Long Flight to Australia

cruiseonly

V Australia now flies from LAX to Sydney. Later flights will include LAX to Brisbane and LAX TO Melbourne. Have seen some good specials now that there is more competition on the Pacific route.

Noticed Qantas's 2 for 1 specials were still more expensive from Brisbane to LAX, than Brisbane to London, though!

London Business return from BrisbanePerson 1: from $11,319 (airfare plus surcharges and taxes) Person 2: from $631 (surcharges and taxes) Total for two people = from $11,950*Los Angeles Business return from BrisbanePerson 1: from $14,639 (airfare plus surcharges and taxes) Person 2: from $434 (surcharges and taxes) Total for two people = from $15,073*

Have been planning a cruise to Australia, but have always cancelled due to the long flight.

Can any one comment on the flight.

I think a stop over in Las Angelos, would be okay, and then after that I think it is still a 11 hour flight.

Tried to find one from Hawaii, but I think there is no direct flight to Australia from Hawaii.

If I am going to do Australia, I think, I have to do it before I get older.

Comments would be appreciated.

I was also very concerned about the long flight. It is not as bad as it sounds. A couple things I would recommend:

Get an aisle seat

Pack a couple snacks

Once on the flight directly to Australia, set your watch to Australia time

Take a couple Tylenol PM

I flew Qantas. They have a schedule that makes it much easier to sleep. They feed you early in the flight and request everyone to shut window shades. The flight is quiet and it's easier to sleep with little disruption up and down the aisles. Qantas also has TV/music/ movies in back of every seat.

• 2 months later...

Don't worry about the flight, just keep reminding yourself, the moment you step out your front door and lock up, your on a Holiday until you return. Just make every part of the journey the most memorable part and the time will fly by. We did the Princess Tahitian, a few years back. We flew from Phila, PA to LAX to Papette. The kicker was we did it with 3 children 7, 5, & 1..we had such a blast we decided lets do it again, this time to Australia.

Hank

We have done the LA/Sydney and vice versa trip on Princess three times, we love the long cruises. DH is still working full time but we plan our holidays accordingly.

That might be another alternative for you if you can spare the time. If you look on the Princess site you will see these listed. Generally sail from Australia March/April and from LA to Australia in September. Just a thought but it does mean just one longish flight. It may not work out but a consideration if you could possibly manage it.

Best wishes :)

I'm working on finding an Australia cruise that fits our "wants". The one-way from Los Angeles sounds great but if we are going to fly

one way regardless we'd really like to have a cruise that includes Australia and New Zealand. Its a really long way to go to not see as much as possible.

Does anyone know if this is possible without costing a "small fortune"? If so, which cruise line? And, would it require a B-T-B?

We are retired, so length of trip is less of a problem.

Right now, I'm really looking at RCCL, Splendor of the Seas for their itinerary. Will check out Princess again. Which ship did you sail?

Bon Voyage to all!

Next cruise: Constellation 14 days Sept, Canada/New England

Infinite BTB 28 days Oct, Ft Lauderdale/San Diego/ Ft Lauderdale.

Checking out the air fares and discovered the following:

Example: I can book a roundtrip passage from Los Angeles to Sydney for two people, CHEAPER, than I can book a one-way trip for each of us. The cost is the same as a one-way for ONE person.

We would pay the round trip price, but only use one leg (Los Angeles to Sydney, or Sydney to Los Angeles. Would save about $1000.00

for economy class.

We did the same thing when we booked a one-way London, England

flight. Still have the "return" leg of that trip ticket which we might

be able to use one day.

Just thought I would share.

Bon Voyage to all!

Using the outbound portion of a RT ticket is called "throwaway ticketing". It's a good strategy with a few caveats:

- You must use the outbound portion and throw away the return. The opposite does not work, if you are no-show for the outbound portion the entire itenerary will be cancelled. If the return leg is what is needed, simply reverse the ticket. For example if you want to fly SYD-LAX, then a RT from SYD must be purchased instead of from LAX.

- Airlines technically can retroactively demand the full OW fare be paid if you're caught. Also they can revoke your FF account. This is in the Contract of Carriage. They rarely go after one-time instances; however they have gone after serial users of this practice.

- Airlines have also cracked down on TA's who permit this, so book directly online if you intent to do a throwaway.

- The throwaway portion is good for a year past the original return date, and there's a change fee of $150 or so to change the date of travel. It MUST be used on the same route and airline for the orginal passenger. It is not a credit for future use on a completely different itenerary. Book the return as far in the future as possible. Then you have up to a year past that date to fly the return route once travel is on date certain.

I'm working on finding an Australia cruise that fits our "wants". The one-way from Los Angeles sounds great but if we are going to fly

one way regardless we'd really like to have a cruise that includes Australia and New Zealand. Its a really long way to go to not see as much as possible.

Does anyone know if this is possible without costing a "small fortune"? If so, which cruise line? And, would it require a B-T-B?

We are retired, so length of trip is less of a problem.

Right now, I'm really looking at RCCL, Splendor of the Seas for their itinerary. Will check out Princess again. Which ship did you sail?

Bon Voyage to all!

We are booked on RCCL's Rhapsody this October for a b2b which includes French Polynesia and then a circumnavigation of Australia. However, the next cruise after that is New Zealand. I suggest you look at the 10/17 and 11/3 sailings for the Rhapsody. I priced Princess while doing my research and selection, and found them to be much more expensive.

Both cruises (Aus and NZ) leave from Sydney, so you would get your air to/from there. We are flying JetStar home from Sydney, and splurged for their business class. It was about half the price of other airlines. Even a little more comfort is important to DH. JetStar flies in and out of Honolulu, so you would have to do a roundtrip there from your home airport. I found roundtrip from LAX for $335 pp, including all taxes. JetStar was $$675 pp. Keep an eye on them, because they have StarClass (business class) promotions every so often. I rebooked with them, and even with the cancellation fee and credit card fee, I saved us about $660 on our previous fare!!!

Using the outbound portion of a RT ticket is called "throwaway ticketing". It's a good strategy with a few caveats:

- You must use the outbound portion and throw away the return. The opposite does not work, if you are no-show for the outbound portion the entire itenerary will be cancelled. If the return leg is what is needed, simply reverse the ticket. For example if you want to fly SYD-LAX, then a RT from SYD must be purchased instead of from LAX.

- Airlines technically can retroactively demand the full OW fare be paid if you're caught. Also they can revoke your FF account. This is in the Contract of Carriage. They rarely go after one-time instances; however they have gone after serial users of this practice.

- Airlines have also cracked down on TA's who permit this, so book directly online if you intent to do a throwaway.

- The throwaway portion is good for a year past the original return date, and there's a change fee of $150 or so to change the date of travel. It MUST be used on the same route and airline for the orginal passenger. It is not a credit for future use on a completely different itenerary. Book the return as far in the future as possible. Then you have up to a year past that date to fly the return route once travel is on date certain.

Amazing, I've learned something else new today! Wish I had this information when I booked the London "throw-away". I didn't know

about booking the "return" as far out as possible to extend the 12 month time line from the "return date".

This is good information, and I WILL use it when it is applicable.

THANKS! for the really good information.

Bon Voyage to all!

Borncruiser- My comments apply for most fares, but not always. Best bet is to call the airline pretending you want to change the return date. They will let you know what fees and time limits apply to your specific situation.

Can I suggest that you consider the weather when you do your trip.

If you are flexible with your dates I would suggest cruising downunder February/March. The school holidays are over, also the weather is generally warmer and more stable especially in New Zealand. We would not consider cruising to New Zealand any earlier than mid to late January. Their summers are traditionally later than in Australia.

The South Island is so lovely at any time but especially so when the sun is shining.

Have fun researching your trip,

Best wishes. :)

Thanks kenish and happycruiser3,

I can't thank you enough for your thoughtful information. All will

be taken into consideration in the planning of this trip.

Now that we are retired, this is a priority for us.

Bon Voyage to all!

We are just back from our B2B on the Rhapsody, Sydney to Vancouver. We flew to Sydney on United through LAX, 14.5 hours was not bad at all. I was expecting the worst but United is not bad at all!! Pretty good service. They were the cheapest I could find and we purchased the E+.

The only thing that annoyed me was the passengers behind us, they were Japaneese and they talked (they don't know how to whisper) the whole flight!! Even though its an overnight flight with the lights out. I tried giving them dirty looks, shhhing them etc but nothing worked.

Don't laugh, but my method for getting through long flights is to take Xanex, which puts me out like a light, wearing off in about five hours with no drowsy after effects. (Tylenol PM, on the other hand, seems to linger far longer in my system, which I don't like).

Originally I got Xanex from my Dr. because I had developed a terrible fear of flying that was annoying me to no end because I love traveling so very much. I'm about 95% over my anxiety (rough turbulence still makes me feel immediately anxious) but have found that Xanex is far superior to Ambien or Tylenol PM for purposes of simply sleeping on a plane.

Not for everyone, I know, but it has taken me around the world and back and I'm not sure I could get through long flights without it.

Don't laugh, but my method for getting through long flights is to take Xanex, which puts me out like a light, wearing off in about five hours with no drowsy after effects. (Tylenol PM, on the other hand, seems to linger far longer in my system, which I don't like).

Originally I got Xanex from my Dr. because I had developed a terrible fear of flying that was annoying me to no end because I love traveling so very much. I'm about 95% over my anxiety (rough turbulence still makes me feel immediately anxious) but have found that Xanex is far superior to Ambien or Tylenol PM for purposes of simply sleeping on a plane.

Not for everyone, I know, but it has taken me around the world and back and I'm not sure I could get through long flights without it.

Thanks for the reminder. I have a prescription that I got a year ago, which is good until next February, but only took it for a week. I wanted to get something for our long haul / red-eye flights (we have two on our next cruise), and now I already have it. Thanks again!!

We are booked on Quantas/Delta/American Airlines (booked separately from West Palm Beach to Los Angeles) for our November cruise to AustraliaNew Zealand as follows:

PBI (West Palm Beach, FL) to LAX - $218.00 per person round trip.

7 hr. layover.

LAX - SYD - $820 per person round trip.

Of course this is economy. Total around $1750.00 total for both of us for air fare. Can't afford first class or business class. Were lucky we are even getting to Australia at all.

Then we pick up Sun Princes for our 13 day cruise r/t Sydney.

Coming in 3 days early to see Sydney.

Wish we could afford first class or business but just the airfare would be more than 4 of us doing this trip. We book inside cabin and enjoy the whole thing.

Just thought I wuld share.

Like my Mom says, travel when you can and can afford it. Don't wait to retire because like others have stated you never know what is around the corner. Like I tell my husband don't be afraid to fly otherwise you will never see the world. i plan on traveling as long as we can afford to do it and are in good health.

Cheers.:p

Thanks,

If you happen to notice another 2 for 1 or sale would you post?

I have the email subscriptions and alerts but am not getting anything from Qantas.

I still have lots of time to watch, as the flight would be for the month of Feb. 2010.

dog

I think you will find that most sales on Qantas and Air NZ are for the months that are not as popular for flying. If you are flying in Dec., Jan. or Feb. which are the best summer months you will find few sales. My suggestion is to quickly check out Delta. They start flying LAX to SYD on July first. I was able to book my one way business fare for the end of January by purchasing economy and upgrading but even their current regular round trip business fare is much less than Qantas or Air NZ. Delta is using 777-300 long range jets with true lie flat seats in business. The configuration is identical to Air NZ - a sort of herringbone design. The service might not quite match Air NZ but the savings in business is substantial and the business seat is practically the same design. I am flying onwards to Singapore and southeast Asia so I only booked one way but the round trip fare is equally good. Check Delta's website but hurry. I booked my fare three weeks ago. I don't know if the fares have increased yet but I think I just happened to hit a pre-inaugural special fare .

We are just back from our B2B on the Rhapsody, Sydney to Vancouver. We flew to Sydney on United through LAX, 14.5 hours was not bad at all. I was expecting the worst but United is not bad at all!! Pretty good service. They were the cheapest I could find and we purchased the E+.

I would disagree. I just came back from Au on United and the service was awful. Poor food, they charged for alcohol, no individual screens for movies so I was stuck with watching what they showed, and very narrow aisles.

The service I got on a 1 1/2 hour internal flight on Quantas was better than the 12 hour flight on United.

If I can avoid United on future international flights, I will.

DON

I think you will find that most sales on Qantas and Air NZ are for the months that are not as popular for flying. If you are flying in Dec., Jan. or Feb. which are the best summer months you will find few sales. My suggestion is to quickly check out Delta. They start flying LAX to SYD on July first. I was able to book my one way business fare for the end of January by purchasing economy and upgrading but even their current regular round trip business fare is much less than Qantas or Air NZ. Delta is using 777-300 long range jets with true lie flat seats in business. The configuration is identical to Air NZ - a sort of herringbone design. The service might not quite match Air NZ but the savings in business is substantial and the business seat is practically the same design. I am flying onwards to Singapore and southeast Asia so I only booked one way but the round trip fare is equally good. Check Delta's website but hurry. I booked my fare three weeks ago. I don't know if the fares have increased yet but I think I just happened to hit a pre-inaugural special fare .

Slight correction. Delta uses 777-200LR aircraft not 777-300.

The only thing that annoyed me was the passengers behind us, they were Japaneese and they talked (they don't know how to whisper) the whole flight!! Even though its an overnight flight with the lights out. I tried giving them dirty looks, shhhing them etc but nothing worked.

I highly recommend buying a pair of noise cancelling headphones. I take mine on all flights, no matter where. The noise disappears, and your blood pressure goes down, too! :D

We own Bose Quiet Comfort headsets (the over-the-ear) models and they are worth their price ten times over! They really knock down the ambient noise and diminish talking and sound of crying babies. Plus, the audio is excellent when watching a movie or listening to an iPod. We don't travel on long flights without them.

If one books Premium Economy on Qantas, they include noise cancelling headsets in thier amenties package.

We have a very short flight from Sydney to San Francisco. We leave Sydney at 2pm and arrive in SF at 10.15am on the same day! So we get there before we leave :p

Its actually a 13 hour flight

Alright, I read through a lot of this thread and have a question about using mile points. We have amassed a nice sum of Delta Sky Miles and wanted to use them to fly to Sydney for a New Zealand cruise (from Atlanta). We would not be able to do this trip until January 2011 (we have our vacations planned out up to then). Is it hard to book a trip with the miles if we do it when they first become available? This would be about 10-11 months in advance. I read a few times in this thread that it is hard to use them for Australia flights. I am just wondering if it is possible if we plan way ahead of time.

Is it hard to book a trip with the miles if we do it when they first become available? This would be about 10-11 months in advance.

That's the best time to do it, and gives you the best chances.

It's difficult as many are not in a position to do so so early, but if you can it is less likely to be an issue.

Alright, I read through a lot of this thread and have a question about using mile points. We have amassed a nice sum of Delta Sky Miles and wanted to use them to fly to Sydney for a New Zealand cruise (from Atlanta). We would not be able to do this trip until January 2011 (we have our vacations planned out up to then). Is it hard to book a trip with the miles if we do it when they first become available? This would be about 10-11 months in advance. I read a few times in this thread that it is hard to use them for Australia flights. I am just wondering if it is possible if we plan way ahead of time.

I used Delta FF miles to fly business class from Atlanta to Rio and back from Buenos Airesin March 2008. I called Delta at midnight on the first day that FF seats became available which was about 330 days before the departure date. I was able to get the two business class seats that were allotted to those flights for the dates I wanted to travel. At that time the number of miles I had to spend was 90,000 per ticket. When I checked about a week later the same flights would have required me to spend 250,000 miles per ticket! Also the price of business class on full purchase increased about fourfold. I would definitely try to use the "plan ahead" system if you want any chance for using FF miles in business class.

Three weeks ago I was able to book business class on Delta's new LAX to SYD route which begins flying on July 1. I am only flying one way and I was able to upgrade from an M class economy for only 25,000 miles per ticket. At that time the one-way cost was about $3400. Now the cost is about $5400 and the super upgrade with mileage deal is no longer availabe using low FF miles. This is another case of getting in at the beginning. I doubt that the Delta Sydney flights will have this same deal again since it was a pre-inaugural special. Jan. & Feb. are the most difficult months to find any bus. seats available with FF miles but it is worth a try if you can plan that far ahead. If you go to the Delta site and request purchasing bus. class seats with mileage for the same dates in 2010 rather than 2011 you will get an idea about how good your chances will be for the following year.

Thanks for all your input. I did check on the Jan 2010 flights and they were a very reasonable amount of miles. We have around 350,000 miles right now. We plan on using a little bit of them to go R/T to Seattle for our Alaska cruise next year. I will try to jump on it as soon as they come up.

Archived