Need to lose before I cruise... any buddies??

CarissaH330

Happy Monday all!

It's so nice to see all the people posting on here!

Jessica... what days are you looking at for your 2nd cruise?? Do you know where you want to go?? I had my 2nd cruise booked before we got back from the 1st one too! And now I have my 3rd picked out for my birthday next year.

Lois... you should give WW a try for a while. The hardest thing to understand for people I think is that your body needs calories in order for you to lose weight. If you don't feed it, it goes into starvation mode and clings on to the calories you do eat and turns them into fat. I promise you... WW wouldn't give you the points to eat if they were going to make you gain. It is truly amazing how that program works as long as you are true to the program. And the best thing is, you can eat whatever you want... as long as you follow the guidelines. It truly is a portion control program. Just my opinion :)

Well I didn't do to shabby today food wise. Had 2 mini bagels for breakfast this morning and a Lean Cuisine for lunch. Went and picked up a rotisserie chicken from Sam's for dinner and dad is cutting it up now. Lean Cuisine's are on sale at Wal-mart right now, so after dinner I'm gonna go stock up. I'm not really into the frozen lunch thing, but they'll be ok for a while. My throat has been bothering me the last few days so some orange sherbert sounds good for dessert!

Hope everyone had a great day!

Carissa :)

DeAnna here, I didn't do to bad with eating today (I did have some ice-cream to night). My DD and I went and worked out (my legs are hurting). I hate the fact that I love ice-cream and have it in the house (my DH bought it for us - nice of him right). Glad to see we have lots of support for each other, I sure need it. I'll try to log-on everynight and up-date what I've done for the day, it's a good way to stay on track.

Carissa,

I am looking to go to the Bahamas during May of 2010. I need to leave out of Galvestong, but the Carnival Website does not have summer months of 2010 up yet.:mad:...

It is just a waiting game but I am not a very patient person;)

Lois--I think the main thing is be patient and forgiving...You need to find the plan that will work for you..There is no point in suffering through a diet that you will absolutely hate and you may not even lose the weight. Maybe you should give it a whirl and see what happens..I have tried weight watcher and was not pleased but my mom and sister both lost over 60 pounds with WW.:(

I think as long as we can express our frustrations and figure out a plan of action together, we can beat this weight thing.

Jessica

Carissa, thanks for the reply.:) During the work day there is no

way I will remember to eat everything they say you have to eat.

5 or 6 pieces of fruit every day? It will be mid morning before

I even remember to eat 1.

I am not hungry all the time:eek:

Seamare, you are not alone. I have never been disciplined.

If I may quote you:

"why are some people more motivated and able to stick to it than others"?

Who knows?

Maybe I just need to do this on my own...I really know how

to eat healthy...I just need to do it. And I have never liked

the gym and never been a member of one...maybe I need to

find a treadmill for the home.

Carissa,

I am looking to go to the Bahamas during May of 2010. I need to leave out of Galvestong, but the Carnival Website does not have summer months of 2010 up yet.:mad:...

It is just a waiting game but I am not a very patient person;)

Lois--I think the main thing is be patient and forgiving...You need to find the plan that will work for you..There is no point in suffering through a diet that you will absolutely hate and you may not even lose the weight. Maybe you should give it a whirl and see what happens..I have tried weight watcher and was not pleased but my mom and sister both lost over 60 pounds with WW.:(

I think as long as we can express our frustrations and figure out a plan of action together, we can beat this weight thing.

Jessica

Hi Jessica,:) thanks for the reply. Oh, I know lots of folks

who have lost on WW.

I guess I am just not disciplined enough because they said

you have to eat 5 fruits a day...no way will I remember to do that....

And 6 glasses of liquids.

I think I just need to do it on my own..maybe with some

friends from here:);)

I also was on WW several years ago. Almost 10 years already???? Wow, I know it was right before I got married and that will be 10 years this year. I thought then I was at my heaviest weight until now. I have gained so much weight since I got married and it is time to stop now. I know I need more will power and some motivation to exercise. I do not want to join WW again and don't want to spend money on a gym so I am going it alone...well the with support and help of you fine ladies. This can be our own cruise critic weight watchers!! I will weigh in again on Friday and let you know how I did this week.

Again, tonight I didn't exercise but I did do some housework so at least I wasn't just sitting around doing nothing all night!! I have to drag my treadmill up from the basement and then I can at least walk on it while I watch TV. The best motivation is actually losing some pounds to start so I am hopeful to do that and it will kick start me into doing some good and having some will power!!! A co-worker of mine started on a weight loss challenge and she has now lost 23 lbs since the beginning of the year!! She is do discplined at not eating junk!!!!

So for me Monday was just okay. I didn't snack a whole lot but I also didn't exercise. Oh and one of my other goals is to drink more water everyday. I bought a big 34 oz water jug and my goal is to drink one of those a day (I am not much of a water drinker). I am at about 1/2 of it so far.

My name is Marsha and I am from Cincinnati, Ohio. I am 56 and work full time in a school finance office. We leave for Bermuda on 8/2/09 (out of NYC).

I need to lose at least 80 pounds. I had knee replacement surgery last year and it really helped with one knee but the other one needs to be done.

I am trying to work out on our elliptical trainer because actual walking hurts my bad knee much more.

I am just trying to eat healthy - similar to a diabetes diet. I have cut out sweets altogether for Lent. No deserts, candy, cookies. I still eat natural sugar such as in fruit and do not worry if prepared foods contain some sugar.

Baby steps for a giant sized problem...oh well, every day is the first day of the rest of our lives.

My problem is that I am a stress eater. Food comforts me if I am upset. I also think I am somewhat of a food addict. I cannot eat just one cookie - I just keep going. So I really need to just eliminate any foods that I cannot stop on. Never happens with carrot sticks, though!

Good luck to everyone! We all know it is a lifelong habit we need to create to eat healthy and exercise. (wow what an original statement!)

weighted tonight and i lost 7.3lbs! just broke through my plateau. my wife was down a couple too. we are doing pretty good. we aim to cheat once a month but it usually ends up two or three times. our work provides us with a full gym with certified trainers. so we have been taking advantage of that. we both went 20 times in febuary. i have a trainer on monday and wensday and she has hers on tuesday and thursday. then we do cadio on the days our trainers arent killin us.

i thought taking this cruise would give me a motivational advantage. my best friend which is my biggest competitor in our biggest losser just booked a vegas vacation and i can see the fire in his eyes now. so its time to dig alittle deeper i guess. :p

Marsha,

Welcome, You can do it!! Just stay strong and take care of yourself and your knee. If you hurt your knee even worse, you will not be able to enjoy your cruise!!;)

Sweets is my downfall, I absolutely love CHOCOLATE!!!!!! Luckily there is diet chocolate, otherwise I would probably would have gone off of my diet by now!!!

Jessica

Hey all! Haven't been so bad so far today. I was dumb and forgot my lunch, so I went over to the grocery store and they had some chicken tortilla soup... one of the healthier ones I've found. Had some of that for lunch. Even passed up some cake today at work.

I'm getting a head cold so I think that helps with the appetite. Hope you all had a great day!

Carissa :)

Hello...may I join in? I also post on the "Need a buddy for weight loss" thread, but I need all the encouragement I can get!

A little background...I'll be 62 in June, 5'7", 150 lbs, trying to get to 140 by my Panama Canal cruise in April. I've lost a steady 2 lbs per week for the past 3 weeks, so I'm on my way but it's a daily struggle not to give in to the temptations. I live alone (widow, no kids), retired IT administrator for a non-profit social service agency. (By the way Jenner9, I was a Juvenile Probation Officer in Nevada for 8 years, then the Chief for another 3 years until I moved back here to PA after my DH passed away.) I never had difficulty losing the few pounds I used to put on now and then, but found that as I get older the losing is much more difficult. I'm just practicing portion control, nothing fancy.

Here's to everyone's success in the weight loss battle...keep the faith!

Susan

PS - Riddle, I used to live in Deer Park...and my brother is a UC graduate.

Linkerbink:

We live on the East side of Cincinnati. Been here all my life. I lived in Hyde Park as a child. My husband is a UC grad as well. My daughter is a Xavier grad.

Welcome to our group. I have just started as well. I have a lot more to lose than you but it is all in the perspective. Once I get through the first couple of weeks and the hunger abates I am usually pumped to go for a while.

Had some sort of Thai food tonight with friends. My DH is out of town. I do not know what kind of calorie count it had but I only ate half of it.

I am trying to concentrate on the basic food groups, watch, portions, get plenty of fruits and veggies, lean protein and whole grains. Even if I lose slowly I know I am eating healthier. No more sweets period.

Good Luck Everyone!!! We can do this! After all we have the rest of our lives to perfect it.

This is DeAnna, I did good to day I stayed on my jenny craig and now it's time to go to bed (oh I forgot to tell you I worked all-day). Being and OR nurse it keeps you from snacking. Have a good and non-snacking night

Hey all!! Just checking in. I did okay today. Passed up the dounuts someone brought in for a birthday treat!! I went in the kitchen at work and everyone was eating them and they smelled great but I passed them by!!! Welcome to everyone that has joined us lately!! It is great to have some support even if it is just to chat with someone online.

So what are people doing for exercise programs, if anything?

I wish some of you gals lived closer:eek:we could walk together

or something.......

Lets see, I have a mug of coffee every morning and lately

a mixed salad for lunch...with tomatoes, sweet peppers, mushrooms,

scallions and a bit of dressing.

Last night I had a grilled chicken and veggies for dinner.

I agree... would be nice to have a "walking club" or something like that. It's been kinda cold here though. I think as soon as I feel better I'll start taking the dog for walks. Especially since it stays light so late now.

Stayed home sick from work today. Hoping this doesn't turn into an all day eating extravaganza! I'll keep checkin in here for motivation.

So far so good today. Had a Jimmy Dean Delite bowl for breakfast. Lunch shouldn't be too hard. Just gotta keep from snacking in between.

Hope you all have a great day! :)

I really wish we could get together and support each other in person..it is cool to be able to talk to each other online, but it is different when you have someone in person face to face.....

Ok, so last night I did HORRIBLE!! I ate PLuckers chicken tenders..I could not resist,:o but I am back on track today..:cool:..so hopefully i will make up the oops..

Tracy---keep it up....it is okay to mess up as long as we get back on track and do not totally give up!!

Carissa--How is the head cold..hope you are feeling better...there is nothing worse than trying to diet and feeling horrible..

Lois--sounds like you are doing good..keep it up..

Anyways..keep it up and I will talk to everyone later on and see how today went.

Jessica

Hello all! My name is Lori and I am from the cold state of Ohio. I'd love to join you all in your weight loss pursuit. We aren't cruising until January 2010 - but, I have lots of weight to toss before we sail. (Also want to be out of the 2's before we leave.) I am going to be hypnotized on 4/3. Has anyone tried that? Good luck to everyone!

Lori

GrandmaCat:

I am also from Ohio. We had a nice couple of days but it is cold again.

I just started this week. We leave in a little under 5 months. I want to be well under the 2's as well.

I was hypnotized once. It really worked for a while. I needed to go back for a refresher session and I did not. That was my mistake.

Today I am hungry but I just counted up my calories and I have eaten about 800. I still need to get through dinner and the evening. Some days I just feel so much hungrier than others.

I have started using our elliptical and walking but now my bad knee is acting up again. It just seems like a vicious cycle. I need to lose weight for my knees but when I exercise it hurts my bad knee.

Oh well, enough complaining. Any day where you stick pretty close to your plan is a great day!!

Every onward everyone. It is so nice to have all you guys to communicate with.

Hello Everyone!

My fiance and I are working towards losing/toning up for a wedding and cruise and it's been tough! Good job to everyone sticking to it and good luck with the rest of the challenge.

I saw some people are doing weight watchers, which I have done before. Not sure if the group leader suggested this website, but I still use this today..... www.dwlz.com... great information for recipes and eating out.

We are doing a Weight Watchers/Body for Life system (hated counting points) where we have 6 meals a day which includes at least a serving of veggies and a milk product and do some form of exercise 30 minutes a day three times a week. At first it was hard to eat all the food, but we have noticed it really speeds up our metabolism! Oh yeah, we cheat during the weekend as well, which has helped to stay on it! Hope this might help anyone who wants to try it out...

Keep up the good work!

I am so excited because I just found the WW Ice Cream Bars I have been looking for!

Can't wait for dessert tonight now! LOL

Dottie's is a great site... but some stuff can be outdated and wrong. Definitly a great resource when you're in a bind though!

I've done a lot better today than I expected being home all day. We're having breakfast for dinner. I'm gonna have egg beaters french toast, turkey smoked sausage, some scrambled egg beaters and a hashbrown patty! Shouldn't be too high in points (or calories!) at all!

Carissa

Archived