Should we leave our rings on the ship?

freedomhoneymoon09

The ship is not responsible for the loss of valuables left in the cabin, even if they are in a safe. Last year while on the Caribbean Princesss, our safe door wouldn't open. When we called our steward he was able to open it to replace the battery so I would never ever leave my rings.

You could always put it in a safe deposit at the Purser's desk. I've never lost anything out of a safe. When my DH put the wrong code in, security from the front desk had to come and open it.

Wear your rings, it will prevent you (the wife) from getting "hit on" as much while you are here. Just don't let anyone "shake your hand" unless its a tight fitting ring. That is one of the classic pick pocket tricks, but not just here, mine was stolen that way in NYC, lol. Most Jamaican women wear big rings, but they usually aren't real, so rings are pretty safe...when on your finger. Hope that is helpful. In truth....I would worry more about your cell phone (if it is a nice one) those are highly prized by pick pockets in Ja.

It's uncommon for a tour group to be robbed. On my last cruise two couples (separate incidents) were robbed and beaten on a Sunday in Antigua. The streets were deserted and shops were closed. So I've learned to stay in port or stick to an excursion.

The most common way to lose honeymoon jewelry is because it doesn't fit properly. Many beautiful rings are in the bottom of the Caribbean Sea because they slipped off. So be sure your new bands are snug before you leave.

Just use common sense and listen to your guts. Behave on these islands just like you would anywhere else in the world. They all have drug problems too.

Have a great time and be safe.

My dh proposed to me on a cruise and I was soooo careful with the ring we purchased on the trip in St. Thomas. Princess Cays almost got to keep it though when I took it off to put on suntan lotion. I FORGOT to put it back on (not being in the habit) and layed down. WHen I realized my ring wasn't on, I JUMPED up (dumb me) and spent two hours looking in the sand for it! My DH finally found it after an exhausted search, and I went back to the boat and threw up.

I guess my best advice is to leave it on all the time. (=

I would, and do, leave my rings in the safe when going ashore. Years ago (1976) while on our honeymoon in Ocho Rios my new DH had his ring slip off in the water at Dunns River Falls...he dove after it and slid a while - but finally got ahold of it....scared me - thought I would become a widow on my honeymoon. I'm sure it was because it was new - and probably a little lose (not a problem anymore) - but we don't take a chance. Never had a problem with the safe on a ship.

Since it sounds like leaving it at home is not possible, I would recommend wearing the ring the entire time. We have been on several cruises and never had a problem with something being stolen from the ship, until we went on a Hawaiian cruise - a diamond band was taken from our room. Since we hadn't had a problem before, we did not opt for the insurance. I was out the loss of the ring. The pursers desk may be an option but I would inquire first as to how many people can access the valuables and if they are responsible for any loss.

I would, and do, leave my rings in the safe when going ashore. Years ago (1976) while on our honeymoon in Ocho Rios my new DH had his ring slip off in the water at Dunns River Falls...he dove after it and slid a while - but finally got ahold of it....scared me - thought I would become a widow on my honeymoon. I'm sure it was because it was new - and probably a little lose (not a problem anymore) - but we don't take a chance. Never had a problem with the safe on a ship.

My anniversary ring came off at the falls. I was so upset. One of the locals found it for me. But never again will I wear rings if there is water involved.

Hi

I would leave the rings on the ship, we always leave them when we go into the water in case they fall off, they are a good fit the rings but just in case. When we went to Dunns River in 2005 I remember a couple on there honeymoon, and the wife was heartbroken as she lost her ring climbing the falls, she was in tears the whole journey back to the hotel in M/Bay, after seeing that I would not risk it.

• 1 month later...

For me, depends on what I'm doing. I'm a scuba diver so I don't wear my ring for that, almost had my finger bit off by a fish thinking the shiny thing was dinner once. If I'm just around, I don't worry so much about it, if someone is going to steal it, I guess they need it more than I do and hope they are happy with it. Actually, anymore, it's getting harder to take off, so that helps. I usually leave it on otherwise.

Just to let everyone know....we left our rings on the ship in the safe multiple times and they were fine! We actually only wore them to dinner since we were so scared to lose them.

Hi, from Albuquerque!:p

Archived