What's the shopping like in Costa Maya?

OntCruise

I haven't been to Mexico for years ... and that was Cancun where we didn't shop at all.

What can you tell me about shopping in Costa Maya? What are they known for? Any tips on shops not to miss?

I read that you should hold off buying anything near the port, but wait until you have a chance to get into Mahahual. Is there a big price difference between the two places?

Thanks

It's been a few years since I've been there, but I do think the prices were better in town vs. by the ship. We always go into town and relax by the beach and shop first. Then we allow an hour to shop around the port on our way back to the ship.

We did not go into town last week when we were there, there was a power outage in town. We did shop the port shops, there was a lot of leeway in their pricing. They were offering mexican blankets for $30-60, but took $5-10 after haggling. Good buys in Costa Maya are Silver jewelry, blankets, Mexican vanilla extract (coumarine free), etc. Just be prepared to negotiate the prices down 50% or more.

I found them pushy at the port.

I even had a vendor there call me a "liar" last week when I said I'd come back after I called my children at home...and the same vendor I overheard calling another passenger some degrading "American" remarks!

Needless to say, I was so upset I went on the boat.

• 2 weeks later...

The vendors in the port area are more pushy then the ones in town. Most of the time with the vendors in town, all you needed to say was "no thank you" and they would say thanks for visting our town. The people in town were very nice. As for the shopping, most vendors in town had much the same stuff. Not as good as we had hoped for. But they were willing to deal with the items they had.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago we went to Costa Maya and went to the village. I did not find anyone overly pushy. Of course they wanted you to buy from them but a no was good enough. I bought a terracotta painted sun, a silver bracelet, vanilla, statues that look like mask made out of some kind of stone, some little painted animals, and cigars. And Beer too. Absolutely loved the place and hope to go again.

marci4tony had a bad experience in Nov, 2008 - one of the first cruise ships to return to Costa Maya - and she continues to base her views on that experience and not factor in the positive views from visitors since her visit.

It is her loss.

• 3 weeks later...

I preferred the shopping in Majahual over the port--I agree with others' that the vendors at the port were more pushy--and possibly a touch crabby. Those in Majahual were much more laid back and friendly. We bought silver jewelry, a fabulous, huge red and gold Sombrero for my son which brought smiles to many faces he passed, a swimsuit cover-up/dress, and a few refreshing beers. There was much more to buy, but this was our first port so we wanted to save some shopping for the other ports as well. This was a beautiful, laid back shopping/beach area.

Definitely shopping in Majuahual is more fun than shopping at the port. The vendors (and there are tons of them) are cheery, friendly, joking, and will easily take a "no gracias". And they negotiate their prices much better. I agree with previous posters that the shop owners within the port confines are much more...........I'm looking for the right word, here...........independent. They don't seem to enjoy the fine art of friendly negotiating. A smile quickly turns to a scowl when they see they aren't going to make a sale. Having said that..............I bought both from town and the port area!

Last week I found a great store. If you walk past Nacional Beach Club which is the new swanky Miami South Beach looking place, you will see another similar building. Inside was a great jewelry store with good silver jewelry. The prices were reasonable. I got a ring, pendant and earrings with small nautilus shells and pearl set in silver for under $70 total. They had some of the nicest styles I have seen in awhile. Nothing like you find everywhere else in Mexico.

Next time I go I am going to spend the day right there at Nacional Beach. I made the mistake of trying Tequila Beach and didn't find it very special. I should've stayed where I was.

• 4 months later...

Archived