of 30kg, in addition to their carry-on luggage allowance. After check-in, StarClass passengers have access to the Qantas Club Lounge in Australia and at destination ports where available while waiting for their priority boarding.

As The_Big_M says, this is not business class; it's more like premium economy than business. The only significant extras that you get with StarClass that you wouldn't get with Qantas premium economy appear to be 10 kg extra baggage and lounge access on departure.

Yes, we understand StarClass is an upgraded economy, and it's acceptable to us. I researched seating info on seatguru, I priced a number of other airlines' business class, and this was a good choice for us: not double the price, but a few extra comfort amenities. The lounge access, extra luggage weight, and saving a little on the difference in price between JetStar and Qantas is good for us.

I just returned from Au and NZ so will give my take on the long flight. The worst one was from JFK-SFO. I was determined not to sleep so I could sleep on the second leg. With no food being served besides the box lunch we could purchase, the time seemed to drag. On the leg from SFO-SYD, we ate dinner, then I took a sleeping pill prescribed by my Dr to help me through the flight. I slept like a baby, woke up when breakfast was served and landed shortly afterward, rested and ready to spend the day enjoying Sydney. On the wasy back once again I took a sleeping pill, slept until we arrived at LAX, then on the second leg I read and napped since the movies were out of commission. Once again that leg seemed like the longest. I wouldn't let a long flight stop me from seeing a wonderful part of the world. But I also wouldn't do it without a sleeping pill!

The worst one was from JFK-SFO. I was determined not to sleep so I could sleep on the second leg. With no food being served besides the box lunch we could purchase, the time seemed to drag.
A pity that you missed out on the best possible way to travel from JFK to the West Coast: for those who qualify, there is no better way than to fly on the Qantas flight between JFK and LAX. It really shows how it ought to be done.

Could anyone who has personally experienced business class on air new zealand from L.A. to Auckland please post your impressions.

It's too early for me to book, so I am just looking at options.

I see a price of $5400 U.S. for business seats. Is this a reasonable price? Do they ever put business seats on sale for this flight?

thanks

We just came back on Air New Zealand on Friday. Our first time to Australia and New Zealand and our first time on Air New Zealand. Wow, best airline experience we have had so far. We chose premium economy and a seat upstairs on the plane. From the moment you step on they treat you like royalty. We were greeted with our choice of champagne or juice. Sat in comfy seats - had big bins next to the window seat to put everything in so anything I needed from my purse or carryon fit right there. Blankets and pillow as well as an amentity kit too. The only thing we did not have that Business class had was a seat that folded down into a bed. Didn't notice it that much , tho. It made the 12 hour trip go by so fast. The entertainment was great - watched three movies I have been wanting to see. Those 12 hours went by much quicker than the 6 hours we spent on Southwest to get home from SFO! New Zealand and Australia are so worth the flight!!! Do it!

Hi,

Some of the most reasonable fares can be found on Air Pacific (Fiji's nat'l airline) whose fares are generally the cheapest (PRO)

(CON) The aircraft are older Singapore Airlines 747-400s, you have a 3-4 hr layover in Nadi, Fiji, and the entertainment system is not "touch screen", rather control by umbilical cord to your seat...which makes it a pain in the "keester" if anyone has to go to the loo. Otherwise service , even in economy, is terrific with champagne and orange juice for breakfast and complimentary drinks inflight.

(CON) The old "bum" gets a tad numb after 6-7 hrs so at least on a 747 you can get up and stroll around for a spell.

Hope this helps, and...

Ciao for now!!!

• 2 weeks later...
What are posters thoughts on long flights?

(To stay on topic, I am assuming you are flying to join/return, from a cruise.)

Weve done both and have found that sometimes the straight through flight is more relaxing than taking a stopover.

has anyone any tips on flying from the UK to Sydney, we are on the Rhapsody next Jan and were hoping to fly Manchester to Singapore and stay there for a couple of nights to break the journey ( direct approx 23 hrs)as we are travelling with a 10 year old. My main concern is that we are not too worn out with travelling to enjoy the start of the cruise. The longest flight we have done is 10 hrs( plus 5 hrs on the tarmac at Gatwick due to technical difficulties with only a digestive biscuit and cup of orange as compensation! and this was before we became parents!!) We are wanting to come home without a stopover we will:) worry about that at the end of our holiday!

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Jo

has anyone any tips on flying from the UK to Sydney
It's the same as with any other long-haul flights. You're in effect only flying Manchester to Singapore, and then later flying Singapore to Sydney. Get lots of sleep - it's one of the things you can try to control.

has anyone any tips on flying from the UK to Sydney, were hoping to fly Manchester to Singapore and stay there for a couple of nights to break the journey Any advice would be appreciatedThanksJo

If you have not been there before, a stopover in either Singapore,or Hong Kong, would be ideal.

There are lots of things to do and see in each city.

Kia Ora David,

Good points made, as out of the UK, Cathay and Singapore offer excellent rates and superb inflight service.

If you are travelling with a youngster, a break makes the trip a tad more exciting, more to see and less cumbersome PLUS the young one gets an extended geography lesson for school while mum shops away in Hong Kong or Singapore.

Dad...well, he just worries about paying off the credit card when he gets home.

Ciao for now!!!

Could anyone who has personally experienced business class on air new zealand from L.A. to Auckland please post your impressions.

It's too early for me to book, so I am just looking at options.

I see a price of $5400 U.S. for business seats. Is this a reasonable price? Do they ever put business seats on sale for this flight?

thanks

I haven't flown business class with Air NZ but I have with Qantas and I think the airlines are on a par with each other. $5400 is a good price. Qantas had a 2 for 1 business class offer the other day and they are flying kids under 12 free. They're obvioulsy feeling the pinch

I haven't flown business class with Air NZ but I have with Qantas and I think the airlines are on a par with each other. $5400 is a good price. Qantas had a 2 for 1 business class offer the other day and they are flying kids under 12 free. They're obvioulsy feeling the pinch

Thanks,

If you happen to notice another 2 for 1 or sale would you post?

I have the email subscriptions and alerts but am not getting anything from Qantas.

I still have lots of time to watch, as the flight would be for the month of Feb. 2010.

dog

has anyone any tips on flying from the UK to Sydney, we are on the Rhapsody next Jan and were hoping to fly Manchester to Singapore and stay there for a couple of nights to break the journey ( direct approx 23 hrs)as we are travelling with a 10 year old. My main concern is that we are not too worn out with travelling to enjoy the start of the cruise. The longest flight we have done is 10 hrs( plus 5 hrs on the tarmac at Gatwick due to technical difficulties with only a digestive biscuit and cup of orange as compensation! and this was before we became parents!!) We are wanting to come home without a stopover we will:) worry about that at the end of our holiday!

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Jo

Over the years we have taken many flights to Europe and we find the best way is to fly straight there without a stopover but on the way back to get our body time adjusted we always have a stopover in Singapore or Hong Kong.

It is much easier flying west than it is flying east. Your body adjusts much easier to the time differences so I would suggest on your way out here to have a 2 day stopover in Singapore - longer if you can manage it - and on the way back to the U.K. fly direct without a stopover. If you fly with Singapore airlines, you can book on the daylight flight from Singapore to Melbourne or Sydney which is great as you only have a 2 hour difference - 3 hours in summer - and therefore your body clock is just about adjusted.

It is never easy taking long flights but as Aussies we know that is the only way we can see the world. We just grin and try and enjoy it. We are also very lucky that are able to take these long flights and keep travelling.

Jennie

You could also try Air Pacific, which flies from Hawaii to Australia via Fiji, and to the West Coast USA.

As well as Air Tahiti Nui out of LAX. I believe they fly to SYD and AKL via PPT. It is pretty nice service and they allow stop overs to break up the trip. It is easy to get to Moorea from Tahiti via boat or a 5-10 minute flight.

I thought of one another way to Oz where the longest flight is likely no more than 6-7 hours - Continental going LAX - HNL - Guam - Cairns. Maybe not so practical, but it keeps the flight segments short and a trip to Guam is a bit unique for most residents from the US mainland. :)

Thanks,

If you happen to notice another 2 for 1 or sale would you post?

I have the email subscriptions and alerts but am not getting anything from Qantas.

I still have lots of time to watch, as the flight would be for the month of Feb. 2010.

dog

I was reading your posts and thought I would send you some figures.

Not quite as good as you might have hoped.

They are Qantas Business 2 for 1 Travel March to August 2009

London to Australia.

1st Passenger A$11,313 plus taxes and surcharges

2nd " " 625

TOTAL A$11,938

Los Angeles/Australia.

1st Passenger A$14,633 plus taxes

2nd Passenger 428

TOTAL A$15,061

Definitely much cheaper than normal rates, worthwhile checking out some of the Asian airlines. eg Malaysian

Hope this helps and best wishes :)

I'm happy to offer any new offers that come up. As happycruiser pointed out they were still very expensive but if you've got the money its a good deal.

I've got a return economy fare from Sydney to San Franscisco for AU$1800 each so I wasn't going to spend another $7000 for the 2 for 1 offer.

Over the years we have taken many flights to Europe and we find the best way is to fly straight there without a stopover but on the way back to get our body time adjusted we always have a stopover in Singapore or Hong Kong.

It is much easier flying west than it is flying east. Your body adjusts much easier to the time differences so I would suggest on your way out here to have a 2 day stopover in Singapore - longer if you can manage it - and on the way back to the U.K. fly direct without a stopover. If you fly with Singapore airlines, you can book on the daylight flight from Singapore to Melbourne or Sydney which is great as you only have a 2 hour difference - 3 hours in summer - and therefore your body clock is just about adjusted.

It is never easy taking long flights but as Aussies we know that is the only way we can see the world. We just grin and try and enjoy it. We are also very lucky that are able to take these long flights and keep travelling.

Jennie

thanks Jennie, I think thats what we are going to do, we will probably have 2 or 3 nights if possible in Singapore.

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Jo:)

Thank you to those who have made some recommendations.

We are considering Air New Zealand, United, Qantas & Air Tahiti Nui from L.A. in business class. One stopover for 2 days each way would be fine.

I have seen Business class fares for Air New Zealand & United for under $5000 plus taxes per person for Jan.'10.

We have lots of time to keep watching.

Thanks again.

dog

I thought of one another way to Oz where the longest flight is likely no more than 6-7 hours - Continental going LAX - HNL - Guam - Cairns. Maybe not so practical, but it keeps the flight segments short and a trip to Guam is a bit unique for most residents from the US mainland. :)

We met an American couple visiting NQ who spoke highly of this routing to Cairns with Continental.

Archived