Is it worth spending time in Dover?

24Alaska

We'll be arriving in Dover from a Transatlantic cruise and plan to spend 3 days in London before flying home. Is it worth spending a few hours in Dover before heading to London on the train? I see there are some short boat and bus tours. Are they worthwhile?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Off the top of my head, I think that the only thing in Dover itself that could be recommended is Dover Castle.

However, if you do that, you'll have to work out what to do with your luggage.

IMHO, in the circumstances I would almost certainly just jump on the train and go to London to get settled in. The time you don't spend looking at Dover Castle can be spent looking at something else in London. You're never going to see everything anyway.

Dover is not a particularly interesting place - it is sandwiched between the docks and the cliff. I would strongly suggest getting to London as quickly as you can, and spending as much time as you can there. Dover Castle, though of historical significance, is not worth the time...

Thanks, I've been to London 15+ times and was just hoping for something interesting in Dover :) I guess I'll just play it by ear, but most likely I'll just take the train into London and enjoy my 3 days there.

Dover is in Kent County and there are many wonderful things to see and do nearby. Go to the Visit Kent website for more information. I, too, have spent much time in London and this trip will enjoy seeing and taking my grandaughters to see more of Kent. I enjoy Dover Castle, Penshurst [the home of the Sidney family], Tonbridge Wells [ an early spa town], Canterbury, Leeds Castle - just to name a few. Enjoy!

Archived