mayan ruins excursion out of Progresso Mexico

No question...Uxmal!!

The largest collection of intricate stone carved buildings...really amazing.

Was part of a big write up on the Mayan's in National Geographic a few years ago.

I have tons of pics in my signature...use the link for pictures titled "Fantasy Fugitives".

:cool:

has anyone taken the mayan ruins excursion out of Progresso Mexico? first timer leaving out of Galveston on June 13th thanks

A lot of people on the Progreso board under Ports of Call recommend Autoprogreso. http://www.autoprogreso.com/trips.html.htm

My understanding is that you just find them when you get off the ship, and you book it then. I don't think they book ahead of time, but you can contact them to find out.

You should check out the Progreso board under Ports of Call for better information.

We took the Chichen Itza tour through Carnival last September. It was not to be missed, and I am glad that we went. Some of the pictures we took were fantastic.

On the down side, I was so disappointed that they allowed all the peddlers inside the park site, pushy ones at that. It was so sad not to be allowed to soak up the atmosphere without being constantly hassled.

Also, the trip got back too late to make the early dinner seating. Small price to pay though.

BTW, don't eat the sandwich they give you on the coach - none of the food is kept cold.

Jim

If you enjoy large crowds and following groups in long lines, then Chitzen Itza is the Mayan excursion for you...

(on our cruise they packed 4 LARGE busses going to Chitzen Itza and started boarding a 5th, before our group of 12 loaded up for Uxmal.)

EVERYBODY has heard of Chitzen Itza, so it is always packed.

We chose Uxmal, to avoid the crowds and were NOT disappointed.

At Uxmal, unlike at Chitzen Itza, very little is roped off.

You are able to walk up, through and on most of the area.

I think when we were there it was our group of 12 and a group of 8 or so German tourists and another small group of 4 or 5.

It is about the same distance as Chitzen Itza. (maybe slightly closer)

If you want the Disney World type of Mayan Experience, Chitzen Itza is it.

If you want to actually touch, climb and explore, I recommend Uxmal.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had been able to talk my group into going to Uxmal instead of Chichen Itza. Chichen was nice enough, but the bus ride took forever, and seemed to cut into the time were were able to spend looking around and taking pictures. We were only at the site for about an hour and a half, and we were still late getting back to the ship. I also recommend taking some snacks with you in a day bag. Our packed lunches consisted of a laughably tiny sandwich, some crazy mexican chips that are supposed to taste like french fries (gross), and a banana. I ate the banana and was grateful that I nabbed a small box of lucky charms that morning. We all ordered room service as soon as we got back to the ship.

There's no way anyone is going to talk me into another long bus ride next time I'm in Progreso. I'm voting for either going to Uxmal or one of the closer ruins that allow you to swim in the cenotes.

• 5 weeks later...

My partner and I went to Chichen Itza last March. It was amazing! He really gets into that stuff and I just went for him not thinking i would like it, but once we were there, I loved it!! and the guide from the bus made it that much better! I mean it's one of the seven wonders of the world!!! Def recommend it!!

We will be in Progreso on May 4th with the Fantasy. I have figured out that I want to visit Uxmal while we are there. From what I have read it is great. However, I still want to have a little time to get a quick look at Progreso and do a little shopping.

I am know that Uxmal will take almost all of our time. We are scheduled to arrive at 7am and leave at 4pm. All of the reviews of Dzbulchan seem to be positive. What is there to see besides the one landmark building that is in every photo? I know it would give us a taste of Mayan ruins but is it worth it?

We will be in Progreso on May 4th with the Fantasy. I have figured out that I want to visit Uxmal while we are there. From what I have read it is great. However, I still want to have a little time to get a quick look at Progreso and do a little shopping.

I am know that Uxmal will take almost all of our time. We are scheduled to arrive at 7am and leave at 4pm. All of the reviews of Dzbulchan seem to be positive. What is there to see besides the one landmark building that is in every photo? I know it would give us a taste of Mayan ruins but is it worth it?

BamaBill- they have a really nice museum of Mayan history included with the ruins. There is a cenote that people swim in. I have been to Dzibilchaltun twice with AutoProgreso and it is well worth visiting. If you go with AutoProgreso, the tour guide is Mayan and will give you an exceptional tour.

Since it is a shorter distance to get to than Uxmal, you would still have time to do some shopping. I think the Dzibilchaltun tour leaves later in the morning, so you would have time to take the $2 tour around Progreso and do some walking around before heading to the ruins.

Thanks for the info about the Mayan ruins. I still don't know which one to chose: Dizbul. or Uxmal. I hate to be a bus for 3hours total when I could be experiencing things in Progresso. Will have to think on it more and maybe make a decision there in port.

Thanks for the info about the Mayan ruins. I still don't know which one to chose: Dizbul. or Uxmal. I hate to be a bus for 3hours total when I could be experiencing things in Progresso. Will have to think on it more and maybe make a decision there in port.

We did Dizbul this past Monday and it was pretty good. My two boys (6&7) had a great time climbing on the ruins and swimming in the sink hole. My wife really liked the tour too.

We didn't get off the ship until about 9:30. When we arrived at the market where the shuttle bus dropped us off we booked the tour to Dizbul. He said the tour would leave at 10:15. We paid $77.00 for my family of four's tour to Dizbul. It was $29 per adult and $19 for one of the kids (they let one go for free).

While we waited wondered around the market for a bit and I bought some bottles of water that were two for a dollar to take on the tour. Then I noticed an internet cafe right across the street. I asked the lady how much it cost and she said it was $1.00 for an hour. My wife wanted to check her email so she did. She said the internet was fast and worked great.

When she finished, we boarded the tour bus and headed to Dizbul. It took about 25 minutes to get there. We toured the ruins for a little over an hour and then made our way to the cenote for a swim. If you didn't want to swim you could wonder about on your own (visit the museum or whatever). We took a dip in the cool water for about 45 minutes and then headed back to the entrance where there is a giftshop.

The tour bus left Diz at about 1:15. We were back in the market by 2:00 which left us about an hour to browse and shop before catching a shuttle back to the ship. There is a nice shopping area right at the dock too so you could shop there but we decided to shop in town.

We had to be back on the ship by 3:30 (four o'clock sailing) and we were able to do all of the stuff we wanted to do (tour + shopping).

Thanks for the great report about Dizbul and Progreso. Sounds like your family had a good day there. That may be the plan will do, Dizbul and around town shopping and exploring. I am concerned about the longer tour to Uxmal using up all of our time. Maybe we will come to this port again and see what we didn't see this time.

• 4 weeks later...
We did Dizbul this past Monday and it was pretty good. My two boys (6&7) had a great time climbing on the ruins and swimming in the sink hole. My wife really liked the tour too.

We didn't get off the ship until about 9:30. When we arrived at the market where the shuttle bus dropped us off we booked the tour to Dizbul. He said the tour would leave at 10:15. We paid $77.00 for my family of four's tour to Dizbul. It was $29 per adult and $19 for one of the kids (they let one go for free).

While we waited wondered around the market for a bit and I bought some bottles of water that were two for a dollar to take on the tour. Then I noticed an internet cafe right across the street. I asked the lady how much it cost and she said it was $1.00 for an hour. My wife wanted to check her email so she did. She said the internet was fast and worked great.

When she finished, we boarded the tour bus and headed to Dizbul. It took about 25 minutes to get there. We toured the ruins for a little over an hour and then made our way to the cenote for a swim. If you didn't want to swim you could wonder about on your own (visit the museum or whatever). We took a dip in the cool water for about 45 minutes and then headed back to the entrance where there is a giftshop.

The tour bus left Diz at about 1:15. We were back in the market by 2:00 which left us about an hour to browse and shop before catching a shuttle back to the ship. There is a nice shopping area right at the dock too so you could shop there but we decided to shop in town.

We had to be back on the ship by 3:30 (four o'clock sailing) and we were able to do all of the stuff we wanted to do (tour + shopping).

That is exactly what I was looking for when I peeked in here! DH and are considering the DB tour and beach break through Carnival. But it looks cheaper to just get off the ship and do it that way! THANK you so very much for the helpful info !!!

• 2 weeks later...

We have visited Uxmal, Chichen Itza, and Tulum. Our favorite ruin is Uxmal. If you visit Uxmal then you will have time to stop and shop at the downtown market in Merida. That was a great experience! There are many more tourists and vendors at Chichen Itza than Uxmal. We hired a private tour and didn't go through the ship since we wanted to be on our own. We guide was aware of how much time we could spend at Uxmal since we wanted to shop in Merida.

• 1 month later...

Could you give me some info on your tour. Where did you book it and how many were in your party?

I want to see Merida and Uxmal but was afraid there would not be enough time for both.

Thanks!:)

Forget the beach. I'm wanting to go to Merida and see one of the ruins. I guess it is much easier timewise to go to DZ and save uxmal for another trip as seeing Merida is at the top of my list. It looks like just in driving time it would take over 4 hours to go from Progresso to Merida to uxmal and then back. With over 4 hours on the road (if nothing bad happens) and saying I'd spend a good two and a half hours in Uxmal. Round the time up to 7 hours for just that part of the trip. That would not leave nery much time to see Merida. I keep doing this and realize everytime that it would be too tight, then I read that someone did it and I'd like to know how they made it happen.

• 4 weeks later...

I am leary of booking outside of Carnival only because there is a chance of missing the boat on the longer excursions.

I know the long bus ride eats up port time, and if I only had one port I would skip it. When my May 11th cruise was moved to Bahamas from Mexico, I was most upset that I would be missing out on the ruins.

I want to see a stunning example of a Mayan ruin. From what I read Uxmal and Itza are the best, but Itza has many negatives that Uxmal doesn't have. But Itza is a wonder of the world so it must be "grander".

This is a hard decision, though I am leaning towards Uxmal.

• 5 years later...