Costa Maya Safe?

haveluggagewilltravel

Hello All,

We will be docking at Costa Maya March 26 on Voyager of the Seas.

I had considered booking a tour through an independent company for our group of 8 (grown children and assorted in laws, aged 17-80) to go to the Mayan ruins (Chaccoben (sp?)). The reports of unrest in Mexico are making me think maybe that would not be a good idea. Our son is in the Air Force and he has been told he will not be allowed to go until he attends a security briefing. So my question is twofold: (1) Is Costa Maya safe? and (2) does anybody have a reccomendation for an independent tour company to go to the ruins or should we book through Royal Caribbean/just stay on the ship?

Thanks so much for your help!

1) Absolutely safe.

2) Don't stay on the ship. Go to the little village of Majahual. Pick a spot along the malecon that looks nice and spend a relaxing day. Prices for food and drink are cheaper than at the port. Drinks at the port are cheaper than on the ship.

Don't know about the ruins, but have read that the tour can drop you off on the way back in Majahual. You can then catch a cab ($2pp) back to the port - just a 5 - 10 minute ride.

We were there in January and other than an overcast, windy day. We had a very good time.

Here is what we thought about our day:

Costa Maya: We booked this itinerary specifically to return to Costa Maya. We had visited before Hurricane Dean devastated the area. Hurricane damage is still quite visible, but they have rebuilt the port area and the town of Majahual is fighting its way back. We had our roughest seas sailing to Majahual. There were three ships scheduled for Costa Maya. We were the first to arrive and the Captain’s first attempt to dock was aborted due to high seas and winds. He tried a second time from a different angle, but also had to abort. The second ship to arrive was a HAL vessel. She too aborted and left the port area. The third ship, a smaller one, never attempted to dock. Our Captain tried a third attempt and I guess the saying “Third time’s a charm” is quite appropriate. Success. Really windy walking along the pier to the port area. All water based shore excursions again were cancelled. Port is nice and clean. There were still vacant shops here and there. Caught a cab to town and walked the malecon. Visited Pez Quadro and returned to El Delphin for a lunch of ceviche and whole fried fish. Excellent. DW ordered a margarita but told the waiter “not too big.” He said he had just the right thing for her – a special $1 margarita. It was the perfect size and tasted quite good. Returned to port, stopped for a drink at a little freestanding bar near the pool, but the wind was now making it cooler so we headed back to the ship and found a spot out of the wind.

Pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/waltm2/CostaMaya#

Edited by tandemcruzr

Costa Maya is very safe. The things you're seeing on the news are right along the U.S. Mexico border. Costa Maya is nearly 2,000 miles south of that area, almost on the Belize border. Parts of Canada are closer to the area that you're seeing on the news than Costa Maya is. No worries, have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

I think Costa Maya is very safe, so safe that I bought land there in 2003 and 2004!

I am female and have driven by myself between the port and the capital of Chetumal, (beyond the ruins), as well as the port area to Cancun on numerous occasions. I get gas, drive, find offices, go to the grocery, etc. Never had a problem. I've even driven from Phoenix, AZ to the port and back in my truck (with ex-husband)!

I also drive to Nogales, Rocky Point, and San Felipe, MX. I don't know why people are so afraid of Mexico, or where these stories come from.

There are bad areas and bad people anywhere; you should always be aware of your surroundings. I think all of us would not be walking around east LA, Detroit or the Bronx either; its common sense, and paying attention to your surroundings. A lot of what's going on now is drug related; the average person would not get a second look, however, military are targets because they're trying to stop what's going on.

As far as I know, the Costa Maya area is not a drug trafficking area, however, there are some cartels in Cancun, but I don't think most tourists run into them.

I would recommend leaving the port and doing whatever appeals to you. It's a beautiful area and the port doesn't have a real beach.

The information comes from the United States Travel Alert issued February 20, 2009. Texas full time paid military forces are now forbidden to go to Mexico for any reason without prior approval. The crime has escalated in Mexico and is no longer just along the border although that continues to be a real problem. The last update was valid through April 4, 2009 when they will issue new information. The US state department alert is through August 2009. There are plenty of posts about tourists encountering problems inside Mexico, not just the border. I for one would not take a private excursion and am planning on cancelling my Chaccoben tour.

I don't think the State Department would issue an alert (not a warning) without just cause.

Edited by Ms belp

Thanks Ms belp for sharing your opinion.

I think you will find the vast majority of visitors to Costa Maya feel very safe, even outside the port area.

I have always been amused by some of the 'helpful' infomation the State Dept publishes on a regular basis. Having been 'on the ground' in several of the 'alert' countries. The State Dept reports are usually vast generalazation of an entire country in a few paragraphs. Of course you should be aware of where you are. It is like the State Department equates the crime rate of New York City the same as Broken Bow, Nebraska. I am sure you would act differently in both cities. The same is true in Mexico Juarez Mexico and Mahhahual. Costa Maya / Mahahaual has a population of less than 1,500, don't you think everyone knows everyones business?

Of course everyone needs to make their own decision based on their comfort level. But, don't always think the government has your best interest at heart all the time.I think you will miss a great experience by not going into town.

MsBelp -- Have you not read the posts of travelers who have visited recently and experienced no problems?

There may be problems visiting border towns, and maybe other towns in central Mexico, but we have experienced no problems whatsoever in Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Puerto Morales, Costa Maya, Majahual and Tulum over the last 12 months.

As always, be aware of your surroundings and exercise good common sense as you would in any city in the US.

The state department tends to issue a blanket warning for all of Mexico, which is a very large country, because of problems in isolated ares. It would be like issuing a warning for travelers to the US because of violence in a few large cities out of the thousands of peaceful cities throughout the country.

Edited by tandemcruzr

We went to Costa Maya 2 weeks ago and toured with Ivan of The Native Choice. I am happy to recommend him 150%.:D We have been to Talum, Coba, Muyil, and Lamanai. Ivan's tour of Dzibanche and Chacchoben was the most informative, expansive, beautiful and educational of all the tours we've ever taken, anywhere. I had read all of the posts here on cruise critic before I began communicating with Ivan via email. I was surprised when he responded within 24 hours - using perfect English. Now that our family spent a day with him, I am no longer surprised, I am amazed. Ivan was the last person born at the ruins. If you read the website, you will see that before the government appropriated all of the coutry's land from all of its citizens, Ivan's family owned the ruins where he grew up; his father discovered them. A lot of what he talked to us about were things he learned from his Mayan family members, not stuff he learned out of books. He is college educated, multi-lingual, a paramedic, as well as a licensed tour guide. :) He was obviously well known and respected by every other tour leader we met along the way. I was concerned about what would happen if his van broke down, thinking it would be a rickety job like we've been on in the past. :o First, the vans are new, airconditioned, and obviously well maintained. Second, he has cellular contact with his partner and others during the tour, which would allow for a quick rescue if necessary. We felt 100% confident with him. Costa Maya is only accessible from the sea and one road. Security is everywhere, for our protection. The problems in Mexico, with the drug cartels and such, are not in the Costa Maya, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel area, but even so, the Mexican government takes tourist's safety very seriously in that part of the country. We felt safer there than we did in New Orleans. The ruins are magnificent. Ivan had a dry erase board and markers that he used to explain the significance of the buildings, their direction, the Mayan religious belief system, customs and so much more. We came home excited about pursuing more information about their history. We've started reading online and looking for books in our library. Our family is planning on going back and contracting with Ivan for a week - at least. :D We want to volunteer to help with excavating or exploring or something. You can see that Ivan provided us with more than a tour, he fired our enthusiasm and imaginations. Here is a link to his site:

http://thenativechoice.com/

They offer a myriad of tours. He gave us a group discount (our tour group consisted of six) and picked us up right outside the gate of the shopping compound built for cruisers. I'm sure he'll be as accomodating to your group as he was to ours. Ivan offered to take us to local restaurants where we could sample safe indigenous foods, but because of my diabetes we took ship food with us in backpacks. Ivan provided complimentary bottled water and juice.

I am planning on writing an extensive article about our tour sometime this week. You might find it posted under Costa Maya. I haven't figured out how to upload pictures yet, but when I do, I'll be putting some on the post.

I hope this has helped you (and other readers) feel confident about your visit to beautiful Costa Maya.:D

That's great to hear M&M. We are taking the same tour with Native Choice to the ruins in April and I can't wait. I would love to read your review when you get it posted. I am hoping they will drop us off at Majahual on the way back from the ruins. Do you know if that is possible?

Native Choice is the best....Ivan even spoke on the bus for 50 minutes going there and coming back. Very informative and responsible. Great Tours and would highly recommend. My D and myself had a wonderful tour with him in early March.

• 2 weeks later...

I got back from my cruise last Sunday. Thanks all you cruise critics for your responses! Yes, Costa Maya is safe! I don't worry so much when it is just me and my wonderful husband but throw in some elderly relatives and my children and Bam! I am concerned about safety! We had a great trip. David (Ivan's partner) actually did our tour of Chacchoben and I think they are a top notch group! I don't know who asked the question, but yes, they will stop at Majahual and let anyone get off the bus that wishes to before they head back to the port. You are then responsible to get a taxi back to the ship. This is no big deal as there are taxis readily available. The cost is $2.00 per person. Stop at Majahual and enjoy! Thanks again for your many replies to my question. That is why I love Cruise Critic and reccomend it for anyone getting ready to cruise! Ya'll are awesome!!!!

Haveluggagewilltravel

• 1 month later...

And how is it pronounced? Any nice beach areas in the Costa maya area? where you can get a chair sith an umbrella and cheap drinks? If you don't want to go to the ruins what else is fun to do there? Is it pretty?

Thanks for any info!

And how is it pronounced? Any nice beach areas in the Costa maya area? where you can get a chair sith an umbrella and cheap drinks? If you don't want to go to the ruins what else is fun to do there? Is it pretty?

Thanks for any info!

1) "Ma-who-wall" is the closest I've seen. 2) Nice beach all along the malecon in Majahual. 3) See number 2. 4) We always go to Majahual. 5) To our eyes, yes.

Enjoy :D

• 3 years later...
I think Costa Maya is very safe, so safe that I bought land there in 2003 and 2004!

I am female and have driven by myself between the port and the capital of Chetumal, (beyond the ruins), as well as the port area to Cancun on numerous occasions. I get gas, drive, find offices, go to the grocery, etc. Never had a problem. I've even driven from Phoenix, AZ to the port and back in my truck (with ex-husband)!

I also drive to Nogales, Rocky Point, and San Felipe, MX. I don't know why people are so afraid of Mexico, or where these stories come from.

There are bad areas and bad people anywhere; you should always be aware of your surroundings. I think all of us would not be walking around east LA, Detroit or the Bronx either; its common sense, and paying attention to your surroundings. A lot of what's going on now is drug related; the average person would not get a second look, however, military are targets because they're trying to stop what's going on.

As far as I know, the Costa Maya area is not a drug trafficking area, however, there are some cartels in Cancun, but I don't think most tourists run into them.

I would recommend leaving the port and doing whatever appeals to you. It's a beautiful area and the port doesn't have a real beach.

Where is it coming from? How about all the murders in Mexico. I am a retired Deputy Sheriff, who has seen it all here. I have never in my years seen anything like what is going on in Mexico. My DW and have decided to spend our money in other countries instead. Sure there is crime everywhere, the cartels are taking over Mexico. Another example, not that long ago a bus carrying excursioner's from a Carnival ship were robbed.

I am happy you have never had problem, and stay safe.

Where is it coming from? How about all the murders in Mexico. I am a retired Deputy Sheriff, who has seen it all here. I have never in my years seen anything like what is going on in Mexico. My DW and have decided to spend our money in other countries instead. Sure there is crime everywhere, the cartels are taking over Mexico. Another example, not that long ago a bus carrying excursioner's from a Carnival ship were robbed.

Really not sure what the motive is to dig up a old thread from 2009. Sure you have a choice (and opinions) and that is your right. BTW the bus incident happened 2,500 miles away on the other side of the country ( like comparing a small town in Iowa to the crime in L.A.

Really not sure what the motive is to dig up a old thread from 2009. Sure you have a choice (and opinions) and that is your right. BTW the bus incident happened 2,500 miles away on the other side of the country ( like comparing a small town in Iowa to the crime in L.A.

Yeah, I thought all of the big issues were on the Pacific side of Mexico, that's where the cruise lines are omitting stops to Puerto Vallarta, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, a retired deputy from California that digs up a three year old thread to scare people about a non issue two thousand miles away!! what's that all about. Listen to the Americans that live there and those that have been there many times. Costa Maya is certainly safer than many, many cities in the U.S.

Folks that are interested should go and enjoy themselves.

Our first trip we did a private tour to the mayan ruins - http://www.thenativechoice.com/

the second and 3rd time a trip to Maya Chan beach - http://www.costamayabeachresort.com/

good food, clean beach, showers and toilets, drinks included, kayaks and snorkelling as well as floating seats for the ocean - hammocks to relax in

all great and safe

Here is the FIRST paragraph of the US State Depts travel warning regarding Mexico:

"Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year for study, tourism, and business, including more than 150,000 who cross the border every day. The Mexican government makes a considerable effort to protect U.S. citizens and other visitors to major tourist destinations, and there is no evidence that Transnational Criminal Organizations (TCOs) have targeted U.S. visitors and residents based on their nationality. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico generally do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime reported in the border region and in areas along major trafficking routes."

Media leaves that part out but it is the first paragraph!

Wow, a retired deputy from California that digs up a three year old thread to scare people about a non issue two thousand miles away!! what's that all about. Listen to the Americans that live there and those that have been there many times. Costa Maya is certainly safer than many, many cities in the U.S.

Folks that are interested should go and enjoy themselves.

I agree that Costa Maya has been safe, and probably safer now with Princess and Carnival having left. Less tourists go there.

However, not everyone has been there. I do not even live in a US city and I can get shot in my own town and it is safe. There is nothing wrong to offer advice to cruisers to look carefully at where they go. Violence in Mexico continues and it for sure is not three years ago.

• 1 month later...

We did costa maya a few yrs back before the hurricane hit it, it may be safe but we were not thrilled with it, we did a snorkel tour there which was fine but when we got out of the water we were waiting for a bus to take us back to port and there were a few guys with M-16's watching over us, many, many military folks with rifles in and around the area we were in, I am not saying it is unsafe or safe, just giving our experience there. We have not gone on a itinerary that goes back there since. Just MY opinion for me and my family. I am sure other ppl,love this port but just not for us. At the time we went with with my DD who was 2 and my DS who was 13 at the time. Educate yourself and make your own decision. For what it is worth, we did not SEE anything dangerous or violent while we were there, beaches were beautiful.

• 2 months later...