Another Beach option

BobbieSu

Hi, I have had some contact from Hugh from the Solymar and thought I would pass on the info. If someone else knows where this is or has tried it I would be glad to hear from you.

Hi Susan,

Thanks for writing.* Yes, we are just getting started but are very excited about having you join us for half a day at Solymar.* We are 5 kilometers from Mahahual, from the Pemex, the gas station, there is a large sign on the main road that will direct you to Solymar.* It is left just beyond the service station, coming from Mahahual, you will also see the sign and be turning right.* The sign is as big as life, you can't miss it.*

The cabana would be $20 for half a day, complete with bathroom including shower.* Hammocks on the beach are free, boat ride would be no problem, snorkeling is good, however, we do not have equipment at this time.* Hopefully, by the time February rolls around, we will have some on hand.*

Food and cold drinks of any kind are available, no problem.* The key here is tell us what type of food you would like and we will have it for you.* Made to order, fish, conch, lobster if available at the time, steaks, you name it, we will cook it for you.*

Let me hear from you, will make some definite plans, of course, we do have a little time to get things together.* Again, thanks for writing, and let us know.

Debbie and Hugh, Solymar

Hugh Blackburn <daplmr@yahoo.com

http://www.solymarmahahual.com/

Have you found anyone that has used this place while at Costa Maya?

Looks interesting for the day at the beach with 6 adults and 2 childrend. We could have a bathroom for the littleones and place to clean them up and it says they have a pool also.

LKitt,

My understanding is that they are a new operation/ or new management for an old operation. Nevertheless I don't think they have been up and running long enough for anyone to have tried them yet. They were referred to me by Marcia at Mayan Garden who felt that for what I wanted to accomplish she was too far away.

So I can't vouch for them but I wanted to give their webaddress out for others who might be willing to try. Email Hugh and see what he has to say. He seemed very enthusiastic and I expect for those first couple of months will be bending over backward to cater to their guests.

Su

Cruise&dive, We will be arriving in Costa Maya the first week of Feb on the Explorer, so you will be there before us.

Email Hugh,, just be patient as they might not respond quickly, they do not have email onsite.

Su

• 1 month later...

I haven't found anyone that has gone there yet. I have received E-mail from them and would visit week of Feb 26 --I think we are there Tues of that week. I am waiting on 2nd E-mail on how to pay by PayPal. I let you know if we get this arranged. The cost is $20 dollars.

Cruiser4Life

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We spend March 1 at the Solymar. Very interesting trip. We went through the maze of shops and out the back past the big buses to the Taxi stand and ask for a Taxi to Solymar and the girl had to get the head guy to help us. He let a van driver take all 6 adults and 2 children to Solymar. They did not charge us for the childrend but did charge $15 a person $90 to take us and come back after us at 2:00 o'clock. We picked the time because we wanted to shop a little before getting back on the ship and we were not sure how things would be there.

A older gentlemen from South Carolina bought the place 2 days before Ivan. Needless to say the storm did cause him problems but did work out a good adventure for all of us. He charged $20 by pay pal for the use of the cabana for the day for all of us. He prepaired a Mexican toco family style lunch, and we had 2 rounds of drinks which came to $43 dollars. We tipped his helper (Nick from Belize) who cleaned the seaweed back to make us a little path to the ocean water and he cut down to coconuts so we could taste the coconut milk. The kids played in the sand and we all enjoyed the relaxing day in the hammocks.

http://ygpmail.aol.com/_cqr/vllogin.adp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cruised on Grand Princess in February - Went to Solymar -

Cab ride from Majahual was 20.00 total round trip- we told driver to pick us up at 3:30.

Solymar resort - not much of a resort, and is a little rough around the edges - Cabanas are there - but not worth $20.00. Rooms are clean - we did see them.

Hugh and Deb from South Carolina were very very nice, Deb was recovering from a total hip replacement operation one week before we got there - she was bed ridden.

Pool does not work - it's empty - plus they don't have power to run it - they are only on a generator.

Beers - Caronas were only 2 bucks a peice - bonus. We had some nice food - Hugh was totally hospitable - and wonderful to talk to.

The real bonus about this place is that you literally have the BEACH BY YOURSELF - you are totally away from all of the cruise ship people - Hubby and I were alone - on a beautiful beach - and it looked like something out of a carona commercial. We came home with 3 conch shells we picked up by ourselves - It was the MOST relaxing day of our trip - - just remember - keep an open mind.

good luck - Bill and Dee

Wow -- this sounds like a real option for us. I'll check the website and look at the photos. I love the "keep an open mind" comment!

$90.00 for the cab ride one day and then $20.00 another? Surely the difference can't be only b/c of the number of passengers - perhaps they were different companies???

This sounds worthwhile, thanks!

Steph

Update:

Well bummer. I can't view the photos b/c I don't have an AOL account and I just looked at their website. The website description is oodles different than the descriptions I've read here.

Can anyone tell me if the cabanas are right on the beach? Also, are they right next to each other or are they more spread out? Getting a feel for the place online is proving tricky... Thanks!

Swimmer_Steph,

I think part of the difference in cab fare was where they got the cab from and how many were in the party (8 vs 2). It sounded like the first party took the cab right from the pier area while the second group apparently went to Mahujual first and then took another cab from there to Solymar. The cab fare from the pier to Mahujual is $5 p/person RT. My impression is that the cab company at the pier is different from that in town. Things are changing fast there however and it is hard to say if that is still the case.

Su

Archived