Do you smoke on a cruise?

LadyShiva

Do you smoke on a cruise (cigars, cigarettes, or pipe)?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. Do you smoke on a cruise (cigars, cigarettes, or pipe)?

• Yes.
    • Sometimes.
    • Never.
    • Other, because there always has to be an other.

You might want to check underage drinking and/ or alcohol related accidents and their associated costs. Also you may want to check Medicare fraud. Please do your homework before you respond. Please don't pick and choose by just reading or listening to the news. Just sayin..........

I gave you a link with statistics. Where are yours? "Just sayin...." :rolleyes:

It's the thread that never ends... it just goes on and on, my friends... :eek:

I know the Barney song, too, and I'm not afraid to use it! :D

You are right! I was wrong! When I posted ...

Since more than half of the people who responded do smoke on a cruise - the poll should serve to end the debates or arguments, the name calling, etc. AND maybe even the smokin" threads. IMHO that is the best thing to come from this poll!

Alas - I have been bad and dragged into it again. Sorry. If you sing will there be a video, or just audio?

You are right! I was wrong! When I posted ...

Since more than half of the people who responded do smoke on a cruise - the poll should serve to end the debates or arguments, the name calling, etc. AND maybe even the smokin" threads. IMHO that is the best thing to come from this poll!

Alas - I have been bad and dragged into it again. Sorry. If you sing will there be a video, or just audio?

"the poll should serve to end the debates or arguments, the name calling, etc. "

Maybe I am dense, but could you explain HOW?

What the poll clearly showed beyond doubt is that more smokers than non-smokers voted. I do not see what else it shows or proves.

Non-smokers DO a bit of gratitude to smokers however for their help in keeping Social Security solvent. Their premature deaths can only help keep SS afloat awhile longer.

Just phoned the latitudes desk and they say they do NOT keep records of their own on the percentage of smokers. I know on my South American cruise on the Crown, it was an older crowd with few if any young people and almost NO smokers to be seen anywhere.

Edit - I just looked at 525 photos of that trip [-South America, Crown] that I took, including fantail shots of the sailaway party in Buenos Aires and a few bus stops on a tour in Ushuaia where it might be expected that smokers would light up if smoking is not allowed on the tour buses. I could not find a single passenger smoking in any of my own photos.

but I was just wondering if anyone has tried those electric cigarettes that don't acutually emit any real smoke?

They are supposed to be just nicotine, no tar. Also, I have just discovered (country bumpkins here) that a lot of the major brands actually go out if not smoked in a timely manner. How cool is that?

a good poll i smoke cigars and a pipe. i like nothing better on a cruise but smoking after dinner with a good cigar. it is getting harder and harder though......

not sure if the STAR has a smoking room GEM AND PEARL does according the info. i do not enjoy going out on the deck in caswe my smoke annoys anyone.

dave

"the poll should serve to end the debates or arguments, the name calling, etc. "

Maybe I am dense, but could you explain HOW?

What the poll clearly showed beyond doubt is that more smokers than non-smokers voted. I do not see what else it shows or proves.

Non-smokers DO a bit of gratitude to smokers however for their help in keeping Social Security solvent. Their premature deaths can only help keep SS afloat awhile longer.

Okay - I wasn't going to do this, but since you need an explanation of my comment I guess I'll take a minute. If 50% of the people take one side of an argument and 50% of the people take the other side of the argument, then it just doesn't make sense to fight, debate, argue, name call, etc. Rather than continue with these ridiculous posts i.e, - YAY and Just sayin's and yes, my take on some social programs being funded by cigarette taxes, we should just stop it...and agree to disagree. Smokers can stay in their areas and non-smokers in the theirs.

As a smoker who worked from the time I was 13 years old...I too have paid into the social security system, so I do not owe you one bit of gratitude for helping keep SS solvent. But - on the other hand, there are social programs which smokers do keep solvent (i.e., the expanded SCHIPS program). BTW - we just had a man die who was 101. He lived through WWI, fought for his country in WWII, worked for 50 years, raised 4 children who also work everyday, and he smoked everyday. Guess his family should apologize for the excess dollars of your SSI that were spent on him. Your idea about premature deaths helping to extend the life of the Social Security system is certainly interesting...perhaps we could use that philosophy in dealing with all our patients - smokers, diabetics, preemies, prostate cancer, leukemia, and on and on. Maybe you should give us a list of who you think is most deserving and I'll post it at the hospital. Get off your righteous soap box and stay out of the smoking area. Now I am done.

PS : Sorry LadyShiva. Fin asked and I couldn't help myself. I love you, you love me, Sing along...

Nonsmoker all my life. Some minor bronchial problems due to heavy secondhand smoke exposure as a kid. Really sensitive to smoke, but I know how hard it is for smokers to quit, so I usually remove myself from situations where there is smoke. Rarely, very, very rarely will I ask the smoker to accommodate my sensitivities.

Okay - I wasn't going to do this, but since you need an explanation of my comment I guess I'll take a minute. If 50% of the people take one side of an argument and 50% of the people take the other side of the argument, then it just doesn't make sense to fight, debate, argue, name call, etc. Rather than continue with these ridiculous posts i.e, - YAY and Just sayin's and yes, my take on some social programs being funded by cigarette taxes, we should just stop it...and agree to disagree. Smokers can stay in their areas and non-smokers in the theirs.

As a smoker who worked from the time I was 13 years old...I too have paid into the social security system, so I do not owe you one bit of gratitude for helping keep SS solvent. But - on the other hand, there are social programs which smokers do keep solvent (i.e., the expanded SCHIPS program). BTW - we just had a man die who was 101. He lived through WWI, fought for his country in WWII, worked for 50 years, raised 4 children who also work everyday, and he smoked everyday. Guess his family should apologize for the excess dollars of your SSI that were spent on him. Your idea about premature deaths helping to extend the life of the Social Security system is certainly interesting...perhaps we could use that philosophy in dealing with all our patients - smokers, diabetics, preemies, prostate cancer, leukemia, and on and on. Maybe you should give us a list of who you think is most deserving and I'll post it at the hospital. Get off your righteous soap box and stay out of the smoking area. Now I am done.

PS : Sorry LadyShiva. Fin asked and I couldn't help myself. I love you, you love me, Sing along...

"righteous soap box " ?????? Toucheeeee.

It is not my fault smoking kills.

And SSI payments do not come from Social Security funds. Never did.

"Maybe you should give us a list of who you think is most deserving"...

Our government is trying to do that just now. So all of us who smoke better get our wills in order. You can be sure we won't be a high priority.

By the way, the lady at the 7-11 told me while I was buying my carton today that prices would be going up again on April 1st; at least here in Texas. I had a $4.00 off coupon and the carton was $49.58 The majority of the price is taxes. So yeah, I think we pay our fair share before we drop dead from the habit.'

And that is my soapbox!:p

"righteous soap box " ?????? Toucheeeee.

It is not my fault smoking kills.

And SSI payments do not come from Social Security funds. Never did.

Sorry for the typo ... quite aware of the difference.

"Maybe you should give us a list of who you think is most deserving"...

Our government is trying to do that just now. So all of us who smoke better get our wills in order. You can be sure we won't be a high priority.

By the way, the lady at the 7-11 told me while I was buying my carton today that prices would be going up again on April 1st; at least here in Texas. I had a $4.00 off coupon and the carton was $49.58 The majority of the price is taxes. So yeah, I think we pay our fair share before we drop dead from the habit.'

And that is my soapbox!:p

And I read on MSN this morning that in addition to the 61 cent federal increase, Marlboro is going to raise their pack price another 71 cents because they are counting on losing smokers from the tax hike...go figure. Maybe we'll have to start rolling our own!

And I read on MSN this morning that in addition to the 61 cent federal increase, Marlboro is going to raise their pack price another 71 cents because they are counting on losing smokers from the tax hike...go figure. Maybe we'll have to start rolling our own!

.....or know a "guy" in the nearest city who sells them from his trunk for 15.00 a carton.

Well.. aren't you sweet! .. And on that cruise, I'll know who I can bum a ciggie from. :D

Ya'll must be close.:) If anyone at work who has "quit smoking" trys to bum another cig from me, well...it won't be pretty.:(

Ya'll must be close.:) If anyone at work who has "quit smoking" trys to bum another cig from me, well...it won't be pretty.:(

Just use this technique...tell them that since the price went up drastically you'll have to charge them $1.00 a smoke. You'll either pay for that pack quickly - or they will quit.

Maybe we'll have to start rolling our own!

Forget that, at least if you live in MD. DH and I have been doing exactly that for the last year. We refuse to play a part ( or donate our money) in the BS that is thrown out there about them raising taxes on smokes to put the money into programs to help smokers quit. It's such a lie....they love the revenue they get from cigarette taxes, and states would go broke if everyone quit tomorrow.

Back to the topic of rolling your own. We were informed at our local tobacco store yesterday that in MD beginning April 1st, a new tax is going to be imposed on bulk tobacco. $32 for a 1 lb bag. So that takes the bag from it's current $18 price to $50 bucks. But oh yeah, I fogot...it's to help me quit. LOL

Guess it's back to the internet and the Indian reservations for me. Gotta love the American Indians. Very ingenius, hard working, independant people. They were so terribly abused by the white man who came here and stole their land, then tried to atone by giving them some of the worst land in the US. But they're making up for it now by telling the US governement to kiss their butts. They won't release the names of any of their customers that buy cigarettes by mail from them. It's steaming the US govt for sure but there's not a darned thing they can do about it. :)

CG

Archived