Just Returned from the AOS 11/14 sailing

stones902

We just returned from the 11/14 AOS sailing. Had a great time although we had quite a bit of rain and overcast sky. The ship was great. We stayed in a Junior Suite (1350) and loved it. This was our 15th cruise. The ship, service and food on board was top notch.

I'll try and answer anyone's specific questions.

We just returned from the 11/14 AOS sailing. Had a great time although we had quite a bit of rain and overcast sky. The ship was great. We stayed in a Junior Suite (1350) and loved it. This was our 15th cruise. The ship, service and food on board was top notch.

How was embarkation? What was the earliest they let passengers on? Going this weekend...can't wait!

Cindy ;)

We were on the same sailing as OP (Hi Kurt!) While the weather certainly left much to be desired..we made lemonade out of lemons and had a great time. We felt the food was good and service most times matched it..only exception was our room steward Rufus who was simply outstanding and we tipped him accordingly. Portafinos is wonderful with mouthwatering selections and service above and beyond!

Embarkation was pretty easy. We arrived around 11:30 and were included in the first group to board after the Platinum, Diamond and Suite guests. Boarded around 1:15.

Disembarkation was another story...took a long time to go thru the process..they disembark based on time of your flight. First passengers off were those on a ship sponsored excursion, followed by passengers with flights before 2PM. Our flight was at 2:50 and our group recvd the go ahead to disembark around 10:00 or so...by the time we snaked thru the long lines, went thru customs and declaration, claimed our lugguge and got to the airport and check in and security , it was almost 1PM..be prepared for long lines and folks that move at their own speed!

We were on the 11/7 sailing of the AOS and we arrived at the pier around 11:45 and were eating before 1. Eveything went smoothly! They took our luggage off the taxi, went immediatley to check in, only a hand full of people ahead of us, grabbed a cookie and before my second bite they started boarding. That was what we were hoping for!!

Have fun! I just realized I lost my $90 swimsuit. Probably was wrapped up in the pool towels. Darn!! ( only paid $7.95 though)

Lisara

How was embarkation? What was the earliest they let passengers on? Going this weekend...can't wait!

Cindy ;)

Raerae,

Maybe a couple of us were a bit anxious - but we arrived at the terminal at 10:15 AM. They didn't open the terminal doors until approx 11:30. The ship had not been cleared of passengers from the prior crusie until approx 1:30.

I suggest planning to arrive at about 11:15 - 11:30. Good luck on your cruise....it's a beautiful ship!

They advised us that luggage would not be at the pier for anyone with flight times other than announced had clearance to disembark. If your flight was at 3PM and you left ship with folks whose flights were before 2PM lets say, your luggage wouldnt be there. Cant tell you if that is true or not though...

Which itinerary were you on? Did you stay in San Juan before the cruise? If so, which hotel?

Lynne

We were 1st off due to platinum status. Having said that, other members of our party who were only gold weren't allowed off until 12:30. Everyone was required to show their flight tickets in advance to prove they were on an early flight and therefore elibigible for early debarkation with certain color bag tags. The others in our party were required to display bag tag receipts upon exiting the ship to prove their color. They also indicated that several announcements were made to ask people politely leave as their color was called.

Having said that...we were first off and I can confirm that all bags from all color groups were in ther terminal building when we exited the ship at 8:30 AM.

We stayed at the Wyndham Condado. Signed up for the Wyndham by request before we left and we were upgraded to the 10th floor which is the conceirge floor. We all had our luggage and when the elevator opened up the girl at the desk said " you brought your own luggage"? The country mice were visiting the city!! LOL! We had continental breakfast, homemade cookie hour and hourdevous(?). We had the top floor almost all to ourselves. TA paid for our rooms and I'm thinking it was $144. Thats a whole other story!! We won't get into that!

We also booked the rainforest excursion for the day we returned. Our flight to Phila was at 6:40. We were one of the first off the ship. When our bus pulled out the lines were very LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!! So glad we did that!

Lisara

We stayed at the Wyndham Condado. Signed up for the Wyndham by request before we left and we were upgraded to the 10th floor which is the conceirge floor. We all had our luggage and when the elevator opened up the girl at the desk said " you brought your own luggage"? The country mice were visiting the city!! LOL! We had continental breakfast, homemade cookie hour and hourdevous(?). We had the top floor almost all to ourselves. TA paid for our rooms and I'm thinking it was $144. Thats a whole other story!! We won't get into that!

We also booked the rainforest excursion for the day we returned. Our flight to Phila was at 6:40. We were one of the first off the ship. When our bus pulled out the lines were very LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!! So glad we did that!

Lisara

We were at the Wyndham El San Juan. It is located near the airport in the Isla Verde beach zone area about 1 mile from the Embassy Suites. A very nice lobby, lots of restaurants w/ some top notch - others not. Our room was disappointing as is was old and in need of remodeling, the deadbolt didn't work nor did internet access from our room. The "balcony" was on the 3rd floor and all we could see was air conditioning ducts.

We also signed up for Wyndham by Request but didn't receive our ammenities until day 3 of our 4 day stay after a couple of phone calls. Additionally, a co worker who's wife is a wheel with Wyndham ordered flowers and wine for our room that we never received. All in all we were somewhat disappointed with these accomodations and expected a bit more. If we had to do it all over again, I would recommend the Intercontinental or the ESJ. Embassy Suites would also be OK for a day or two but not 4 days.

Hello

Thanks for all the info.

we will be going 1-9-05,

first on time RC.

Any tips for the ports?

Is St Martin still the place to shop?

Is Rc pretty much on time when docking in ports?

Can I except to wait for hours for my luggage to get to my cabin?

How are they with bringing your own bottles on board? Pre cruise or during.

Looking for a great small group caterman sailing trip. Any ideas

Thanks

Barb

We had no problems getting off the ship at 9:00am... we had a 1:15pm flight. Heard them call flights before 2pm and off we went. Didn't check any documentation, just off we walked. Were at the airport within an hour. No lines there either.

We did the Aruba, Curacao, St Maarten and St Thomas route and arrived the day before embarkation. Some of us were at the Hampton Inn and others stayed at Embassy Suites...prefer the Embassy for sure!

How was St. Maartan? Was Front Street still pretty torn up?

Lynne

Archived