No bare shoulders?

Does that mean tube tops and spaghetti straps or would this include sleeveless dresses too? I had planned to wear a sleeveless dress while touring Rome.:eek:

For St Peter's you must have some sort of sleeve. If you want to wear a sleeveless dress, you could just carry a scarf with you and pop it on when you get there.

Yep, covered knees and shoulders applies to everyone, even kids, and does mean covered. Try not to have anything in between showing either (bare midriffs). A scarf, a light sweater, tour maps can all be used in a pinch if necessary. Pants with zip off legs so you can have shorts or long pants work great on those hot days, you can zip the legs on for going into churches and off again for going out in the heat. For some Greek churches, women need to be in skirts, not pants, so check ahead. And now I'm sure we'll hear from some people who got away with shorter skirts and shorts and sleeveless tops, but these are churches so please be respectful of that when you go in.

Definitely no bare arms/shoulders at the Vatican. They search you when you go in and you will be turned away. I saw many people not admitted when I was there. I would say err on the side of caution and toss a sweater in your back pack or around your waist.

A pashmina scarf comes in handy while touring; you can use it as a head scarf, or if you need to cover arms/shoulders, tie the fringe at both ends so that it is snug at your wrists and you can wear it like a long sleeved shrug.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Definitely no bare arms/shoulders at the Vatican. They search you when you go in and you will be turned away. I saw many people not admitted when I was there. I would say err on the side of caution and toss a sweater in your back pack or around your waist.

We were discussing that no knees or shoulders were to be uncovered. But now a couple of messages have said no 'arms'. Please clarify. Is it just the shoulder area that has to be covered, or do we need to cover more of the arm?

Carol iN NZ

Whoever mentioned the pants at churches, can you elaborate. Where in Rome can you NOT go in pants?

thanks

I think that post was in regards to some Greek churches -- for example, I know some of the monasteries at Meteora require a skirt for women.

I think that post was in regards to some Greek churches -- for example, I know some of the monasteries at Meteora require a skirt for women.

Ok...for the geographically challenged...that is not Rome..right..:o

I used to say "beauty not brains"...but it's all over now..:(

:D

My GF used to cxary a scarf and a wrap and a 2 safety pins during our tour of Italy a few years back. Everytime we got near a churche she would pull em out of her purse and make the warp into a long skirt the scarf into a shawl and presto instant chuche get up! :D

Archived