Elevator Etiquette

printingchick

Why would any adult tolerate this.

I would have no problem telling the little imps to quit playing on the elevator, get off, and do not let me see you doing it again.

And if they defy me, I tell them "it looks like there is going to be a fight to the death, good luck."

I want to ride the elevator with you - I've got your back. :D

I would still get on the elevator, tell them that it wasn't a place to sit and loudly say, "MOVE" and stand right in the middle of them. They're kids/teenagers. What are they going to do? Complain to their parents that they were being idiots by sitting in the elevator and a big mean man told them to knock it off?

I say, don't let them get away with it. Get on the elevator. If you don't want to confront them, don't. But don't let them think it's acceptible behavior by acquiescing and allowing them to continue. I truly could not care less what they thought of me for having ruined their social moment on an elevator. They know what they are doing and are doing it intentionally. These kids are the ones who grow up and become the very same adults with an overblown sense of entitlement.

Yelling at them does no good. It only encourages them. They just sit there and grin defiantly, almost daring you to do anything about it without actually saying so.

There is no way to "stand right in the middle of them" as they fill up all the floor space in the elevator. The only place to stand would be right on top of them, if you could keep your balance.

Why would any adult tolerate this.

I would have no problem telling the little imps to quit playing on the elevator, get off, and do not let me see you doing it again.

And if they defy me, I tell them "it looks like there is going to be a fight to the death, good luck."

They only laugh at the adults who do that and amuse themselves by provoking them. When they are together in a group, they get that pack mentality and behave in ways they would never have the nerve to do as individuals.

We have all seen and heard the parents who proclaim that their own children are wonderfully well behaved and would never do anything like that, totally oblivious to the way their children behave when the parents are not there.

I don't think there are too many adults, at least not sober, mature ones, who would be willing to assault an 11 or 12 year old child (no matter how tempting it may be) in a situation where there is no real danger to anyone. Most cruise passengers will just shrug, grumble (perhaps toss off a few choice epithets), and call security to let them handle it rather than risk engaging in physical confrontation with minors.

Yelling at them does no good. It only encourages them. They just sit there and grin defiantly, almost daring you to do anything about it without actually saying so.

There is no way to "stand right in the middle of them" as they fill up all the floor space in the elevator. The only place to stand would be right on top of them, if you could keep your balance.

They only laugh at the adults who do that and amuse themselves by provoking them. When they are together in a group, they get that pack mentality and behave in ways they would never have the nerve to do as individuals.

We have all seen and heard the parents who proclaim that their own children are wonderfully well behaved and would never do anything like that, totally oblivious to the way their children behave when the parents are not there.

I don't think there are too many adults, at least not sober, mature ones, who would be willing to assault an 11 or 12 year old child (no matter how tempting it may be) in a situation where there is no real danger to anyone. Most cruise passengers will just shrug, grumble (perhaps toss off a few choice epithets), and call security to let them handle it rather than risk engaging in physical confrontation with minors.

Trip, and spill beer on 'em. They'll move.

They only laugh at the adults who do that and amuse themselves by provoking them.

That might be your experience, but never mine. So far I have NEVER had to have the fight to the death.

And usually, I am with other adults that have the intestinal fortitude to let the little imps know we mean business and will not tolerate disrespectufl behavior from such inconsequential ignorant beings, and we make it known that we will do whatever it takes to see that they get in line.

You would be surprised at how quickly the attitude adjustment takes place.

I've had this happen a few times, too:

Elevator door opens and there is room for at least 2 people (us). No one gets off...............I say, "is anyone getting off?"..............everyone stares....until the door closes and we didn't push our way on so we didn't make it.

Yep. It's a Twilight Zone moment:confused::D

• 1 month later...
Rude people is one of the reasons we always use the stairs! The other is that we burn more calories that way!

Absolutely. If you use the stairs you won't gain that pound a day that is the norm. My Mom is 95 and can still walk short distances but moving around the ship the wheelchair is her main mode of transportation. When fully able bodied folks need to go just one or 2decks it just makes no sense to clog up the elevators for that. I will use the stairs and my wife will use the elevator with Mom and I will always be where I need to be before the elevator reaches that deck. Perhaps there is someone out here in the ether from the cruise lines who could instigate a program to promote elevator courtesy. In the interim I will just satisfy my displeasure with the occasional enlightening comment. Regarding the urchins in the elevator, I look scary enough that they never give me any problems. Happy cruising.

Couldn't agree more with other posters. "Common courtesy" does not appear very common at all! I am 4'11 and I cannot tell you how many times I had to "fight" my way to the doors to get out of the elevator. Calm down people! It's just an elevator not an escape hatch.

So, what's the rule when these lovely "children" have overtaken an elevator for their personal "doobie" use? Had that happen on an RCI cruise where a group of teens would take over the aft elevator after 1am, for their pot parties. So, in polite society, is it proper for them to share with anyone getting on the elevator?

I can honestly say I've never seen this sort of (quite appalling) behaviour described above, except from children (and believe me, they didn't do it again after I gave them The Look') - it might be because we usually cruise on UK ships though, and the English (in particular) do have a reputation to maintain about queuing!

I carry my cell phone because I don't wear a watch. Ran into a group of young people using the elevator as a play space. Told them that this was not a party room and to stop messing around. One young man spouted off and told me that there were other elevators. Hummmm. What to do???

My fix? I pulled out my cell phone. Opened it up and said loudly. SECURITY TO BRIDGE. WE HAVE A PROBLEM ON ELEVATOR SIX.

After that, everytime they saw me, the went the other way. :cool:

I carry my cell phone because I don't wear a watch. Ran into a group of young people using the elevator as a play space. Told them that this was not a party room and to stop messing around. One young man spouted off and told me that there were other elevators. Hummmm. What to do???

My fix? I pulled out my cell phone. Opened it up and said loudly. SECURITY TO BRIDGE. WE HAVE A PROBLEM ON ELEVATOR SIX.

After that, everytime they saw me, the went the other way. :cool:

Note to self: carry cell phone even if it's turned off all of the time - the brats won't know. :D

Couldn't agree more with other posters. "Common courtesy" does not appear very common at all! I am 4'11 and I cannot tell you how many times I had to "fight" my way to the doors to get out of the elevator. Calm down people! It's just an elevator not an escape hatch.

I'm also 4'11", and I've had the same experience! It is ridiculous how many times I have been squished into the back corner by rude people and had to raise my voice in order to be allowed off the elevator. I've also had to tell people not to back up on top of me. Why is it that people think it's okay to be rude as long as they don't look you in the eye? I think it's the same mentality as rude drivers.:confused:

Having people push in front of me when I am standing in front of an elevator is very rude. However, when I see them do the same trick to someone who is sitting in a wheel chair I become vocal.

Several times I have told people to back up, this person is going on next and you will wait your turn. Their nasty looks don't bother me a bit.

When I see rude people I just tell my self they are entering the early stages of Dementia and have forgotten the manners that their mothers had taught them.:rolleyes:

Bob

Amen, Weelycruiser! If you only need to go up a flight (or two) or need to go down, why not use the stairs (and work off some of the buffet!) and allow room for wheelchair users. They don't have a choice in the matter; in fact, I'm sure many of them would give their lungs to be able to climb stairs.

My DH almost always uses the stairs (no matter how many flights) -- says he'd rather do that than ride an elevator back and forth to the gym, LoL! :p

And, while I do my best to keep up with him, ladies' shoes are not always "stair-friendly" -- especially those that go with evening dress. It also seems that I invariably "overdo" it on a cruise tour or shopping day -- ending up with sore feet or blisters! :( So, just because a person is not elderly or in a wheel-chair, please don't assume that they need to take the elevators. ;)

Oh, and the unsupervised kids don't just take over the elevators. We've seen them sprawled all over the staircases, making the other passengers squeeze by or climb over them. Definitely warrants a call to security! :mad:

We've seen them sprawled all over the staircases, making the other passengers squeeze by or climb over them. Definitely warrants a call to security! :mad:

Yell at them.

If they don't move, I step on them.

After that, it is a fight to the death.:eek:

Yell at them.

If they don't move, I step on them.

After that, it is a fight to the death.:eek:

LOL -- having been raised as a Southern Gal, I still have the ability to convey many meanings through the simple phrase "Excuse Me!" It gets results .. :p

LOL -- having been raised as a Southern Gal, I still have the ability to convey many meanings through the simple phrase "Excuse Me!" It gets results .. :p

Not to mention the ever popular "Well, bless your heart" which can convey a multitude of meanings depending on the tone of voice. :)

Maybe they could post it in the "Fun Times" or whatever paper your cruise line publishes, because WE know proper etiquette but would like to spread the knowledge! They just need a little remediation about manners. I agree with the posters who use the stairs as much as possible, sometimes you can beat the elevators by walking up/down the stairs (if you are able). As a side note, how about the folks who don't believe in the use of DEODORANT in the elevators? How long can we hold our breath anyway? 0-0 And working in a school system, i definitely would report minors who abuse the elevators to the ship authorities. Can't wait for my January cruise, this won't get me down!:D

Having people push in front of me when I am standing in front of an elevator is very rude. However, when I see them do the same trick to someone who is sitting in a wheel chair I become vocal.

Several times I have told people to back up, this person is going on next and you will wait your turn. Their nasty looks don't bother me a bit.

When I see rude people I just tell my self they are entering the early stages of Dementia and have forgotten the manners that their mothers had taught them.:rolleyes:

Bob

Where is the "like" button! :)