Another Clothes Post

CandCrew

I've started thinking more about what I'm going to take for our 12 day cruisetour at the end of July. From what I gather it could be "toasty" during the land portion (like up to 80-90* F) but to expect mid-60's while on the ship and in port? I'm pretty cold natured so that factors in as well. What I'm thinking of taking is:

1 pair jeans

1 pair khakis

1 pair black pants (for dinner; worn 2-3 times)

2 skirts (for dinner)

1 pair shorts

1 pair capris (or skip the shorts and do 2 pairs capris)

1 pair walking shoes (more cool/wet weather type + are dark)

1 pair athletic shoes (would match any casual wear--will wear on plane)

2 pair dress shoes (1 for formal, 1 for dinner other nights)

3-4 short sleeved shirts

2 long sleeved shirts

2 light sweaters

1 microfleece pullover (to layer with jacket below)

1 water-repellant jacket (will take on plane with me)

Hat/"earband"/gloves

+ the obvious socks, undies, formal wear, swim suit

I know I can get all of this into a 22" case with room for toiletries. I grew up flying stand-by and learned to pack for 5+ days in a 15"x15"x6" bag just in case we got bumped for an extended period. DH will be more of a problem so I'll "let" him have his carry-on + a checked bag (with any of my overflow going there, if there is any + room for what we pick up on the way). BTW--The checked bag is going to port during our land tour portion. If DH can't get 5 days worth of stuff in a carry-on, I'll just have to pack for him.

Am I way off base here?

Hi, I'd definitely change the jacket to water proof. Consider changing one of the long sleeved shirts to a long-sleeved t-shirt (which can double as a base layer if it is cold). I'm taking NO jeans this time -- a pair of microfibre (quick dry) pants instead. But that isn't something everyone is comfortable with -- my DH, for one -- he lives in jeans.

Thanks for the heads up on the microfiber pants. If I can find any that don't make me look "lumpy" I might go that route. As for the jacket, I went back and looked at the one I'm going to buy (Lands End) and it is, in fact, waterproof + has a "flap over the zipper. Thanks for the heads up though!

i just practiced putting my clothes in my 1 carry-on bag i am taking in may. i rolled them and they all fit

2 pair jeans

2 sweaters

1 nice top ( i am on ncl with freestyle )

1 black pair pants

1 pair jogger pants

1 hooded sweatshirt

1 pair black slip-ons

1 turtleneck

a lightweight nylon windbreaker ( easy to fold and pack )

on the plane i will have on a pair of knit pants/comfy top and tennies

and that is it for me except for undies and a couple nightshirts.

i have learned to pack really light because i always come home with cloths i never wear. if i need a t-shirt they are everywhere in the ports.

Just a quick point, we were on an Alaskan cruise last August and it was COLD, rained every day. Bring umbrella, silk leggings and definitely waterproof coat. Princess did a mightly big business in warm rain coats! Also binoculars, they did a brisk business in that as well (for the whales). :)

Do you do laundry all week or what? I could never survive a week or more with so few clothes!

I'm with you. :D I try to pack light which I have gotten better at over the years :rolleyes: but still could not do my Alaska trip on such few cloths.

I'm a slob though and tend to wear what I eat when on vacation. :D

Very helpful information, but I have some questions. Someone mentioned "warm rain coats." I have a fleece jacket and purchased a waterproof Columbia lightweight shell to wear over the fleece. I also purchased long silk underwear. Will this not be warm enough in mid-June??

Also, we are on Princess and I assumed the ladies needed "cocktail-type" dresses for formal nights and men needed suits. Is this not the case? It sure would help if we didn't need to pack this type of clothing.

What do people typically wear during the day while cruising? I am thinking jeans or casual wear, correct?

And how warm will land temps be in mid-June? We will be on land for 4 days of our landcruise and I was hoping to be able to pack a small carry-on for land and send our luggage on to the ship with the bulk of our items. Will this work.

We are first time cruisers and first time in Alaska so every bit of informaion is very appreciated. Thanks!

Tinkertoys, My fleece jacket was all I needed for our cruise tour trip in Sept. We were very lucky and had no rain, but a waterproof shell over the fleece should be sufficient. We lived in Fairbanks for 2 yrs. and the weather there in summer could be very hot during the day, cooling off to 60s at night. It was sunny and warm for us in Denali in Sept and I ended up with my jacket around my waist most of the time.

Daytime dress is very casual. Jeans, sweatshirts, flannel shirts. We were so comfortable in our casual wear that we ate most of our meals at the buffet so we wouldn't have to change. We went to the dining room for formal night to get the lobster. I wore a cocktail type pant suit and my dh wore dress pants, a long sleeve dress shirt w/ tie - no suit jacket. No problem. Alaska tours tend to be more laid back.

I think that we were just unlucky with the weather. The cruise before us and after had great warm weather. I had the silk leggings, fleece jacket, columbia rain coat over top of a tank top, long sleeve shirt and vest and I was still cold! I live in San Diego so maybe that was the reason. My feet were good as I had hiking boots with warm socks (hat, mitts and scarf too). My capri's never saw the light of day. Beautiful however and we had a great time. The helicopter and glacier excursions had to be cancelled because of weather but we did zip lining, river rafting, canoeing, and 4 x 4's anyway. During the day the ship attire was casual but most everyone dressed up a bit for dinner in the dining rooms, not many jeans and of course formal night is actually semi formal. Have a great time. :)

Don't forget every port is packed with t-shirt sweatshirt souveniers! I always end up buying a sweatshirt to wear over a t-shirt. And I wear jeans every day.

if i get something on myself i have a laundry stick in my small purse to clean up the mess. and it is so easy to pick up tshirts and things in all the ports. i will have plenty of clothes since i can wear the jean/pants more than once. they will be clean and who will notice anyway ??

if i get something on myself i have a laundry stick in my small purse to clean up the mess. and it is so easy to pick up tshirts and things in all the ports. i will have plenty of clothes since i can wear the jean/pants more than once. they will be clean and who will notice anyway ??

What laundry stick do you use? Some I have used leave a circle mark where I have used it. Does that make sense?

Thanks

What laundry stick do you use? Some I have used leave a circle mark where I have used it. Does that make sense?

Thanks

i used my friends, it was a tide brand that you pressed down on the spot and it took the blotch right out. the spot had to dry but it worked pretty good.

i used my friends, it was a tide brand that you pressed down on the spot and it took the blotch right out. the spot had to dry but it worked pretty good.

Thanks, I will get the tide one.

Archived