Will the ship wait for you in port if you're late?

TravlGrl

LOL! Ok, that picture is funny. The only thing I can figure is that maybe she sent him to run ahead of her??? (just to make sure they were holding the ship?). I dunno. Or, maybe it was HER fault that they were so late and they weren't speaking to each other at the moment so he left her in the dust.

...loved the video and picture...

BTW, I've showed the Ben and Jerry Sweet video to family and friends. Everyone wants to book that 'sweet'.

I actually find that video to be somewhat funny, like it could make for a SNL sketch

LOL Can you just see Andy Samberg making a fake music video of it? Or, one of his fake rap songs. Teehee!

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Last year on the Triumph docked at Grand Cayman we watched 2 drunk women trying to re-board the ship docked right across from us, but they wouldn't let them on because the drunk man they were with and lost track of, had all of there ID's with him, and he was nowhere to be found. Time was quickly running out, and these woman were in a panic. Scared half to death, so sorry they were so stupid, and really mad at both the ships people and the drunk, missing man. Crying, and yelling, and cussing, we all watched from our balconies. Some cheering them on, and others making fun of them. It was funny, and sad to watch at the same time. Finally the drunk guy came running at the last minute. If he knew what he was running into he probably would have run the other way.lol.

Two crew members were about a half hour late (more for them, I suppose) on our Amazon River Cruise. An officer in full uniform had just chewed out a couple (passengers) a few minutes before. He kept pointing to his watch and the couple just kept shrugging. The crew members were cooks and I understand lost their shore leave for a month.

The Hotel Manager told us that the ship is responsible for the crews' safety while they are ashore and don't just assume that they are simply running late.

We saw a couple miss the ship in Venice once. A water-taxi came rushing up beside the ship, but the ship still left without them. And then to add insult to injury, a patrol boat gave the water taxi driver a speeding ticket. Sadly, there were two sea days before the next port so they missed quite a bit of their cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
What a nightmare! :eek::eek::eek: Won't the cruise line fly you to the next port (maybe if you have insurance)? Thank's

Any expenses incured because you missed the ship are your responsibility, not the cruiseline.

Our friends missed the ship in Ensenada. All expenses they incurred to get home were their's. It was quite a hassle and an experience they will never forget but they were lucky they live in So Cal so there was no flight to deal with. Their passports were on the ship and she wasn't an American citizen yet (she is now) and it took about 12 hours to finally go thru paperwork to get back over the Mexico/California border (which should only be approximately 4 hour car ride)

Basically, they just lost track of time while in Papa's & Beer! :D

I used to work on cruise ships..

Usually, it depends on the port of call and the cruise line...there are rules or protocols to be followed....

For Passengers ..it depends who the passenger is..usually the ship would wait ...example : Guest staying at suites would likely to be waited for ..i think its 45 minutes is the allowance and a search party will be conducted ashore, it depends where you are ..they would contatc the prot agent and have the passenger meet the ship next port at their expense.

As for crew members and ships officers...it depends on your position ...if waiters , servers etc etc ...they will not wait for you and consider yourself fired. The port agent will fly the crew member to the next port.

For ships officers, doctors, nurses, gift shop manager ( ME ), dancers,Singers, officers girlfriends, captains mistress,

The ship is likely to be delayed and they will wait for you ...after all the ship cannot SAIL without a Doctor....( it is illegal) and if you are the captains girlfriend - they will definitely wait for you ...because " an unhappy captain = to unhappy ship"

• 3 weeks later...

I was on a Smooth Jazz Cruise in 2004 where the Jazz Artist Marion Meadows and his wife were left in Key West. It was the first stop of 4. They had to get to Cozumel on their own. He actually joked about it during his performances so I guess he was no one special when it came to departure time.:D

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I were on a Princess sponsored tour/ excursion and the driver for the excursion got us back to the port 1 hour late... I guess he was not on ship time - the ship waited - probably because we were on a ship excursion. The lesson learned - even if more expensive - buy the ships excursions. They will wait for you. But boy did I feel like a fool with all of the passengers calling out to us as we walk up the pier... And the sad part was... it was me that said to the driver as we are stuck in traffic in St Martin - are we close? The ship sails in 15 minutes... he then speaks in another language into his radio and boy did we fly through parking lots, over curbs, through places that cars should not go.. we were still an hour late. There were 30 people on this tour and no one was paying attention to the time. ouch.

My wife and I were on the Caribbean Princess two years ago on a Canada,New England cruise.When we were in Bar Harbour we took a whale watching tour,which got us back to port in what we thought was plenty of time to do some shopping in the quaint little town.As we were walking around town we noticed less and less people walking around and thought nothing of it,looking at our watches we knew we had plenty of time to get back to catch the last tender back to the ship.We started heading back and planed on being a half hour early to catch it but somehow both of us had the last tender time incorrect,so instead of being a half hour early,we were a half hour late!When we got back to the small dock,not a soul in sight and I knew this was not good.I spied a guy with a radio and asked if he was from Princess and he asked if I was such an such and I answered yes that is my last name and now knew for sure this was not good.In the distance we could see the ship slowly starting to move and he's talking to someone on his radio trying to get us back on the ship.Bar harbour being so small they use lobster boats for their pilot boat,so next thing we know up pulls a dirty old lobster boat and the mate says lets go!My wife and I jump on and away we go,me laughing inside and thinking this is pretty neat,never been on a lobster boat and my wife very upset about the whole thing.I was going to take some pictures but thought better of it.When we got back to the ship they had left the boarding deck down but everything else was already stowed away so we had to just jump of the lobster boat with the help of a couple of deck hand's.Even the scanners were put away so the searched us by hand,then a very angry looking officer standing with his hand crossed on his chest asked us what happened and why we were late.When we explained what happened and it was a simple mix up on our part as far as what time the tender was leaving and he could clearly see we had not been drinking so he loosened up a bit and said we were luck this time and walked away from us.One of the Junior officers said no big deal,it happens a lot and not to sweat it.When we got back to our cabin our Stewart was there and asked what happened because he was told to search our cabin for us and other people were looking for us on the ship as well.He said it happens quite a bit and we were lucky we got back on board without much trouble.We still laugh about our little "Lobster Cruise"

dond3131-I'm so glad yours ended up nicely. I can't even imagine. If that happened to me, I probably wouldn't have to worry about catching the boat because I would die of a heart attack on the spot. :D

I can't believe they say it happens a lot. Wow, I never imagined.

dond3131-I'm so glad yours ended up nicely. I can't even imagine. If that happened to me, I probably wouldn't have to worry about catching the boat because I would die of a heart attack on the spot. :D

I can't believe they say it happens a lot. Wow, I never imagined.

Once I realized what happened,I thought it was pretty funny to myself,but I could see my wife was upset so I kept quite.At that point it was to late,what was done was done and by nature I don't worry about things I can't change and look for the bright side.How many people do yo know have been on a lobster boat!

Hope you have a good time on the Epic,were be on her right after you,10/16.Everything about her looks Great so far.

Don

• 3 weeks later...
I have seen passengers join the ship via the pilot boat, shopping bags and all! It's quite a jump onto the ship when your arms are full! :)

J

We didn't acutally SEE the boarding of 3 passengers when we left Ketchikan in 2005 on the Spirit, but we heard the PA announcements over and over asking for these 3 people to present themselves to the reception desk. Then we pulled away from the dock. About 10 minutes later the ship slowed down and we heard that a boat had pulled up beside the ship and the 3 missing passengers had made it onto the ship. I would NEVER cut it that close if there was any possible way in my power to prevent it. Glad for those folks they were able to make it back on.

At least the ship waits if you are on a cruise company condoned shore excursion. We always take that type of excursion just in case. Surely enough, on the Carnival Pride sailing in June 2006, our tour bus from the Sierra Madre Mts. ran into a tremendous amount of traffic on the highway. Bumper to bumper. We were late getting back to port. But the ship waited. WHEW!

• 2 weeks later...

I was on a cruise once and saw a boat bring some passengers out to the ship they missed. I leanred that that I would never miss a getting on board on time. It was horrible the ship kept going up and down. The ship was out so the cold not put the gang plank down.. They went to small door where crew members threw a rope down and they had to be drag up. Someone was important a crew member and passengers they had to pay for the boat to go out there. I think it was a tug the water had lots of swells and they had a hard time trying to get out. I was told later the tug boat charged them thousands.

Mary

Thanks. It was her last cruise. Yes we did make it, but I am sure if anyone saw her running, they would have thought she wasn't sick at all.

My late grandmother wasn't very mobile and started to do less and less. We had a terrible thunderstorm and we were hearing reports of funnel clouds on hubby's fire/police scanner. We got her down the stairs and we all stayed in the basement until the storm passed. I brought a chair down so she'd be comfortable. We no sooner get upstairs then we're hearing a funnel cloud 8 miles down the road. We say to her, off to the basement. She tells us no way. She asks my hubby where do I go - he says into the bathroom. She plunks down on the couch refusing to go in basement with us. We're down there when we could see a lightning streak followed immediately by a deafening boom. I hear what sounds like running from our living room to the bathroom. When the danger was over we were laughing so hard we were crying.

So in my mind I'm picturing your mom sprinting out of that wheelchair saying to herself I'll be damned if they're going to leave me!!!:D

Fastest, in my whole life, that I ever saw (or should say HEARD) my Grandma run

I went on the Diamond Princess in May and saw firsthand what happens when someone is late for boarding. I was on my balcony when we were ready to leave Juneau and I heard someone yelling "help". When I looked down, I saw a women hurrying toward the ship. I heard someone say it was too late, the ship left. I thought he was kidding because I could feel we weren't moving and saw we were still next to the dock. Just when this was unfolding, the ship started to pull away from the dock. I would have thought there would have been some way for her to get on the ship, but I guess not. The "all aboard" time was 3:30 pm and she got to the ship at about 4:10 pm. A lesson for us all, they really will leave without you, even when you're right on the dock. I've posted pics and video in the travel section on RealESO dot com if you're interested.

Archived