My Review: Sapphire Princess Feb. 14-21 (Long)

kooljamming

Background: I am often curious about who the reviewers are and most important what prompt them to take a particular vacation. So, we are a couple in our mid forties (Me 44) and early fifties (DH 50). We have sailed with RCCL on several occasions and most recently with Carnival. Since this was our first vacation without our kids (ages 10 and 13) we were seeking a different experience from our most recent with Carnival, which we actually enjoyed. We would have gone with RCCL our favorite (maybe until now) but they were not in our home port on our dates. Frankly we have second guessed sailing Princess because of the reputation of catering to the old. Well, I found out that the ‘old’ was people our age, so we quickly got over that and jumped on-board.

Meet and Greet: Our meet and greet was at the aft pool shortly after the muster drill. I had the opportunity to meet some really wonderful people. While this was a great location, it was chosen by the staff for the sail away party. Starting the cruise at the meet and greet provided me with familiar faces around the ship.

Cabin: We got to our cabin, aft E732, and was immediately impress with the view from the back of the ship. Having this cabin turn out to be a vacation within itself. We booked it on on line.. We started out with a inside guarantee but for only a few hundreds more was able to cancel and re-book after a price drop and final payment. This cabin gave an incredible view and also the magnificent sounds of the waves. It also provided protection from the wind on sea and windy days. We often slept with the cabin door open to be lulled asleep by the waterfall effects of the waves. On the last day I spent most of the day on the balcony. It’s was a blessed feeling to watch the waves while listening to my favorite song, Let it Be, by John Lennon. As the trip came to a close it was like leaving a good friend and thinking When Will I See You Again.. So cabin E732, thanks for the memories. You provided the setting to enjoy the Beatles, sing along with my favorite hymns and rock to my favorite pop stars, sometimes all before noon.

Ship: The Sapphire Princess is a ship of sheer beauty. I was amazed by her beauty and elegance but not overwhelm by it. The decor emphasis style and class. I am often in a rush to get from point A to B but this ship gave me a reason to slow down and take notice. I often see beautiful things yet moving on to admire another and another. On Princess I saw the same thing several times and continued to be amazed. Around every corner there was a small detail that got my attention. My feet wanted to move forward but my eyes kept holding me back, along with meeting great staff and passengers. Every trip back to the cabin I felt it necessary to take the long way (kinda easy since I was aft). There was always something worth admiring of simply appreciating one more time. I felt Princess tried to provide a magnificent sailing instrument without the need for a mall or theme park effect. I was truly impress and thought if I ever dreamed of a great ship this would be the one. It’s about beauty , attention to detail and elegance.

Food:

I do not go on these vacation expecting gourmet or 5 star dining. My first meal in Santa Fe dining room was a huge disappointment. I don’t need fancy but I know what a decent meal is suppose to taste like. I know from reading reviews that many had enjoyed the meals, therefore this must have been a fluke. Gladly for the rest of our trip, the food from MDR to the buffet’s midnight snacks, either met or surpassed my expectation. I found some of the food in the buffet to be as good if not better than a few in the MDR. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet ( never quite got over the maze of Horizon Court) a meal I usually miss. I thought at times too much effort went into providing ‘gourmet’ flare in the MDR. I don’t mind having simple food that is prepared and presented well. I liked the setting of the main dining room for lunch but often stopped by the buffet to see what was fun on the menu. We had all of our dinners in the MDR because an evening gown at the buffet might appear a tad over dressed.

Anytime Dining

I read and worried and went back and forth on how this would work. I wanted traditional dining but ended up on the wait list. I decided to give this a try, without the hassle of making reservations. I did anytime dining by showing up anytime to eat. To my delight I really liked eating this way. To avoid hunger pangs and frustration if I had to wait, I decided to be there a few minutes before I was ready to eat. I only had to wait once, which was on formal night. Knowing this might happen we went ahead and took our formal pictures. We were told the wait would have been 45 minutes but it turned out to be only half that time. The service was noticeable slower and not as attentive with anytime dining. You are being served by a different person each night. For the most part we were seated at table for 2, though at times we begged and pleaded to share a table. Since the tables were close we had no problem interacting with others once it seemed right.

Entertainment and Activities:

Overall this was good. I prefer live band and disco to the usual musicals but enjoyed some of the comedy shows. We saw the comedy show with Kevin Jordon who thought my tan was a result of lack of sunscreen..hahaha! My focus and attention was around the lounge with the bands or the disco. Dancing was a concern for me. I read Princess was not your shake you booty, drop it like it's hot ship. However one is only limited by their determination. I decided since I eat when there is food, I shall dance when there is music. I met a few others with the same mind set, so we met at our favorite lounge, listened to the band, took our heels off and danced. I danced as if no one was watching. Not because I am good at it or because I was drunk (you would think so sometimes). It’s a reminder of how fortunate I was for celebrating my 15th wedding anniversary, what’s left of my health (2 heart surgeries at 31), my wonderful MIL who was watching my kids, and my upcoming cruise to Alaska on the Golden Princess with the kids. Theme Night in the Disco: All Request, Dance through the decades 70's, 80's and new millennium, Old Skool Hip Hop, 70's, 80's &90, Top 40/POP. Also the smooth sounds of Odysea and Passion. Go and let the music move, it did me. However I would have liked more music by the pool. I enjoyed the ice carving, volleyball and battle of the sexes cocktail contest. Due to bad weather and lack of volunteers they canceled the Mr Sexy Leg contest...Boo Hoo!

Excursions: We planned all our excursion on our own;

Puerto Vallarta: We hired a van, outside the port gate, with another couple ($25 pp) for an 4 hour city tour. This included a trip to the Tequila Factory. It was informative and the guys tend to enjoy their Tequila demonstrations. They are ‘forced’ to share different kinds of Tequila. To show respect for their job I painfully joined in the ritual. One Tequila, Two Tequilas, Three Tequilas.........FLOOR. Not all Tequilas are created equal, which I knew this in college

Mazatlan: My favorite trip. We hired a pulmonia/cab (25 pp) for a city and shopping tour. We traveled to old town Mazatlan and visited the Cathedral, market place, saw the cliff divers, watched school kids march in a parade and most importantly met people who did not make a living selling/catering to tourists.

Cabo San Lucas: This was a short day in port. I booked a whale watching tour online with Pez Gato lasting from 10-12:30 ($35 pp). This was our first whale watching trip and was not disappointed. It was absolutely fantastic. We decided on a catamaran over the Zodiac for comfort. We research and plan our land excursion using tripadvisor. There is a wealth of information from people who know and love theses places beyond the ports.

Must try:

Try the grill pork chops at Savoy....yummy. Afternoon tea is a total delight. This is not merely having tea.. The service is classy and highlight some of the elegance Princess is known for. Take a stab at anytime dining. It has it draws back in terms of service, but the benefit of being in control of when you eat is a major plus. To start your day have a cup of coffee by the aft pool. If you believe in a higher power you will feel his presence, if not you will experience a wondrous view. Don’t forget the champagne waterfall on the second formal night.

Thank You:

Thank to those you answered my questions and provided me with the information that made this trip one of the best I had. In return I took pictures of rooms in all many of the categories. The link is currently under my signature. I will post them in a thread so other can search and use the information. I am a ‘promiscuous cruiser’ so while I am delighted with Princess, who knows who I wil sail with next. Well next will be the Golden Princess to Alaska.

Upcoming Booked Family Vacation:

Riviera Maya: Grand Sunset Princess Resort- June 2009

Alaska: Golden Princess - August 2009

Possible for 2010

Jamaica - Sunset Jamaica Grand and Couples San Souci

Sapphire Princess or RCCL Mariner of the Seas

Drive along the coast to San Fransisco

Kooljamming, thank you so much for your report. We sail on the Sapphire next month. We have sailed her once before. We have sailed on her sister the Diamond twice. Lovely ships! The Golden was nice as well, but smaller and a bit older. Princess is our line of choice by far. We have our first Suite this time. We are pretty excited...Sounds like you had a wonderful time. In a couple more years it will just be hubby and me sailing. Our youngest is 16, and we do not take them on vacation after they are 18:cool: Our oldest is 23 and she is a teacher. It was fun reading your report and remembering the good times. By the way! Love your tan! LOL..I wish I could get my dh to dance...not so much! :rolleyes: LPT

Oh Great pictures too! You sure look like you were having a great time! LPT:D

For many reasons I thought that I wouldn't enjoy this trip. One being leaving the kids for the first time and just trying something different, starting with anytime dining. It was a great change and now I am really looking forward to this summer. I have given crazy thoughts to canceling our return trip to Playa Del Carmen and upgrading to the balcony. DH doesn't dance as much, it's more the obligatory one or two. I like the idea of not taking kids on vacation after 18. In Mexico and Jamaica, where we do our land vacations, the drinking age is 18. I always tell my son at 18 you are paying your way so who am I to say. I don't think he is buying it:D

Pauline,

Very nice review. My wife and I were on that ship for two weeks. Feb 07-21 and had a great time. I remember seeing you around the ship. I'm a newbie to cruisecritic, but maybe next time we can share a cocktail at Crooners!

Happy sailing!

Robert

:)

Hi Pauline...great review, thanks for the effort and on March 7th, I will stand on what was your balcony and raise a rum and coke to you as DW and I have E732 as well...small world isn't it ? BTW ....you looked smokin' in the Grey dress with the white wrap.

Hi Pauline...great review, thanks for the effort and on March 7th, I will stand on what was your balcony and raise a rum and coke to you as DW and I have E732 as well...small world isn't it ? BTW ....you looked smokin' in the Grey dress with the white wrap.

Say you will dance to the sound of the waves. To you get you ready in the mean time...enjoy!

http://travel.webshots.com/video/3009814900101627832Ryrtyz

Hi Pauline,

Great review! Having recently been on the Diamond I can relate to many things on your review although we did have our children with us. I especially love your words about your cabin....this has inspired me to also try to book this particular cabin on future cruises.

Regards,

Peter

Hi Pauline,

Great review! Having recently been on the Diamond I can relate to many things on your review although we did have our children with us. I especially love your words about your cabin....this has inspired me to also try to book this particular cabin on future cruises.

Regards,

Peter

Here is a link to what you will enjoy:

http://travel.webshots.com/video/3009814900101627832Ryrtyz

Now for the hot topics, what I did and noticed:

Dress Code: On formal night everyone in the MDR was nicely dressed however very few wore tuxs. A few were without jacket but like DH could have removed it once seated. Smart Casual meant no shorts because I saw everything else on the those nights. I chose to dress a bit more formal but DH wore slacks and polo shirts. Majority of the passengers followed the recommended dress code.

Alcohol: We took on a bottle of my favorite drink in our suit case, Bahama Mama and DH a small bottle of Jack Daniels. We enjoyed this in the cabin because getting to a bar and taking a drink back would have been a pain. In the lounges we bought our usual drinks to enjoy while watching the entertainment. In Puerta Vallarta we went to the Tequila Factory and bought several bottles of Tequila to to take back home. After being scanned there was no one interested in taking them from us. I was looking because I was hoping to avoid a trip all the way back to the cabin before going to lunch.

Soda Card:

DH thought this was better than the ultimate breafast since we were right above Horizon Court. Yes, I shared his drinks a few times, more out of habbit than true thirst. The waiters in the MDR often took us two sodas without us even asking. I am not a soda drinker so really no big deal.

Tipping:

We left the auto tip on and tipped the steward a bit extra. Anytime dining didn't present the true opportunity for extra tipping because this is something I do at the end of my vacation.

Overall observation:

The debate of what will happen is more important to some CC posters than to Princess. I am convinced there is nothing we have thought about that Princess hasn't factored in. They are smart enough to run and maintain one of the most beautiful ship I have ever seen. I trust some will let the bartenders, waiters, Maitre D, security scanners, and overall Princess organization do their job, but still take the time to share how wonderful the ship and experience can be. I learned no matter what is said, or what kind of vacation someone else has, it won't necessarily be mine. I guess this is why there is a Personlizer on the Princess page. There is a way to create a great vacation that is uniquely yours.

BTW, first vacation that DH and I enjoyed equally:D

Hi Pauline: nice review; we were on the Sapphire on a B 2 B in Jan & wrote about some things too. We agree w/ you about music & dancing there are many places one can dance til the hearts content. The place we liked most was watching, listening & dancing to Phoenix Rising in the Wheelhouse. A very versatile band that played to whatever in order to please people in the lounge.

• 8 months later...
Background: I am often curious about who the reviewers are and most important what prompt them to take a particular vacation. So, we are a couple in our mid forties (Me 44) and early fifties (DH 50). We have sailed with RCCL on several occasions and most recently with Carnival. Since this was our first vacation without our kids (ages 10 and 13) we were seeking a different experience from our most recent with Carnival, which we actually enjoyed. We would have gone with RCCL our favorite (maybe until now) but they were not in our home port on our dates. Frankly we have second guessed sailing Princess because of the reputation of catering to the old. Well, I found out that the ‘old’ was people our age, so we quickly got over that and jumped on-board.

Meet and Greet: Our meet and greet was at the aft pool shortly after the muster drill. I had the opportunity to meet some really wonderful people. While this was a great location, it was chosen by the staff for the sail away party. Starting the cruise at the meet and greet provided me with familiar faces around the ship.

Cabin: We got to our cabin, aft E732, and was immediately impress with the view from the back of the ship. Having this cabin turn out to be a vacation within itself. We booked it on on line.. We started out with a inside guarantee but for only a few hundreds more was able to cancel and re-book after a price drop and final payment. This cabin gave an incredible view and also the magnificent sounds of the waves. It also provided protection from the wind on sea and windy days. We often slept with the cabin door open to be lulled asleep by the waterfall effects of the waves. On the last day I spent most of the day on the balcony. It’s was a blessed feeling to watch the waves while listening to my favorite song, Let it Be, by John Lennon. As the trip came to a close it was like leaving a good friend and thinking When Will I See You Again.. So cabin E732, thanks for the memories. You provided the setting to enjoy the Beatles, sing along with my favorite hymns and rock to my favorite pop stars, sometimes all before noon.

Ship: The Sapphire Princess is a ship of sheer beauty. I was amazed by her beauty and elegance but not overwhelm by it. The decor emphasis style and class. I am often in a rush to get from point A to B but this ship gave me a reason to slow down and take notice. I often see beautiful things yet moving on to admire another and another. On Princess I saw the same thing several times and continued to be amazed. Around every corner there was a small detail that got my attention. My feet wanted to move forward but my eyes kept holding me back, along with meeting great staff and passengers. Every trip back to the cabin I felt it necessary to take the long way (kinda easy since I was aft). There was always something worth admiring of simply appreciating one more time. I felt Princess tried to provide a magnificent sailing instrument without the need for a mall or theme park effect. I was truly impress and thought if I ever dreamed of a great ship this would be the one. It’s about beauty , attention to detail and elegance.

Food:

I do not go on these vacation expecting gourmet or 5 star dining. My first meal in Santa Fe dining room was a huge disappointment. I don’t need fancy but I know what a decent meal is suppose to taste like. I know from reading reviews that many had enjoyed the meals, therefore this must have been a fluke. Gladly for the rest of our trip, the food from MDR to the buffet’s midnight snacks, either met or surpassed my expectation. I found some of the food in the buffet to be as good if not better than a few in the MDR. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet ( never quite got over the maze of Horizon Court) a meal I usually miss. I thought at times too much effort went into providing ‘gourmet’ flare in the MDR. I don’t mind having simple food that is prepared and presented well. I liked the setting of the main dining room for lunch but often stopped by the buffet to see what was fun on the menu. We had all of our dinners in the MDR because an evening gown at the buffet might appear a tad over dressed.

Anytime Dining

I read and worried and went back and forth on how this would work. I wanted traditional dining but ended up on the wait list. I decided to give this a try, without the hassle of making reservations. I did anytime dining by showing up anytime to eat. To my delight I really liked eating this way. To avoid hunger pangs and frustration if I had to wait, I decided to be there a few minutes before I was ready to eat. I only had to wait once, which was on formal night. Knowing this might happen we went ahead and took our formal pictures. We were told the wait would have been 45 minutes but it turned out to be only half that time. The service was noticeable slower and not as attentive with anytime dining. You are being served by a different person each night. For the most part we were seated at table for 2, though at times we begged and pleaded to share a table. Since the tables were close we had no problem interacting with others once it seemed right.

Entertainment and Activities:

Overall this was good. I prefer live band and disco to the usual musicals but enjoyed some of the comedy shows. We saw the comedy show with Kevin Jordon who thought my tan was a result of lack of sunscreen..hahaha! My focus and attention was around the lounge with the bands or the disco. Dancing was a concern for me. I read Princess was not your shake you booty, drop it like it's hot ship. However one is only limited by their determination. I decided since I eat when there is food, I shall dance when there is music. I met a few others with the same mind set, so we met at our favorite lounge, listened to the band, took our heels off and danced. I danced as if no one was watching. Not because I am good at it or because I was drunk (you would think so sometimes). It’s a reminder of how fortunate I was for celebrating my 15th wedding anniversary, what’s left of my health (2 heart surgeries at 31), my wonderful MIL who was watching my kids, and my upcoming cruise to Alaska on the Golden Princess with the kids. Theme Night in the Disco: All Request, Dance through the decades 70's, 80's and new millennium, Old Skool Hip Hop, 70's, 80's &90, Top 40/POP. Also the smooth sounds of Odysea and Passion. Go and let the music move, it did me. However I would have liked more music by the pool. I enjoyed the ice carving, volleyball and battle of the sexes cocktail contest. Due to bad weather and lack of volunteers they canceled the Mr Sexy Leg contest...Boo Hoo!

Excursions: We planned all our excursion on our own;

Puerto Vallarta: We hired a van, outside the port gate, with another couple ($25 pp) for an 4 hour city tour. This included a trip to the Tequila Factory. It was informative and the guys tend to enjoy their Tequila demonstrations. They are ‘forced’ to share different kinds of Tequila. To show respect for their job I painfully joined in the ritual. One Tequila, Two Tequilas, Three Tequilas.........FLOOR. Not all Tequilas are created equal, which I knew this in college

Mazatlan: My favorite trip. We hired a pulmonia/cab (25 pp) for a city and shopping tour. We traveled to old town Mazatlan and visited the Cathedral, market place, saw the cliff divers, watched school kids march in a parade and most importantly met people who did not make a living selling/catering to tourists.

Cabo San Lucas: This was a short day in port. I booked a whale watching tour online with Pez Gato lasting from 10-12:30 ($35 pp). This was our first whale watching trip and was not disappointed. It was absolutely fantastic. We decided on a catamaran over the Zodiac for comfort. We research and plan our land excursion using tripadvisor. There is a wealth of information from people who know and love theses places beyond the ports.

Must try:

Try the grill pork chops at Savoy....yummy. Afternoon tea is a total delight. This is not merely having tea.. The service is classy and highlight some of the elegance Princess is known for. Take a stab at anytime dining. It has it draws back in terms of service, but the benefit of being in control of when you eat is a major plus. To start your day have a cup of coffee by the aft pool. If you believe in a higher power you will feel his presence, if not you will experience a wondrous view. Don’t forget the champagne waterfall on the second formal night.

Thank You:

Thank to those you answered my questions and provided me with the information that made this trip one of the best I had. In return I took pictures of rooms in all many of the categories. The link is currently under my signature. I will post them in a thread so other can search and use the information. I am a ‘promiscuous cruiser’ so while I am delighted with Princess, who knows who I wil sail with next. Well next will be the Golden Princess to Alaska.

Upcoming Booked Family Vacation:

Riviera Maya: Grand Sunset Princess Resort- June 2009

Alaska: Golden Princess - August 2009

Possible for 2010

Jamaica - Sunset Jamaica Grand and Couples San Souci

Sapphire Princess or RCCL Mariner of the Seas

Drive along the coast to San Fransisco

Would like a little info on your Whale Watching tour with Pez Gato. Do you need a group to book with him or can we (2) book with him without having a group? Any other info would be appreciated!!:p

Hot2Travel -- We are on the Feb. 13th cruise on the Sapphire. Thanks for the review, very helpful. While we have not cruised here before, we were in Cabo in Feb. 2008 and took the Pez Gato catamaran whale watching tour. Excellent!! While you are never guaranteed seeing one, our crew found 2 right away and we followed them through the entire trip.

We booked at our hotel by ourselves and not as a group; so I would assume that you can also. Although, I can't be sure how this works off a cruise ship.

By the way, the Pez Gato boats are docked very close to where the cruise ship tenders come in.

Enjoy!!

Archived