Crowds at Holiday Inn POM

Thom524

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami pre-cruise on 3/21/2009. I would like to know what it will be like on Sunday morning as far as eating breakfast, checking out and getting a cab.Any insight will be helpfull. I'm not afraid of crowds and actually expect a mob scene I just hope I'm wrong. Thanks.

I love the HI POM. There are several cruisers that stay at the hotel. However, we did not have any issue with getting breakfast or with checking out. We did checkout early though, around 9am as we always like to get to the port early. Catching a cab was a breeze. There were several outside with more pulling up all the time. We did not see a mob scene at all, but it could be due to the early time we choose to leave.

We got a room as high up as we could facing the port. This was the view we had the day before and the day of our cruise.

112488699_fa3f48605c_o.jpg

112488833_ac57b03570_o.jpg

We didn't experience any major crowds on our recent stay at HI POM. We sat for breakfast with no wait at 9AM. If you sign up for the Priority Awards program, you'll get $5.00 off your breakfast bill.

We left for the ship around 10:30AM and there were plenty of taxi's waiting for us.

Another photo of that wonderful view. :)

IMG_0374.jpg

When we stayed there, it was congested on the elevators and in the lobby. We chose to go across the street for breakfast along the water and checked out after the crowd. Got to the ship at about 11:45. No waits anywhere. And certainly started our cruise day more relaxed.

You won't know how busy it is until you get there. Varies by day for sure. The day we checked out, a ton of cruisers that just got OFF their ship were checking in for a post cruise stay. It was definitely a mess with bags lined up all over the place and passengers unloading cabs while others pushed to get in and off to the port.

Remember if you go early, to keep your carry ons manageable as you won't be able to get in your room for a while.. and you'll be carting around whatever you carry on. Unless you check all your carry on valuables....which I wouldn't recommend.

Have a great cruise!

I'm not afraid of crowds and actually expect a mob scene I just hope I'm wrong. Thanks.

Good, then you'll be all right. ;)

Lobby and elevators a madhouse - the wait for an elevator can be excruciating. Everyone is there for the same reason as you; quite the buzz of excitement in the air, for sure.

I actually recommend not eating in the hotel (too expensive and crowded, IMO). You could have a muffin and coffee someplace else, and head over to the ship early. Remember that in just a few hours, possibly as early as 11:45, you will be well on your way to eating your weight in food anyway. :D We skipped breakfast in favor of the Welcome Aboard Luncheon. Just our choice.

Have fun!

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami pre-cruise on 3/21/2009. I would like to know what it will be like on Sunday morning as far as eating breakfast, checking out and getting a cab.Any insight will be helpfull. I'm not afraid of crowds and actually expect a mob scene I just hope I'm wrong. Thanks.

The crowds were not bad on our stay, but I would recommend getting to the lobby early, before 10:30am to checkout and you shouldn't have a problem. We ate the breakfast and it was ok, not great.

Here is some pics of our pre-cruise.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563569606BzMBAz

I agree with Langley. The hotel is convinient and nice, but I would not eat breakfast there. Costly and all you get is sub par holiday inn food. Go across the street for a more relaxing experience.

The crowds were not bad on our stay, but I would recommend getting to the lobby early, before 10:30am to checkout and you shouldn't have a problem. We ate the breakfast and it was ok, not great.

Here is some pics of our pre-cruise.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563569606BzMBAz

Loved your photos! Especially the ones of Government Cut. I don't know if you've ever noticed or not but private vessels are not allowed in or around the Port of Miami since September 11, 2001. They actually have armed boats patrolling the port.

When we take the boat from Ft. Lauderdale to South Beach, we have to cruise past the cruise ships, all the way around Dodge Island, and back around across Government Cut into the Miami Beach Marina.

Last time I sailed into the Port of Miami under private vessel was in the late 1990s!

Loved your photos! Especially the ones of Government Cut. I don't know if you've ever noticed or not but private vessels are not allowed in or around the Port of Miami since September 11, 2001. They actually have armed boats patrolling the port.

When we take the boat from Ft. Lauderdale to South Beach, we have to cruise past the cruise ships, all the way around Dodge Island, and back around across Government Cut into the Miami Beach Marina.

Last time I sailed into the Port of Miami under private vessel was in the late 1990s!

Thanks, I didn't know that about the port.

I will be staying at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami next month. Can you please tell me what the cost is for breakfast and what type of breakfast is it? Do you remember what was on the menu or what it offered if it was buffet style.

Donna:D

They do offer a buffet style breakfast for I believe approx. $12.99 or you can just get items off their breakfast menu. Either is all your normal breakfast foods.....bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, toast, potatoes, cereals, pancakes etc. The wait staff in the restaurant were all VERY nice. It is a wonderful place to stay pre-cruise!

Donna,

Regarding the breakfast, I believe the cost for the buffet for three people was around $50. The add a 15% tip to everyone, no matter how people are eating. The food is standard buffet type eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, etc.

When we were there last, there were a lot of people and the food ran out a lot and whenever new food was brought out people would rush up and clean it out.

I would recommend going across the street to the mall or having something light and getting to the ship early to get some better food.

We've stayed there twice, not bad. We're trying the Hyatt Regency next month. Got a good deal. Would also like to try Inter-Continental. Travel-Zoo has a $99 deal at the Inter-Continental.

We walked around and stopped at a Starbucks for a light breakfast. Plenty to eat once on board.

We took the $10 shuttle last time. I would recommend a cab if possible.

Nicest thing about the HI POM is it's proximity to Bayside Marketplace. It's a tourist trap, but hey, your on vacation.

We've stayed there twice, not bad. We're trying the Hyatt Regency next month. Got a good deal. Would also like to try Inter-Continental. Travel-Zoo has a $99 deal at the Inter-Continental.

We walked around and stopped at a Starbucks for a light breakfast. Plenty to eat once on board.

We took the $10 shuttle last time. I would recommend a cab if possible.

Nicest thing about the HI POM is it's proximity to Bayside Marketplace. It's a tourist trap, but hey, your on vacation.

I second the deal on travelzoo for the InterContinental for $99! That is dirt cheap for this hotel and it is sooo nice. So, not really trying to sway anyone away from the HI but if you are paying more to stay there, you may want to consider the IC (okay guess I am trying to sway you guys, ha ha...just hate to see someone pay more for a lesser star hotel)

i was also looking at the intercontinental hotel is it a 4 star hotel and only for 100 bucks. i thought that was a steal it also real close to the port of miami. Does anyone else know whats close to it things to see i mean. I personally don't want to spent so much money on a one night pre cruise hotel but i want something that looks nice or is near lots of things. So if anyone has anymore suggestions that would be great!!!

i was also looking at the intercontinental hotel is it a 4 star hotel and only for 100 bucks. i thought that was a steal it also real close to the port of miami. Does anyone else know whats close to it things to see i mean. I personally don't want to spent so much money on a one night pre cruise hotel but i want something that looks nice or is near lots of things. So if anyone has anymore suggestions that would be great!!!

I posted to you on the other thread too but wanted to add that both HI and the IC hotels are near the port, and both are within walking distance of Bayside. But other than that, there is nothing in the downtown area. As far as site seeing, check out the link I gave you in the other thread about the boat tour.

Great info AND pictures! Can anyone suggest a relatively quick and inexpensive (well, as inexpensive goes in Miami, LOL) to grab some muffins and juice/coffee at Bayside? We're now staying 2 nights pre-cruise and I'm looking for ways to trim the ol' budget. I chose to stay there bc we're bringing the two kids and there's atleast SOME to do at Bayside across the street without having to cab it all over creation with them.

Thanks!

Archived