A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Thanks Ruth, I am going to keep an eye on the prices. If you did the Med cruises - do you have any recommendations as to port tours? I have read a lot about Romelimo. We are planning on five days before the cruise in Rome. Any recommendations on hotels there?

You're welcome.

I've done a couple of Med cruises. I don't know your ports, interests, or if there's any limitations on what you can do, so I really can't make any recommendations.

It's been a long time since I stayed in Rome. I was at the Bernini Bristol Hotel, very near the Spanish Steps. I had a personal tragedy while I was there, and they were very good to me.

Not much help, was I!

Check out the Ports of Call boards for info. And continue on the HAL board, too, as there's usually some additional info.

I like the idea that HAL is now offering Collector's cruises -- instead of 2 bookings -- now you have just one -- and you do save a little money that way.

Exactly. They've been around a couple years and it went very smoothly in March between our Eastern and Western Caribbean cruises on Nieuw Amsterdam.

Dutch, Is it true that if the Massadam has to dock in Quebec and bus passangers to Montreal at 5:00AM , on a three hour ride, that no refreshments are offered? Thanks

I have not heard anything about the specifics. I know breakfast hours have been modified in the Lido to accommodate this transfer. As for the bus, I'm not sure.

Dutch, Is it true that if the Massadam has to dock in Quebec and bus passangers to Montreal at 5:00AM , on a three hour ride, that no refreshments are offered? Thanks

I have not heard anything about the specifics. I know breakfast hours have been modified in the Lido to accommodate this transfer. As for the bus, I'm not sure.

I was on the 5/14-5/21 cruise. The first wave of self-embarkcation people had to be ready to disembark at 4:15am. However, the bus did not leave until 5:00am. The Lido did not open until 4:00am, so the early wave really did not have time for breakfast. No one seemed to understand that it takes more than 15 minutes to get in line, eat and go from the 11th deck aft to the 5th deck forward.

My husband and I will be sailing November 13 on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I was wondering if Captain Jonathan Mercer is still the captain. He is absolutely wonderful. Thanks much for the info you provide. :)

While others on here connected with the company may, I don't personally feel it's a good idea to put out schedules that say someone will be somewhere from X date to Y date... it can always change...

However when I looked at the list today it definitely appears that at this time Captain Mercer will be on Nieuw Amsterdam during your sailing. Enjoy, he's a really amazing guy!

Hi DBA,

I'm hoping I can find out the best department to talk to get a straight, accurate answer. The Prinsendam sailing of Nov7/11 has always shown that she will dock in Seville on Nov. 13th and overnight there. Our roll call had understood she was sailing up the river to dock there:D

It still shows this if you are looking at booking, however, when i go to look at my itinerary and shore excursions, it is now showing Cadiz (Seville) which means it will dock in Cadiz.????:confused:

I don't know if it is a shore excursion/itinerary error or if the itinerary on the main page hasn't been changed? (of course, if you have the answer that is great too;)). Our roll call is confused. Not sure what to book and what not to. Thanks so much and sorry for the long post.

Why did HAL stop keeping a ship in the Caribbean in the summer and is there any chance that this would come back? The last HAL ship to say 12 months a year was the Zuiderdam during her first two years in service. They would do Eastern one week and Western the other week. I really enjoyed it. The ship was oversold when I was there. I would love to see them keep the Nieuw Amsterdam this side of the pond for twelve months. Is there any chance this could happen? Thanks for your response.

While others on here connected with the company may, I don't personally feel it's a good idea to put out schedules that say someone will be somewhere from X date to Y date... it can always change...

However when I looked at the list today it definitely appears that at this time Captain Mercer will be on Nieuw Amsterdam during your sailing. Enjoy, he's a really amazing guy!

Thank you, Dutch for this information. I do understand your position. One last question, if I were to write to Cpt. Mercer and sent the letter to HAL's headquarters in Seattle, would he get it?

Hello,

I was on the Westerdam in November of 2009 on a BTB out of Ft. Lauderdale. There was an absolutely wonderful female cocktail waitress by the name of Elma. She made us little chairs out of the wire around the champagne bottles. She was around 40 yrs old according to her and was from the Phillipines. Any way I can find out if she is still with HAL, and if she is what ship she is now on. We will be going on HAL on either the Eurodam or Zuiderdam the end of Oct 2011 or beginning of Nov 2011. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Even if you could possibly direct me to another source.

William Hotze

Hi DBA,

I'm hoping I can find out the best department to talk to get a straight, accurate answer. The Prinsendam sailing of Nov7/11 has always shown that she will dock in Seville on Nov. 13th and overnight there. Our roll call had understood she was sailing up the river to dock there:D

It still shows this if you are looking at booking, however, when i go to look at my itinerary and shore excursions, it is now showing Cadiz (Seville) which means it will dock in Cadiz.????:confused:

I don't know if it is a shore excursion/itinerary error or if the itinerary on the main page hasn't been changed? (of course, if you have the answer that is great too;)). Our roll call is confused. Not sure what to book and what not to. Thanks so much and sorry for the long post.

Sorry DBA - don't worry about the question. apparently some of our roll call members have now received emails advising that it is Cadiz not Seville. I'm just hoping that not too many people cancel as I know it was a main reason for booking for some.

We don't know why it was changed. HAL advised those who did receive an email that it was to enhance our cruise experience. :confused:

Sorry I posted and asked. apologies.

I don't know if it is a shore excursion/itinerary error or if the itinerary on the main page hasn't been changed?

Sorry DBA - don't worry about the question. apparently some of our roll call members have now received emails advising that it is Cadiz not Seville.

Isn't this just a case of port vs major attraction like Livorno(Florence/Pisa), Piraeus(Athens), Katakolon(Olympia), Civitivecchia(Rome), La Goulette(Tunis), Dover(London), etc? What I'm saying is, was the ship ever really scheduled to sail to Seville in the first place, rather than having an itinerary change?

Isn't this just a case of port vs major attraction like Livorno(Florence/Pisa), Piraeus(Athens), Katakolon(Olympia), Civitivecchia(Rome), La Goulette(Tunis), Dover(London), etc? What I'm saying is, was the ship ever really scheduled to sail to Seville in the first place, rather than having an itinerary change?

Yes catl331 - the ship WAS scheduled to dock right in Seville - to go up the river. Checked with HAL and on the Seville port website and she was showing scheduled to be at Seville Port. Because of her size, she was able to go up the river. One of the reasons we booked the cruise.

I realize most stops for Seville are Cadiz, but this was not the case this time (otherwise people wouldn't have gotten itinerary change notices;)).

Unfortunately, it now is :(

• 2 weeks later...
Why did HAL stop keeping a ship in the Caribbean in the summer and is there any chance that this would come back? The last HAL ship to say 12 months a year was the Zuiderdam during her first two years in service. They would do Eastern one week and Western the other week. I really enjoyed it. The ship was oversold when I was there. I would love to see them keep the Nieuw Amsterdam this side of the pond for twelve months. Is there any chance this could happen? Thanks for your response.

It's a combination of hurricane season in the summer and the popularity of Alaska and Europe.

Is it possible that there may be a year round deployment to the Caribbean someday? Of course as anything is possible. Haven't heard anything about it though. And right now I'd prefer to see Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska so I can visit her every weekend... ;)

Thank you, Dutch for this information. I do understand your position. One last question, if I were to write to Cpt. Mercer and sent the letter to HAL's headquarters in Seattle, would he get it?

If you send it to his attention, care of the Seagoing HR department, they can make sure something gets to him.

Hello,

I was on the Westerdam in November of 2009 on a BTB out of Ft. Lauderdale. There was an absolutely wonderful female cocktail waitress by the name of Elma. She made us little chairs out of the wire around the champagne bottles. She was around 40 yrs old according to her and was from the Phillipines. Any way I can find out if she is still with HAL, and if she is what ship she is now on. We will be going on HAL on either the Eurodam or Zuiderdam the end of Oct 2011 or beginning of Nov 2011. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Even if you could possibly direct me to another source.

William Hotze

Send your inquiry to the Guest Relations department and they can work with Seagoing HR to determine if Elma still works onboard as well as what the current contracts are if she does.

Does HAL get the transfer information about what flight we are using to arrive at Heathrow from our online check-in pre-cruise information? In other words, if we put online information that we will arrive on flight --- at Heathrow on Aug.--- at 7:45 a.m., is that the information the HAL transfer people will be receiving?

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Originally Posted by R & T viewpost.gif

We sailed on the Maasdam from Fort Lauderdale "to Montreal" April 24- May 7. We were bused from Quebec to Montreal due to the unusually high level of the St. Lawrence River. The buses left very early in the morning, so that passengers could make their original plane and train connections. DH and I were planning to stay in Montreal for a few days, but the original schedule (MINUS 3.5 hours) was used. There was no food or drink on the bus, but there was a bathroom.

Does HAL get the transfer information about what flight we are using to arrive at Heathrow from our online check-in pre-cruise information? In other words, if we put online information that we will arrive on flight --- at Heathrow on Aug.--- at 7:45 a.m., is that the information the HAL transfer people will be receiving?

That info should be relayed to the local shore ops team, that is correct

DBA, thank you for staying accessible for answering all of our questions!

I also have a captain question. I will be on Eurodam the end of August on her transatlantic to NY. Do you know who the Capt will be? I would also like to know who the concierges will be, but I am guessing that could still be in work.

Archived