Is Port Canaveral a hassle to cruise from??

sunlover5

We have the Dream booked for March 2010. Now my DS and her DH want to go. I started doing some research and it has been years since we cruised the Big Red Boat from there. For those who have recently, is getting a rental car, etc. a hassle?? We are so use to FLL and being right there from the airport. Just curious as we are looking at cruises going out of FLL too.

Thanks!!

Found where it is 5 miles from the port. It gets good reviews on Tripadvisor but seems everyone likes the Radisson Port or a few others a little closer. We don't need to be on the beach. Would like to use HH points as my DS and her DH are going and would like to save us both some $$.

If you have stayed there, how is it?? We would have a rental car so would not need a shuttle.

Thank you!!

We have found Port Caneveral to be the easiset port to sail from. We flew into Orlando, rented a car from Budget and spent the night in Cocoa Beach at the Hilton. The next morning we ate breakfast at the hotel, checked out, took the car rental to the local Budget office and they took us to the Port in a shuttle van. We we returned Budget picked us up for our rental car reservation for after the cruise.

I cruised from the port several years ago and had no problem. We stayed at the Radison and they did a drive and sail deal. We left our car at the hotel and they transported us to and from the ship. When we arrived back in port at the end of the cruise they had vans waiting on us and we didn't have to call them for a pickup.

We have the Dream booked for March 2010. Now my DS and her DH want to go. I started doing some research and it has been years since we cruised the Big Red Boat from there. For those who have recently, is getting a rental car, etc. a hassle?? We are so use to FLL and being right there from the airport. Just curious as we are looking at cruises going out of FLL too.

Thanks!!

Funny question. This might be the best port on the planet!

Sorry didn't mean to be funny. Like I said it has been over 10 years, plus it will be my sisters 1st cruise and didn''t want any surprises!! Did not actually mean embarkation/debarkation. More like getting the rental, hotels etc.

Sorry didn't mean to be funny. Like I said it has been over 10 years, plus it will be my sisters 1st cruise and didn''t want any surprises!! Did not actually mean embarkation/debarkation. More like getting the rental, hotels etc.

I was only kidding I just found it funny because of the zoos in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. You will find the laid back feeling easy to deal with.

We do not live in an urban area and a few years ago, flew into Orlando and rented a car to Cocoa Beach (Port Canaveral). It was a very easy drive and used Budget to drop off the car in Cocoa Beach but assume there must be other rental companies near the port. Love the Cocoa Beach area. Not the FLL or MIA excitement but still a nice area, in my opinion. We thought cruising out of PC was very easy and the port itself, very nice. We sailed the Carnival Glory and loved the ship!

Also, many hotel choices in PC area. Radission seems to be popular but there are many others.

We will have to get back to the car rental after the cruise. Would you suggest a taxi to take to the rental place or use their shuttle??? When I book flights going to try and get 1:00 pm or after!!

We are leaning toward the Hampton Inn. We will have a rental so we can drive around that day and evening.

I too am worried about getting back to the rental place after my cruise. I have a flight at 3:45...is that enough time to get on the rental car shuttle and pick up the car etc? Never rented a car before...so it makes me nervous :o

The port is the easiest one of all. Two years ago we were off the ship and out the door in about 10 minutes.

For a rental car, I would reserve one in advance and then you'll one of the company's vans waiting for you out in the not very crowded parking area. They will take you the 6 or 8 minutes into town. You can then easily drop the car off at the Orlando airport. I have made 2 pm flights this way no problem.

I too am worried about getting back to the rental place after my cruise. I have a flight at 3:45...is that enough time to get on the rental car shuttle and pick up the car etc? Never rented a car before...so it makes me nervous :o

Not to worry its plenty of time.

Archived