What to do with 100.00 Compass Rewards Upgrade

one eyed jim

I received my final certs. Four five hundred POINTS huh???? certs and seven 100.

As we are in a AC suite, and you cant upgrade a suite, I have 700 useless points.

I do plan to send the 100 point certificates in with the 500 point certs. As we all know by now, nobody at NCL knows what's going on. If you ask 10 reps the same question, you'll get 12 answers, maybe one of the less astitute reps will count my 700 POINTS as 700 dollars off on the cabin.

It could happen. Wink.;)

500 POINT CERTS? You sure there isn't a dollar sign in front of the 500????

100 points would be $1.00

So $10 is a bargain! Just reminding folks to read their certs. It is 100 POINTS not $100

So like if we book a J we can upgrade to JJ? Not even worth 100 points! Sometimes past passengers already get that upgrade without even having to pay extra and sometimes if you have to pay extra to the next CAT. it's only like $10. We had to all spend a lot of money just to even get to 100 points!

Since each cert is per person for one category upgrade. So 2 in a BD get a BC with 2 certs, a BB with 4 certs, a BA with 6 certs.

The new certificates say "Upgrade certificates cannot be combined and exchanged for dollars off certificates", so can we use two of them for the two of us in our balcony stateroom??? Is it even worth the bother of sending them in?

BoA thanks for the memories!

As Compass Rewards went away last December. So we are talking what we got for what we spent by 12/31. Then B of A closes our credit card & puts our account number on a new Worldpoints card which has horrible rewards. $50,000 to get $500 off a cruise or OBC. YIKES! So I told them NO THANKS!

FunInTheSun03;18220960]Ok since this will be our first NCL cruise I am not familiar with what are Compass Rewards exactly are? Are they something only the person that has them can use or can they be given away? ;)

Well I am not happy with these little cert. I am booked on the Majesty, in a 145 sq. O.V. to use the cert. it brings me to a higher deck but a cabin with 108 sq. ft. anyone say sardine can. So I tried to pay for upgrade so I could again get 145 sq. Would lose my OBC, plus had to pay the difference NOT from the current category difference (ex. $25 to go up a cat.) instead I would have to pay the difference from the price I paid when I booked (I booked early and on a sale) To make it short, it COST too much to even make it enjoyable. SO NO GO FOR THE COUPONS. Maybe they count on us NOT using them.:rolleyes:

mew1

As Compass Rewards went away last December. So we are talking what we got for what we spent by 12/31. Then B of A closes our credit card & puts our account number on a new Worldpoints card which has horrible rewards. $50,000 to get $500 off a cruise or OBC. YIKES! So I told them NO THANKS!

It is not quite that bad. Not a good program but worth about half the old program. $25,000 in NCL spend gets you 50,000 points and $500 off a cruise. $25,000 in NCL spend on the old program got you $1000.

It is not quite that bad. Not a good program but worth about half the old program. $25,000 in NCL spend gets you 50,000 points and $500 off a cruise. $25,000 in NCL spend on the old program got you $1000.

Actually it is worse than that. It is worth 1/3 of the old program.

The vast majority of points that people earned under the old program was from the NON NCL spend. 3% of every dollar.

Now it is 1% of every dollar spent on NON NCL spend.

I never got into the program for the extra 1% on on my NCL spend.

Worldpoints no longer gives any benefit that would warrant its use as you can find Credit cards that will get you a 1% cash rebate on your spend and you can spend those $$ any way you like, including travel on other lines.

Since each cert is per person for one category upgrade. So 2 in a BD get a BC with 2 certs, a BB with 4 certs, a BA with 6 certs.

Yesterday I put in a query for the website that lets agents compete for your booking. One came back saying they wouldn't take a FCC (is that future cruise credit I just bought which is supposed to be my $250 deposit to hold the cruise?) and another said they wouldn't take the upgrade certificates!

Anyone having these same experiences?

My math may be a little rusty, but at one time I figured that (on the old wonderful program) using the 3% figure, $16,666 got you a $500 certificate. It's been a long time since I've studied math!

And yet you are correct ;) ..

Yesterday I put in a query for the website that lets agents compete for your booking. One came back saying they wouldn't take a FCC (is that future cruise credit I just bought which is supposed to be my $250 deposit to hold the cruise?) and another said they wouldn't take the upgrade certificates!

Anyone having these same experiences?

Yes, I've had that experience with the compete site. Now whenever I enter a proposition I state that I have a FCC and not to bid on the booking if the agency is unable to handle it.

They are NOT $100 CERTS ... they are 100 POINT certs!!!! There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE. Eeeee gads ... so much misinformation on these stinkin' things over the last couple of weeks.

PEOPLE ... they are

100 POINTS POINTS POINTS POINTS!

(sorry for yelling ... but you'll save yourselves

a lot of frustration if you take a goooood look

at those certificates.)

Doesn't really matter at this point, junk is junk!

What can you use those 100.00 cruise upgrades cirtificates for?

I got 2 500.00 cirtificates for a cruise discount. But I can't figure out what good are the 100.00 cirtificates. You can't use them for a cabin upgrade along with a 500.00 certificate. And you can't use two or more at one time, with the rules they have in place you would have to take multiple cruises to use them up.:confused::confused::confused:

See if carnival will accept them.............did I really say that.:eek:

Yes, I've had that experience with the compete site. Now whenever I enter a proposition I state that I have a FCC and not to bid on the booking if the agency is unable to handle it.

You know, I mentioned I had both in my statement about what cruise I wanted, yet 3 responded anyway. One that wouldn't accept them (or give the OBC NCL is now offering!) said to go to their website and speak to an agent about the certificates and FCC (so apparently they DO take them, they just don't give you as low a price). Phooey.

Never having had a compass reward of any kind before, I didn't realize I could not get my upgrade immediately. So I rushed the certificates (4 for a 2 cat upgrade from a BC to a BA) to the post office today.

I was told by the first representative that they usually didn't do the upgrades until 30 days before sailing. Well, my cruise is 1 1/2 years away and all the choice cabins will be gone for sure by then. Got another representative to ask if I could just book the BA and then when the certificates were accepted, just get the difference in OBC. No. Different office! She suggested, and I did, that I write a letter with the certificates and ask for a rush job so I could get the cabin of my choice. (there are today several still available) but we don't really know if my letter will be opened immediately, or acted upon soon.

I will post when it happens and let you know what happens (how quickly) and if I get what I want. If I don't I may downgrade to an ocean view to save money, no penalty this far out.

Since I booked directly with NCL I may have a slightly better chance of getting it done, don't you think? (One less person or agency to go through right now but I can always transfer the booking to an agency for an additional perk etc after I have my cabin assignment).

Never having had a compass reward of any kind before, I didn't realize I could not get my upgrade immediately. So I rushed the certificates (4 for a 2 cat upgrade from a BC to a BA) to the post office today.

I was told by the first representative that they usually didn't do the upgrades until 30 days before sailing. Well, my cruise is 1 1/2 years away and all the choice cabins will be gone for sure by then. Got another representative to ask if I could just book the BA and then when the certificates were accepted, just get the difference in OBC. No. Different office! She suggested, and I did, that I write a letter with the certificates and ask for a rush job so I could get the cabin of my choice. (there are today several still available) but we don't really know if my letter will be opened immediately, or acted upon soon.

I will post when it happens and let you know what happens (how quickly) and if I get what I want. If I don't I may downgrade to an ocean view to save money, no penalty this far out.

Since I booked directly with NCL I may have a slightly better chance of getting it done, don't you think? (One less person or agency to go through right now but I can always transfer the booking to an agency for an additional perk etc after I have my cabin assignment).

I thought I read on this forum that the way it works is you book a cabin you like and when you send the upgrade certificates they deduct the upgrade price (whatever it is) from your total. But I may be wrong.

I thought I read on this forum that the way it works is you book a cabin you like and when you send the upgrade certificates they deduct the upgrade price (whatever it is) from your total. But I may be wrong.

That's what I wanted to do but they said it couldn't be done. I had to take a BC guarantee and hope the cabin I want will be available after the accounting/payment application office deals with it.

That's what I wanted to do but they said it couldn't be done. I had to take a BC guarantee and hope the cabin I want will be available after the accounting/payment application office deals with it.

That makes the upgrade certificates even more useless then I thought.

We have just booked a BA aft balcony on the Jewel for Feb 07, 2010. I had 301 points as of Dec 31. They sent me 4 $100 certificates. Are they worth anything? Thought maybe I would just send them in and see what happens. At this point what have I got to lose?

Did you tell them you had the certificates when you booked? Sounds like your situation is identical to mine (BA) except that they booked me a BC and will make it a BA when they get the certificates. Doesn't seem right, does it? The cabin I want will possibly be gone by then.

Let us know if they re-do your invoice and lower your price to that of a BC.

That IS what they do on the $500 certificates which represent money. Not so on the upgrade certificates. Unless someone can tell me that it worked for them (that they on the spot got the cabin they wanted and later got a reduced rate) I have to do it like NCL says. But then again, if I'd gotten a different clerk, would the answer have been something else?

Archived