Need to lose before I cruise... any buddies??

CarissaH330

I feel like I've done really well all week. I have stuck to my "healthy" diet. I am diabetic and used to do really well but have gotten off track lately. I think it is a combination of stress and winter doldrums. I have started walking the dog every night - he is really happy about that.

My dog would love to go fro walks but our weather hasn't beenthe best for me to walk in..the cold gets to my fibro joints.

I do not know if this is right or wrong but I have not set a specific goal for weight loss before my cruise 8/2. I know I need to lose at least 80 lbs - 5 are gone so I guess it is 75 now.

Congrats on the 5lbs lost.:) They say setting small goals is better than expecting to lose too much and being disappointed when you don't reach it. Keep at it you can and will do great before your cruise.

I know I cannot do this by August and it would be wrong to lose that quickly anyway. I just want to feel better about myself, be a size or two smaller and feel healthier. Already I feel stronger when I walk.

I had knee replacement last summer

and am a candidate for the other knee when ever I can get around to scheduling it. Right now between my job and other things in my life it is just not a good time. However, I also know there will never be a good time to do something like that.

I wish everyone success. Keep smiling :) and Spring is just around the corner. (pretty nasty winter here in Cincinnati)

Can relate to the Cincy weather as I stated we live about 30 miles away and this winter we have had every weather pattern there is from winter snow storms...ice storms...tornados...and not to long ago we 's had hurricane winds. That's enough for any of us to have the winter blues.

Sorry to hear about your son...another sign of the times, I'm afraid. Fortunately, I'm retired and don't have to worry about layoffs. Unfortunately, my retirement nest egg has taken a hit!

It seems as if I'll have a long ways to go to my retirement years. I work as a geriatric homecare nurse and am independent. My DH worked in a steelmill for 35 years and retired 2 years ago and now works part time at Krogers.

My brother used to live in Kettering, worked for Huffy bicycles. Now he works for GE in Cleveland. He got his BA at UC and his MBA at Antioch. (I went to school in PA).

Kettering is where my older son lives and works. Has your brother had any issues with GE and his job I know they have had their problems with economy also.

Yes, doing your weight control and exercise together will be a big asset. It's not easy if you don't get support from your significant other! I never had to worry about my weight until the past few years. I'm a widow so I'm on my own for trying to lose. My husband wouldn't have had to lose any, though...he was a retired Marine and always tried to stay fit.

Sorry to hear you are widowed but you are now not alone we are here for you (at least I will be) as I need support from others besides my DH. But as lonf as he is dieting he isn't bringing in the goodies that jump into my mouth.:confused: Besides he has different ideas about how to eat to lose the weight he likes to do the Atkins diet and I don't think that is a healthy way. I believe and know from past experiences that eating small meals consisting of a lean protein/veggie/allowed carbs every 3 hours is healthier IMO

My daughter lives in Kettering and is in her last year at UD College of Law. We are taking the cruise together in August to celebrate her completion of law school and taking the bar.

I can sympathize with all of you. My husband was laid off in July after almost 32 years with the same company. He was lucky enough to get another job within 2 months. We were really fortunate. I think my job is pretty secure - I run the payroll for a large school district. Since I carry the benefits that is a relief.

Last summer before he was laid off he decided to heat our pool so we could use it more and I could use it for my knee rehab. It was quite expensive but worth it. About a week after we completed the pool work he was laid off. I know if it was reversed we never would have had the work done.

We are hoping to open the pool around May 1. That is very early here but it did wonders for my knee and my sugar. With it being heated we will just need to stay down in the water.

Good luck to everyone and thanks for posting. I just finished another healthy dinner. I still feel hungry most of the time though and will be happy when this phase is over (obviously from many years of yo-yo dieting experience I know that eventually this will pass).

I hate to arrive at the party late but I'd love to join in! I'm on day 69 of trying to reach my 35 lb loss goal by my cruise in August. Sounds like you all are motivated and encouraging each other.

I'm in my mid 40s and LOVE carbs and hate to exercise. But... I started on January 5th just moving more and eating less. Slowly I'm working up to being on the treadmill an hour a day for 5 days a week and reduced my calories by 500 a day to lose at least a pound a week. I also keep a food diary with everything I eat - including the donuts and cookies that I occassionally cheat with. :eek:

I wish everyone the best and continuted success with your weight loss goals!! :)

I have a dear friend who lives in Orange County and love it when she sends me pictures it is so beautiful there.

Sounds as if you have a good plan. Good luck

I hate to arrive at the party late but I'd love to join in! I'm on day 69 of trying to reach my 35 lb loss goal by my cruise in August. Sounds like you all are motivated and encouraging each other.

I'm in my mid 40s and LOVE carbs and hate to exercise. But... I started on January 5th just moving more and eating less. Slowly I'm working up to being on the treadmill an hour a day for 5 days a week and reduced my calories by 500 a day to lose at least a pound a week. I also keep a food diary with everything I eat - including the donuts and cookies that I occassionally cheat with. :eek:

I wish everyone the best and continuted success with your weight loss goals!! :)

My daughter lives in Kettering and is in her last year at UD College of Law. We are taking the cruise together in August to celebrate her completion of law school and taking the bar.

I can sympathize with all of you. My husband was laid off in July after almost 32 years with the same company. He was lucky enough to get another job within 2 months. We were really fortunate. I think my job is pretty secure - I run the payroll for a large school district. Since I carry the benefits that is a relief.

Glad your husband found work.it's a shame that someone can put in 32 years and have that happen to them, my son worked for his company for 4 years straight out of college. Now he is trying to find a job in his field, he is a computor tech.

Last summer before he was laid off he decided to heat our pool so we could use it more and I could use it for my knee rehab. It was quite expensive but worth it. About a week after we completed the pool work he was laid off. I know if it was reversed we never would have had the work done.

Glad it worked out the way it did.

We are hoping to open the pool around May 1. That is very early here but it did wonders for my knee and my sugar. With it being heated we will just need to stay down in the water.

Heated pool sounds nice just stay under the water:D:D

Good luck to everyone and thanks for posting. I just finished another healthy dinner. I still feel hungry most of the time though and will be happy when this phase is over (obviously from many years of yo-yo dieting experience I know that eventually this will pass).

Good job...I know I hate the munchie monsters that attack me at night..:eek: I can keep them at bay during the day but night time is different.

Just finished 20 minutes on the eliptical. I am trying to work up to the 40 I used to do. Trouble is we had to move it to an area without a TV so it is harder to stay motivated. Oh well, the dog is hovering over me waiting for his walk.

It is really nice to have others to talk to about what we are going through. I just have to keep remembering this is a life style change - not a temporary fix.

Hi everyone,

DeAnna here, I've been really busy at work this week and I'm on call this weekend and had to go in this morning:rolleyes:. Staying on track, I think working helps, and I think the fact that I'm talking to you helps, because I don't want to report that I've gained or not worked out. It makes me feel good to know that someone is in my corner waiting to hear what I've been doing with my weight and how I'm trying to lose it. I don't go weight in until Thursday 3/19 hopefully I've lost something I feel like I have, my clothes are getting bigger and scrubs (XL) are even getting to be loose:D. Welcome to the site everyone that has joined, lets all do this we can. I'll check in again tomorrow gonight for now.

Just finished 20 minutes on the eliptical. I am trying to work up to the 40 I used to do. Trouble is we had to move it to an area without a TV so it is harder to stay motivated. Oh well, the dog is hovering over me waiting for his walk.

It is really nice to have others to talk to about what we are going through. I just have to keep remembering this is a life style change - not a temporary fix.

Great job on the 20 minutes on the eliptical. :)You will get to 40 soon.

I use a Zune(ipod) when doing the treadmill at the Y. I either listen to an audio book or a movie on it.

You are so right it is a lifestyle change not a temporary fix.

I just need to remember that old habits can be broken.

Enjoy your walk with the dog.....that's more cardio.

I must admit the only thing getting exercised from me tonight are my fingers from all my posting.:rolleyes:

Hi evIeryone,

DeAnna here, I've been really busy at work this week and I'm on call this weekend and had to go in this morning:rolleyes:. Staying on track, I think working helps, and I think the fact that I'm talking to you helps, because I don't want to report that I've gained or not worked out. It makes me feel good to know that someone is in my corner waiting to hear what I've been doing with my weight and how I'm trying to lose it. I don't go weight in until Thursday 3/19 hopefully I've lost something I feel like I have, my clothes are getting bigger and scrubs (XL) are even getting to be loose:D. Welcome to the site everyone that has joined, lets all do this we can. I'll check in again tomorrow gonight for now.

DeAnna....I remember those on call days glad to not have to do them anymore.Also am glad I don't have to wear my scrubs anymore. They always made me look fatter.:eek:

I know your weigh in this Thursday will be a good one.:)

I am going to enjoy being on this site it seems as if everyone truly does understand and wants to listen and encourage.

I have a dear friend who lives in Orange County and love it when she sends me pictures it is so beautiful there.

Sounds as if you have a good plan. Good luck

:) Well, I do have to say that it is the middle of winter and this week we are expecting nothing but sunshine and highs in the upper 70s. I can't complain. As for the effort that it takes to lose just a pound - that's another story. :(

Thanks for making me feel welcome!

I will be trying to eat healthy ,get my excercise in and post....I do journal on http://www.fitday.com they also have some helpful info on their site.

Hello everyone

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend. I just opened an account on fitday.com, you are right Vicky, it is a very interesting tool to acheive our weight loss goal. I would like to loose 30 pounds by the end of June. That means 2 pounds a week. I eat healthy foods and my husband is not bringing any munchies in the house anymore

Yesterday, we did the groceries together and he helped me in my choices of food. First time he does that.

I still have not gotten on the treadmill yet. The weather outside is starting to be nicer. I will soon start taking walks. I am thinking about bying a pool in which I will be able to do some laps, we have a round one and swimming in circles is not the best.

Have a very nice sunday and be good to yourselves!!

It seems that most of your posts are from ladies. At the risk of incurring your wrath, can I, as a man, offer you all a suggestion? I know from past experience that I will gain five to seven pounds on a week long cruise. Knowing that I have made it a practice to go on a diet immediately following each cruise and to return to my normal weight. as soon as possible That way I am ready to enjoy my next cruise when the time comes. No need to worry and to diet in advance.

Hello everyone

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend. I just opened an account on fitday.com, you are right Vicky, it is a very interesting tool to acheive our weight loss goal. I would like to loose 30 pounds by the end of June. That means 2 pounds a week. I eat healthy foods and my husband is not bringing any munchies in the house anymore

Yesterday, we did the groceries together and he helped me in my choices of food. First time he does that.

I still have not gotten on the treadmill yet. The weather outside is starting to be nicer. I will soon start taking walks. I am thinking about bying a pool in which I will be able to do some laps, we have a round one and swimming in circles is not the best.

Have a very nice sunday and be good to yourselves!!

I really like to do my journal on fitday.Glad you joined and hope you find it helpful.

Go on step on that treadmill, just start off slow.

A pool in any shape sounds good to me....but since I am always going in circles:rolleyes: I probably wouldn't notice the difference:eek:

I enjoy it when DH and I shop together and try to plan meals that we both can eat (he follows a different way of eating to lose weight than I do). Our youngest son is also going to try and lose weight ...as a matter of fact I think we need to put the cats(all 3) and the dog on a healthy eating plan and exercise program. The only skinny fit one in our household is the fish and that is because it gets in alot of exercise....swimming.:D

It seems that most of your posts are from ladies. At the risk of incurring your wrath, can I, as a man, offer you all a suggestion? I know from past experience that I will gain five to seven pounds on a week long cruise. Knowing that I have made it a practice to go on a diet immediately following each cruise and to return to my normal weight. as soon as possible That way I am ready to enjoy my next cruise when the time comes. No need to worry and to diet in advance.

No wrath from me...your suggestion is a good one, but speaking for myself I found that going on our first ever cruise has inspired me to try even harder to get back in shape after 5years of a rough traveled road.(I have been on cancer meds and steriods ).

I also am hoping that after I do get fit and healthier and get back from my cruise that I make this a lifetime-lifestyle. If only for the fact that I WILL be around to take more cruises.:)

GOOD MORNING LOSERS

I hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful Sunday morning.

I have a family ladies only dinner get together at Olive Garden tonight but plan on being good.

Check in later.

BTW...Carissa thanks for starting this wonderful post.

Well I am trying to get motivated to complete all the tasks I did not complete yesterday. I usually beat myself up if I do not get done on the weekend what I had planned to do. That is really silly I know and I am trying to break the habit.

Got the scale this morning and I am down 2 more pounds, total of 7 now. Hooray! I still feel hungry after most meals - I hope that goes away soon.

Since I am diabetic I must eat a snack between most meals to keep my sugar stable. I usually have fruit or yogurt. I am also trying to eat slower! I find I eat like I have been on a 2 week fast. I am trying to enjoy my foods. One thing I did find was the vegetables for one (tried broccoli with cheese sauce). I think it is only 45 calories and helps with the hungries.

Back to the cleaning, shopping, laundry to get ready for another work week.

Thanks to everyone for keeping me motivated.

Well I am trying to get motivated to complete all the tasks I did not complete yesterday. I usually beat myself up if I do not get done on the weekend what I had planned to do. That is really silly I know and I am trying to break the habit.

Got the scale this morning and I am down 2 more pounds, total of 7 now. Hooray! I still feel hungry after most meals - I hope that goes away soon.

Since I am diabetic I must eat a snack between most meals to keep my sugar stable. I usually have fruit or yogurt. I am also trying to eat slower! I find I eat like I have been on a 2 week fast. I am trying to enjoy my foods. One thing I did find was the vegetables for one (tried broccoli with cheese sauce). I think it is only 45 calories and helps with the hungries.

Back to the cleaning, shopping, laundry to get ready for another work week.

Thanks to everyone for keeping me motivated.

Marsha....Good morning:)

Congrats on the 2 lb lose this week.

7 lbs WOW that is great.

Eating every 3 hours a small meal is what is usually recommended for diabetics. Are you getting enough protein and fiber at your meals to hold you over.

What are youeating at meal times.

The week ends go by to fast and before we know it we have to go back work. I try to take the week ends off but in my line of work it can change daily.

Hope you get all your chores done and can relax the rest of the night.

I think I am eating enough. Here is my typical day:

Breakfast - cereal (whole wheat) with a small amount of fruit on top, splenda and coffee with non-fat 1/2 and 1/2. Today though I had oatmeal, a TBS of walnuts, about 10 blueberries and splenda with coffee.

Lunch - I make a "HUGE" sandwich that is about 4 large pieces of leaf lettuce, about 3 oz of turkey on whole wheat bread. I also have raw celery, radishes or carrots

Dinner - Again, chicken or turkey or fish with a large amount of vegetables. I also have fruit with dinner.

Between breakfast (I get up real early) I usually have a fruit or a light yogurt with a small amount of fruit on top.

Between lunch and dinner I have air popped popcorn or another piece of fruit.

Sometimes before bed I have a cup of warm milk with cinnamon and vanilla in it. That helps me sleep. If I am really treating myself I will have a Michelob ultra in the evening.

That's about it. It pretty closely follows my diabetic routine. What do you think? (Oh, also tons of water and one diet soda per day)

I think I am eating enough. Here is my typical day:

Breakfast - cereal (whole wheat) with a small amount of fruit on top, splenda and coffee with non-fat 1/2 and 1/2. Today though I had oatmeal, a TBS of walnuts, about 10 blueberries and splenda with coffee.

Lunch - I make a "HUGE" sandwich that is about 4 large pieces of leaf lettuce, about 3 oz of turkey on whole wheat bread. I also have raw celery, radishes or carrots

Dinner - Again, chicken or turkey or fish with a large amount of vegetables. I also have fruit with dinner.

Between breakfast (I get up real early) I usually have a fruit or a light yogurt with a small amount of fruit on top.

Between lunch and dinner I have air popped popcorn or another piece of fruit.

Sometimes before bed I have a cup of warm milk with cinnamon and vanilla in it. That helps me sleep. If I am really treating myself I will have a Michelob ultra in the evening.

That's about it. It pretty closely follows my diabetic routine. What do you think? (Oh, also tons of water and one diet soda per day)

Marsha......your meal plan looks very good the only thing I would maybe suggest is if you are getting hungry in between meals you might want to add a 2-4 ounce lean protein with your fruit /yogurt. If your hunger persists ask your dr.

I wish my meal planning looked as good as yours:) I'm getting there but not quite yet especially with Olive Garden in the picture today:eek:I will try and not let any of those nasty little breadsticks jump into my mouth:confused:

Vicki - what would you suggest for the protein? I am just not an eater of "a piece of meat" without anything else. Yesterday I had McDonald's fruit, yogurt and walnut salad with a grilled chicken sandwich because I was out and starving. I thought the fruit salad was delicious.

As far as Olive Garden knows I know that restaurants are my downfall. A couple of weeks ago I met some friends for an early dinner. The restaurant was the type with peanuts on the table where you threw the shells on the floor. I was not eating any and they asked me if I did not like peanuts. I told everyone that I loved peanuts but that once I started I could not stop. Well we ended up sitting there talking for a couple of hours. So, of course, before the evening was over I started eating peanuts and as I predicted I could not stop. I think I am a food addict. At least you can fill up on Olive Garden salad and there are entrees on their menu that are designated as "healthy". I would just make sure the bread sticks are not close to my plate. Bread is another of my downfalls.

Well the cleaning is going pretty well. My husband is out of town working (has been for a week and will be for another week) so I only have myself and the dog to worry about (and he is enjoying the great outdoors today). I plan to do some yard clean up this afternoon to help burn calories and do something useful at the same time.

My job is very stressful at times (deadlines, deadlines, etc.) so I know I am an emotional eater. The economy definitely does not help matters either.

I decided that I am going to treat myself to a great massage at our healthplex when I go below that 200 mark. It has been forever since I was there.

Hope you have a great dinner!

Hey all...

Just thought I'd check in this morning! I've been working all weekend and am about to head to the office now. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

The good thing about working all weekend is it keeps me from eating all weekend!

I'm going to start my daily walks with the dog tomorrow! I am so excited. Finally feeling better from that miserable URI... I think I can actually breath again!

Check in with ya'll tonight when I get home from bowling! :)

Carissa :)

Welcome John, your input is welcome of course. Remember that we are here to encourage each other and we hope to be able to use your method as quickly as possible :D

:eek:I will try and not let any of those nasty little breadsticks jump into my mouth:confused:

Those nasty breadsticks are so good... Good luck ;)

Vicki - what would you suggest for the protein? I am just not an eater of "a piece of meat" without anything else. Yesterday I had McDonald's fruit, yogurt and walnut salad with a grilled chicken sandwich because I was out and starving. I thought the fruit salad was delicious.

As far as Olive Garden knows I know that restaurants are my downfall. A couple of weeks ago I met some friends for an early dinner. The restaurant was the type with peanuts on the table where you threw the shells on the floor. I was not eating any and they asked me if I did not like peanuts. I told everyone that I loved peanuts but that once I started I could not stop. Well we ended up sitting there talking for a couple of hours. So, of course, before the evening was over I started eating peanuts and as I predicted I could not stop. I think I am a food addict. At least you can fill up on Olive Garden salad and there are entrees on their menu that are designated as "healthy". I would just make sure the bread sticks are not close to my plate. Bread is another of my downfalls.

Well the cleaning is going pretty well. My husband is out of town working (has been for a week and will be for another week) so I only have myself and the dog to worry about (and he is enjoying the great outdoors today). I plan to do some yard clean up this afternoon to help burn calories and do something useful at the same time.

My job is very stressful at times (deadlines, deadlines, etc.) so I know I am an emotional eater. The economy definitely does not help matters either.

I decided that I am going to treat myself to a great massage at our healthplex when I go below that 200 mark. It has been forever since I was there.

Hope you have a great dinner!

I would try eating 2-4 ounces of chicken or turkey breast(could be left overs from the night's before dinner),3-4 oz package of tuna(easy to carry the foil pack in water), 3 oz lean beef, or even 2 oz mozz.cheese stick, I eat 3 boiled egg whites.

I didn't do to bad at Olive Gardens I had a bowl of the Tuscana Potato Soup and 1 plate of salad and only 1 bread stick jumped into my mouth..I tried to spit it out but it just wouldn't budge until I swallowed the whole thing. I drank 2 glasses of water. I find it hard to practice self control in restaurants so we don't eat out alot maybe 1 time a month.

Treating yourself is a very good idea. I too can't wait to get under the 200lb mark.

Hey all...

Just thought I'd check in this morning! I've been working all weekend and am about to head to the office now. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

The good thing about working all weekend is it keeps me from eating all weekend!

I'm going to start my daily walks with the dog tomorrow! I am so excited. Finally feeling better from that miserable URI... I think I can actually breath again!

Check in with ya'll tonight when I get home from bowling! :)

Carissa :)

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Bowling I haven't done that in a long time use to love going.

I bet the dog is excited about the walks too.:D

Welcome John, your input is welcome of course. Remember that we are here to encourage each other and we hope to be able to use your method as quickly as possible :D

Those nasty breadsticks are so good... Good luck ;)

Only 1 of those nasty little things jumped into my mouth and it was good:D

Vicki - thanks for the protein suggestions. I did pick up some low fat cheese sticks at the store that I can take to work. Wow - electric breadsticks at Olive Garden. Just like the Energizer Bunny. All kidding aside you cannot deprive yourself of everything all the time. I don't think one breadstick is that bad. Sounds like you did pretty well.

I feel pretty good tonight. I had whole wheat pasta with a small amount of spaghetti sauce and a huge salad for dinner. I keep remembering little things that helped from previous diets. I certainly have the track record for that.

I just finished 20 minutes on the eliptical and stepped up the resistance quite a bit. I used a book on cd and it really helped pass the time. Did some yard clean up this afternoon but my bad knee started really giving me trouble so I had to back off. Sometimes you are darned if you do and darned if you don't.

My fasting blood sugar this morning was 91 so I am really happy about that. Even if I never lose a pound I need to get my sugars back under control. Time to put away laundry for the week and then walk the dog and then bed! Work tomorrow.

Archived