Kenai Fjords tour and weather?

tranceFusion

Do the Kenai Forjds park tours get cancelled often due to weather or do they run pretty consistently? (basically, do I need to schedule extra time in case it gets cancelled?) We will be there in August.

Thanks.

Yes ,they do get cancelled due to weather. Not sure how often, but it does happen. I know of someone who had booked it last year and was not able to take the tour. They only allowed themselves one day in Seward.

We were going to be in Seward for two days. We booked the tour for the first day. That way, if our trip got cancelled, we would have had another opportunity the next day. We would not have been able to take the same tour as it would have gotten back too late for us to make the train, but we would have been able to take a 6 hour tour. If this is a tour you are really hoping to take, I would make the reservation for day one.

They don't get cancelled because of weather but because of seas. As you leave Resurrection Bay and go around the corner before Aialik, the wind can kick up some pretty good seas. Anything over about 6-8 feet and they will shorten or cancel the cruise. This can occur on beautiful, sunny days as well as nasty, rainy ones, although more frequently on nasty, rainy ones.

They don't get cancelled because of weather but because of seas. As you leave Resurrection Bay and go around the corner before Aialik, the wind can kick up some pretty good seas. Anything over about 6-8 feet and they will shorten or cancel the cruise. This can occur on beautiful, sunny days as well as nasty, rainy ones, although more frequently on nasty, rainy ones.

Don't mean to get picky, but wind is part of weather. ;)

As noted, it's the sea conditions, and not essentially "weather", so you can most certainly be going out in pouring rain etc etc.

Problem is this can change on a dime and sometimes not known until they get out. What they will do, often is shorten the tour, sometimes they continue to go, just depends. ALL the more reason to take precautions, if prone to motion sickness. I see sick passengers EVERY trip.

Most tours do run. In the off peak, they cancel more frequently. I had to wait for 3 days for a gray whale trip to run a few years ago, in early April. Also, they weren't going to run this tour with an empty boat either. :)

Archived