how to plan interior land touring?

tranceFusion

We would like do about a week of land touring prior to a cruise.

It seems that many people suggest a southbound cruise to Vancouver for the scenery, so I am assuming we would fly into Anchorage.

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some good sample itineraries or references for planning out the weeklong land portion.

Thanks!

A week is a very good amount of time to see parts of the state. Just keep in mind that the distances are long, so you want to leave plenty of time of travel and to enjoy your stops. The other challenge is to create a plan that avoids a lot of double tracking (some may be inevitable).

You would fly into ANC or Fairbanks. I prefer ANC because for me, it's more central and there are better flight options.

There are 2 big stops you could start with - Denali NP and the Kenai Peninsula (focusing on Seward). Not sure when you are going, but let's assume it's after the first week in June when Denali will be fully open.

The best part IMO about highlighting these 2 places is that you can get to them either rental car or train. The train is slower and gives you less flexibility, but is a very viable option and can be a great way to travel.

Below is a basic sample itinerary; it still has some gaps but you'll get the idea. There are many variations. You could be more aggressive and try to pack more in; just depends on you and what you like.

Day 1: Fly to ANC. Overnight in ANC.

Day 2: Rent car. Drive up to Denali. Make a few side trips along the way (Hatcher Pass, Talkeetna, others). Drive to Savage River in Denali in evening to look for wildlife. Overnight in Denali.

Day 3: Take Shuttle bus into Denali to Eielsen Visitors Center. Overnight in Denali.

Day 4: Head to Seward. Driving day. See Turnagain Arm. Overnight in ANC, Girdwood or Seward (depends on how far you want to drive).

Day 5: Seward. Do Kenai Fjords boat trip.

Day 6: Seward. Do Exit Glacier and other local attractions.

Day 7: Driving Day. Return car to ANC. Transfer to cruise (Seward or Whittier).

Thanks. It seems like Denali NP and Kenai Ford are the two big places I want to focus the trip around?

If I am going to Kenai Ford, should I plan to cruise out of Seward (and return the car there)? Or is it not that far back to anchorage?

Thanks. It seems like Denali NP and Kenai Ford are the two big places I want to focus the trip around?

They are both prime attractions and great places to see, especially as a 1st time visitor. But there are other options - just depends on your interests. You really want to probably do more research before settling on anything. I'd read posts on here and grab a recent Fodors / Frommers to get more background.

If I am going to Kenai Ford, should I plan to cruise out of Seward (and return the car there)? Or is it not that far back to anchorage?

I would select your cruise somewhat independently of your land tour. There are lots of options (dates, itineraries, costs); find what works best for you, and then try to glue the land tour and cruise together. I prefer Seward, so if you can make that work, great. But not all cruise lines sail here.

A one-way car rental from ANC to Seward is convenient, but very expensive (and only available through Hertz). It's about 130 miles and 4 hours or so between ANC and Seward. While it involves doubling back, you probably want to return the car in ANC and then take the train or a cruise ship xfr to board your ship; you will likely save money. But often, time is more valuable than money, so you may choose to go with the one way rental.

Planning for Alaska is complicated and personal. You'll have to dig in and do some research to see what works for you. There are lot of great people here who can help when you have questions.

It seems that many people suggest a southbound cruise to Vancouver for the scenery, so I am assuming we would fly into Anchorage.

One other thing - I wouldn't get too hung up on the "SB is nicer" idea. That's a matter for personal preference; there's no right or wrong answer.

I would be open to looking at both options - cruise then land, or land then cruise. I prefer the latter (because I like to get my long flight out of the way first, and then end my vacation with the ease and convenience of the cruise), but consider both. You may find differences in price, convenience or something else that make a NB cruise more attractive.

Yes, it is a bit complicated, but planning is one of the fun parts of travel.

I suggest you spend an hour or two just reading further down in this forum. I know that if you look through the threads on just the first 5-7 pages of this forum, you'll see a bunch of topics about planning land tours -- and lots of answers, suggestions and comments. Read threads like "Please Post Your Alaska Driving Itinerary / Land Tour Plans" or do an advanced search for "itinerary"or "land tour" in this forum. That will help give you a pretty good feel for some of the things which are available. And then you'll certainly have additional, narrower questions for the many experts and veteran Alaska travelers here who can help you out.

It may seem a little daunting at first, but with a little time, you'll find -- as I have -- that you go from knowing very little to having very specific ideas about what you do and don't want to do, and how best to do the things you want. Along the way, your ideas may change. (For example, I started out convinced I wanted to go as far into Denali as we possibly could by taking the all-day Kantishna tour -- I figured further + longer = better -- but reading lots of comments here changed my mind to taking the shuttle as far as Wonder Lake instead.) And what make a good itinerary for one person would make an awful one for someone else. (For example, we enjoy long car drives for great scenery, and we've planned a day that entails about 300 miles of driving -- but that would drive some people crazy.)

-- Eric

I started out by looking at the land tours that cruise lines offered and seeing things I liked in different ones. From there I asked questions, researched and then designed my own independent tour that gave me what I wanted for less money and with more time spent in some areas.

As someone else mentions, time is important too. My flight from Barrow doesn't get me into Fairbanks until night and the train from Fairbanks is early in the morning, so if I wanted to do anything there, I needed to spend more than one night.

Same thing happens with Anchorage, late train in, early train out.

One suggestion for Seward (if your cruise leaves from there) is returning your car to Anchorage a day or two before your cruise and then taking the train down and spending an evening in Seward to take advantage of all there is to do without having to backtrack or pay the one way car fee.

We (me, wife, and 14 yo. grandson) are doing the RV trip this June. Here is our plan.

6/16 Arrive Anchorage, spend night

6/17 Pick up RV, drive to Homer, spend night

6/18 Hallo Bay Bear trip, spend night

6/19 Stream fishing with Silvertip Guide service, drive to Seward, spend night

6/20 Kenai Fjords tour, Spend night

6/21 Drive to Whittier, Prince William bay cruise, Drive toward Talkeetns, spend night

wherever

6/22 Talkeetna Flightseeing, drive to Denali, spend night

6/23 Shuttle to Eileson, spend night

6/24 Denali, spend night

6/25 Flex day, back to Talkeetna if 6/22 flightseeing gets cancelled, maybe Fairbanks,

spend night

6/26 Drive to Anchorage, spend night

6/27 Turn RV, fly home.

I've done lots of research and gotten lots of advice from this board. Now it just needs to get to be June.

• 2 weeks later...

We are definitely thinking about focusing the land portion of our trip around Seward and Denali.

We were wondering if spending time in Seward/Kenai since we will be along the coast for the duration of the cruise ship? In other words, would the time be better visiting interior locations since we will see so many coastal areas on the crusie?

We are definitely thinking about focusing the land portion of our trip around Seward and Denali.

We were wondering if spending time in Seward/Kenai since we will be along the coast for the duration of the cruise ship? In other words, would the time be better visiting interior locations since we will see so many coastal areas on the crusie?

Yes, you will travel along the coast on your cruise ship, but you will be seeing things from quite a distance. This is no comparison to visiting Seward, which IMHO, is a must-see. Not the town itself, but all the activities. The small boat trip to Kenai Fjords National Park is one of the premier activities in Alaska. There is also a short hike to Exit Glacier (you can hike right up to the glacier). There are also 2 different types of dog sledding. You can take Seavey's trip on a wheeled cart (on gravel), or if you are really adventurous and don't mind spending some bucks, you can go on the Godwin Glacier trip (we did this last summer and it was awesome). They take you up to Godwin Glacier in a helicopter and you take a "real" dog sled trip on snow. There is also the Sealife Center in town, which is definitely worth a few hours.

A good place to start to learn about Seward is: http://www.sewardak.org/

I am about to do this itinerary this June. This is my first trip to Alaska but I came up with this after asking lots of questions here a few months ago.

Alaska Cruise June 2009

6-Arrive late Saturday June 6th Anchorage

Pick up car at airport

Sat Anchorage Sheraton

7-Sunday drive to Denali

Sunday Monday at Denali McKinley Chalet Resort 2 nights

Shuttle Bus to Wonder Lake

9-Tuesday morning something in Denali? Early afternoon leave Denali for Talkeetna res. Talkeetna Road House Mt. McKinley summit flight Talkeetna Air Tour?

10-Wednesday return to Anchorage and drop off rental car

Wednesday Overnight Anchorage Sheraton

11-Thursday Train Anchorage/Seward 6:45 arrive 11:00 am

11:30 Reknown Kenai Fjords tour Booked

Thursday overnight in Seward Holiday Inn Express

12-Friday Seward do laundry early afternoon Exit Glacier or maybe Godwin Glacier Dog Sled? Late afternoon Board Cruise

I am about to do this itinerary this June. . . Friday Seward do laundry early afternoon Exit Glacier or maybe Godwin Glacier Dog Sled? Late afternoon Board Cruise

If you don't want to spend vacation time doing laundry, have your laundry done on the ship. HAL has a great deal on laundry by the bag ($20) or for the length of your cruise (about $40 per stateroom). It will come back the next day clean and nicely folded.

Is the Kenai Fjords 6-hour National Park tour worth going to Seward for?

What is the minimum time we need to visit Denali and Seward?

I was thinking we could do..

Day 1: Arrive in Anchorage, Rent Car, sleep

Day 2: Drive to Denali. Flightseeing on the way

Day 3: Shuttle into Denali

Day 4: Drive to Seward

Day 5: Kenai Fjords National Park Boat Tour (8am)

Day 6: Drive To Whittier, Return Car, Get on Boat

We would add days and activities as our budget allowed, but I thought this would be the bare minimum. Is this doable and/or worthwhile?

Thanks!

We would add days and activities as our budget allowed, but I thought this would be the bare minimum. Is this doable and/or worthwhile?

Thanks!

It's doable and I agree it's the bare minimum. Other thoughts:

Day 4: Long drive, long day, lots to see. Doable, but just set expectations.

Day 5: The 6 hour tour to Aialik Glacier is just fine, but maybe consider the 9 hour tour to Northwestern Fjord.

Day 6: I think you have to return the car in ANC, and then get to Whittier by cruise ship xfr or train.

It's doable and I agree it's the bare minimum. Other thoughts:

Day 4: Long drive, long day, lots to see. Doable, but just set expectations.

Day 5: The 6 hour tour to Aialik Glacier is just fine, but maybe consider the 9 hour tour to Northwestern Fjord.

Day 6: I think you have to return the car in ANC, and then get to Whittier by cruise ship xfr or train.

I am wondering if it is worth just spending another day in Denali or Talkeetna and crossing Seward off the itinerary?

The main things I would be interested in doing are seward is kayaking or rafting and a boat tour. I could do the prince william sound tour before getting on the boat, and do kayaking/rafting inland on an excursion. Also, we plan to do the Tracy Arm Adventure Bound in Juneau.

Are there enough sights to see in Seward to make it worth the extra effort and money for the trip?

Also, there is a one way rental from Avis. It costs an extra $80 to drop in Whittier. Apparently it is the only car rental facility there. They seem slightly higher per day to rent than some of the other major companies, but not by much, and they have a free day coupon in TourSaver.

The following is our itinerary from June last year:

Day 1: Arrive Anchorage from Vancouver and cab to downtown Avis (cheaper than paying the airport fee). Pick up rental and drive to Denali (Denali Lakeview Inn - Healy)

Day 2: Denali visitors centre and hiking around Mt Healy

Day 3: Denali NP 6.30 shuttle to Wonder lake

Day 4: Drive to Fairbanks for the day

Day 5: Return to Anchorage stopping at Talkeetna

Day 6: PWS cruise - transfer from Anchorage to Whittier (they also held our luggage while we were doing the PWS cruise), then embarkation for cruise.

We didnt get to go to Seward - but that means that we have an excuse to come back again:p

Thanks!

My recommendation- pay for a costly one way Anchorage/Whittier car, well worth the cost in time savings. BUT pick it up, after a round trip Anchorage car for as long as you need it. I never recommend Denali /Seward in a single day. I strongly suggest you only consider the shuttle bus to Eielson and then driving to Talkeetna after, in the pm. OR 2 nights at Denali Park, the next to Anchorage. Then doing the 8am Kenai Fjords boat tour your last day, with a direct drive to Whittier and embarking your ship. Don't be in a rush to get on a ship here, the activites are excellent and well worth the time.

I am wondering if it is worth just spending another day in Denali or Talkeetna and crossing Seward off the itinerary?

The main things I would be interested in doing are seward is kayaking or rafting and a boat tour. I could do the prince william sound tour before getting on the boat, and do kayaking/rafting inland on an excursion. Also, we plan to do the Tracy Arm Adventure Bound in Juneau.

Are there enough sights to see in Seward to make it worth the extra effort and money for the trip?

Also, there is a one way rental from Avis. It costs an extra $80 to drop in Whittier. Apparently it is the only car rental facility there. They seem slightly higher per day to rent than some of the other major companies, but not by much, and they have a free day coupon in TourSaver.

You are better off, looking at a less on the move itinerary overall. Skipping Seward is an option for you to consider. There certainly are plenty of "sights" in all of Alaska, so I certainly can not answer that question.

Archived