milk?

hvm57

I am a big fan of milk, the real stuff. I think in the usa it's named 3% fat but i am not sure. when i am in amerika i always buy a gallon with the red stopper.

Does anyone knows how the milk is on Westerdam. This year we will sail HAL for the first time. On Celebrity they have the milk in an machine and this is nice and cold. How is it on Westerdam?

hallo ! Ik wou je gewoon even goeiedag zeggen in het Nederlands :) I'll continue the rest in English. I know what you mean by "the real stuff", when we're in the US or on a cruise we allways struggle to find the right kind of milk as well. We haven't been on HAL yet, but are leaving on a TA cruise on the Oosterdam in 4 weeks so I can tell you all about the milk after we get back.

We have been on X before and like you, we liked the milk that came out of the machines.

Tot ziens en nog een prettige dag daar in Nederland !

If I remember correctly, HAL ships have whole milk, 2%, and skim. Each is in an individual-serving carton and is usually found near the cereal and fruit.

They also have chocolate, soy, and IIRC, a couple of other styles. I find it surprising that they don't have 1%.

They used to have the individual cartons, but I'm not certain it's that way anymore. At least not exclusively. Frequently, when I ask for milk at lunchtime, they pour a glass for me from a larger container.

They also have chocolate, soy, and IIRC, a couple of other styles. I find it surprising that they don't have 1%.

I was told by Ship's Services (who knows if they got it right this time :rolleyes:) that they also have rice milk. And that whole (the 3% OP is asking about), 2%, skim, soy, and rice milk should be available on all ships (I was asking for my lactose intolerant DD -- at her age it's really important that she get enough calcium, so I wanted to make sure there would be options for her).

Is hot chocolate available at breakfast? I like mochas and could just throw some espresso in hot chocolate if available. Thanks.

Hot chocolate is available 24/7 in the Lido. It's in packets near the tea bags---right by the hot water.

I pre-heat a mug first, then discard that water and refill. I like my hot drinks hot!

You can also purchase a delicious hot chocolate in Explorations Cafe. It's yummy. :D

On the Veendam recently they still had 1%, 2%, the real stuff, and chocolate in individual cartons in the Lido near the cereal.

I hope you're right about the 1%---I've never seen it on the ships. That's what I like on my cereal, and I don't like having to mix 2% and skim to get it. Messy, doncha know.

Is hot chocolate available at breakfast? I like mochas and could just throw some espresso in hot chocolate if available. Thanks.
Some ships have hot chocolate machines, near the coffee machines in the Lido. One just sets a cup under the dispenser and pushes a button. If the machines aren't working (not unheard of), there will be the instant packets Ruth mentioned nearby.

Milk is often an adventure on HAL and most cruise lines. My DW is an exclusive milk drinker. Yes the Lido is usually stocked with cartons but it is not unusual to find one or another type not out for consumption. Some staff unfortunately do not differentiate very well between fat free, 2%, whole, etc. Some think that milk is milk and as long as their is milk on the counter there is milk. Many times we have had to ask for the fat free. When they run out of a type of milk on a cruise they seem to have a supply of tetrapak vacuum packed milk on reserve. We don't like it as much.

Now in the Dining Room you must be explicit and insist on the type of milk you want. Again to many of the staff milk is milk. They are most helpful once they know what you want. But you must be explicit. It is not uncommon that they must go to the Lido to get the milk you want. I know on the Eurodam our last Hal, our Steward had to go to the Lido every night. My wife puts this on the comment card each time in addition of course to the great experience overall we have always had.

I drank some milk once that had turned to “yogurt” on the bottom of the container. It didn’t taste bad or make me sick, but I knew something was wrong when I felt a “blob” hit my lips.:eek: Ship happens….

The OP should know that milk in Europe in not the same as milk in the U.S. I believe the main difference is US milk is homogenized and has some other “stuff” added. HAL’s milk will likely be U.S (FDA) style, and will taste different than milk in the Netherlands. Hope that helps….:cool:

Mark…

They used to have the individual cartons, but I'm not certain it's that way anymore. At least not exclusively. Frequently, when I ask for milk at lunchtime, they pour a glass for me from a larger container.

In fact, there is 1% milk on HAL ships. And yes, HAL does have the individual cartons, until the cartons run out and it then supplied in "tetra" boxes! I have never been on a HAL ship that poured milk from a larger container!

Can you get milk for free, or do you have to pay for it?

Milk is included in your cruise fare. It's on the Lido display at breakfast, but I've never seen it out at lunch. I do ask for it, though, and it's always supplied.

Milk and water are my favorite beverages (cheap date, I am!) and I only want skim (nonfat) milk. I usually drink a glass at every meal on a cruise. Dinner is easy; after the first night, the steward (fixed seating, so same steward) will have it ready for me and since I see the little carton I know it's skim. Breakfast is the hardest; if we go to the Dining Room which we usually do, I want it for the coffee and milk comes up on the food tray so it takes awhile. If I'm organized to that extent in the morning (hard, on no coffee yet!) I'll make a Lido run before we go to the Dining Room and bring a carton of skim milk with me to get my coffee started before more milk comes up with the food.

By my standards the milk is delicious, but I have had it spoil once by the end of the cruise. The dining steward told me that it didn't look right to him, did I still want it, and when I saw it . . . um, no. But that was on a cruise that originated in San Diego in the summer and as we hadn't left the ship yet at the end of the cruise we watched from Lower Prom as they loaded food replacements onto the ship. The milk was still sitting out there in the hot, hot sun when we left and hadn't been loaded to the ship yet. No wonder it doesn't last.

In fact, there is 1% milk on HAL ships. And yes, HAL does have the individual cartons, until the cartons run out and it then supplied in "tetra" boxes! I have never been on a HAL ship that poured milk from a larger container![/quote]

Once the individual cartons were used, I guess, I've seen the chocolate milk poured in glasses and "lined in rows" the way the juices are offered. I've also seen the boxes offered.

Archived